OBA for camping/beach and trails

goldeneagle1976

Have a 2017 F150 used for camping with family, on-beach driving every other weekend in summer and some trails. Looking at the Viair Heavy Duty OBA. Airing up 31” tires (eventually 33s), air mattresses, bike tires, etc.
Any reason I should look at the Constant Duty system? I know it has 100% duty cycle but the CFMs are lower and it seems less powerful in the short run than the Heavy Duty.

Howard70

Adventurer
If you anticipate adding air to four large tires sequentially, I suspect the 100% duty cycle system would get you moving faster. Once a compressor overheats and you have to wait for it to cool down before you can start using it again the time gained by a higher, but discontinuous CFM may quickly disappear. If you were filling one tire then the higher CFM might be faster. Bike tires and air mattresses can be handled by any compressor (even a hand pump).

Howard

huachuca

Adventurer
I'd also go with the continuous duty for the reasons listed by Howard70. I didn't do a lot of research but it looked like going from 15-30 on 35's was just 45 seconds quicker for the HD version and the price delta was only around $50.

highwest

I had a Viair 88P that never cycled off with 32” tires. They list their duty cycle as 25min @ 30psi - so not 100%. That being said, I now have an ARB twin that is way faster.

CFMGarage

Maybe look at a different company and you can get both 100% duty cycle and more CFM. Check out Extreme Outback Products. They sell nice portable setups or you can go for a mounted option as well.

axlesandantennas

Approved Vendor
Have a 2017 F150 used for camping with family, on-beach driving every other weekend in summer and some trails. Looking at the Viair Heavy Duty OBA. Airing up 31” tires (eventually 33s), air mattresses, bike tires, etc.
Any reason I should look at the Constant Duty system? I know it has 100% duty cycle but the CFMs are lower and it seems less powerful in the short run than the Heavy Duty.

Here is a little review video I made for the Viair 300P. I air up from 20 to 35 psi for all 4 tires in the video and out on the trail. I've never had it shut off. I run 33ish inch tires. So very similar to what you are asking about.

bas157

For air mattresses, you might be better getting a cheapo high volume low pressure inflator designed for air mattresses, pool floats, etc...that will be quicker for those if you've got the space for them (the one I have takes up the space of maybe 2 cans of soda. Presonally, I'd go continuous duty, say you've got a buddy or two with you who also needs to air up, you'll be able to help them out.

billiebob

I'd always want a 100% duty cycle. 50% duty with double the CFMs....... they will finish in tie.
But regardless, most compressors do incredibly high and useless PSI.
Find one with high CFMs and 50PSI which is all you'll need.
You will never need 200psi lol

PS if it has a 200psi capability and a 50% duty cycle, it'll likely never shut down, it'll likely pump at 30psi forever.

Same with winches, the duty cycle kicks in a full load. I doubt I have ever been at 100% load and my winch has never cycled out.

and this....
"you might be better getting a cheapo high volume low pressure inflator designed for air mattresses"

Last edited:

jadmt

ignore button user
I have had a 400P for years and it has never kicked off and has done 8 35/12.5-17’s from 10’sh psi to mid 30’s psi with no trouble. It has had a lot of use and i would buy another. I think there are way better pumps for air mattress's like was already stated. the secret to good long life on portable air pumps is to have the engine running as they like more volts

krick3tt

Adventurer
I have had a Viair for years that fits exactly in a fat 50 ammo can. Dust and waterproof and easily transported to another vehicle if required. Used it for my MOG and Pinzgauer and now the Land Rover. The idea of adding it to a vehicle never came to mind although some may as to suits their needs.
I use this to inflate an air mattress:

7wt

Expedition Leader
Be sure to consider the possibility of coming across someone else on the trail that needs help. I had a Viair 400 even though I only has 32" tires. More than one occasion I had to share my air with someone who's CO2 tank was flat or their compressor took a dive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles