NR's 2007 Toyota Sequoia - Soy-Quoia Build

NitroRoo

We have had our 01 for about a year now. Love the truck. I actually bought it with the lift and wheel spacers.

If you are planning on using it as a regular family vehicle keep tire noise in mind. My tires are loud and we've done quite a few road trips. Gets old. But they had too much tread left to replace right away. Next year. I still want an AT tire bit hopefully something less noisy.

Looking forward to following your build/adventures!

75d3682a7e65f0535ad2aa67cab34191.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

nrlarson0107

I cringe at your front end modifications.. eeek
I have a red 06 with 89,000 on the clock. I'm running stock sized BFG rugged terrains. Even have the soccer mom running boards on it still. Though I managed to clip one pretty good a while back taking the dog to the kennel, dirt road, caught a hidden rock on the shoulder..

Anyway. The rugged Terrains seem a little more mud capable than the old KOs I had on my 93 Landcrusher. But the new KO2s would probably be at the top of my list now.

I was a guest tag along with a Gwagen group a few yrs ago. We were just north of the Rubicon up in Tahoe. The Tree did very well, except in a crossed up rocky climb where lacking a rear locker required two tries before I carried enough momentum to climb through the crossed up section. The rest was easy going for the tree. Even the muddy bog crossing which I was pretty sure we were going to stuck in. Turned out the BFGs even stock size pulled us through easily, ran 18psi.

I talked to Bruce last yr when our stock bumper was split and cracked. He had all the plate parts for a bumper said it was a week or so to assemble. Possible you might get lucky. I ended up not getting one given my local body shop had some kind of tool and they simply fixed the plastic thing for $600. Had it been a full replacement? I would have called Bruce and told him to start assembling a bumper.

I currently have rugged terrains installed on the Soy and really do not like them. That being said, I only have about 100 feet in off highway travel. They were able to get me out of the ditch after my accident! When I compare them to my KO2s on the Disco, They look much more mild.

I managed to damage both running boards. They will not be reinstalled! I will run without for the time being. When I get time, I'm going to build my own set of sliders. I plan to use the box steel as compressed air storage.

We have had our 01 for about a year now. Love the truck. I actually bought it with the lift and wheel spacers.

If you are planning on using it as a regular family vehicle keep tire noise in mind. My tires are loud and we've done quite a few road trips. Gets old. But they had too much tread left to replace right away. Next year. I still want an AT tire bit hopefully something less noisy.

Looking forward to following your build/adventures!

75d3682a7e65f0535ad2aa67cab34191.jpg

NitroRoo, That a nice looking '01! As for tires, the only real reason ATs are on my list is because of the family. The vehicle is already much quieter than the Montero it's replacing but tire noise is one concern I have. We will take the Soy on some vacations but my wife likes to take her Swagger Wagon minivan but will take the Soy once or twice a year.

Is your lift full coils or spacers in the front? Any idea how wide your wheel spacers are? I'm thinking I'm going to push the tires out 1.25-1.5 inches.

NitroRoo

I currently have rugged terrains installed on the Soy and really do not like them. That being said, I only have about 100 feet in off highway travel. They were able to get me out of the ditch after my accident! When I compare them to my KO2s on the Disco, They look much more mild.

I managed to damage both running boards. They will not be reinstalled! I will run without for the time being. When I get time, I'm going to build my own set of sliders. I plan to use the box steel as compressed air storage.

NitroRoo, That a nice looking '01! As for tires, the only real reason ATs are on my list is because of the family. The vehicle is already much quieter than the Montero it's replacing but tire noise is one concern I have. We will take the Soy on some vacations but my wife likes to take her Swagger Wagon minivan but will take the Soy once or twice a year.

Is your lift full coils or spacers in the front? Any idea how wide your wheel spacers are? I'm thinking I'm going to push the tires out 1.25-1.5 inches.
The lift is just spacers. The wheel spacers I have not measured but I took a peak and would guess 1.25"

My tires are wild country radial xtx e rated in 285/75-16. PO never rotated the tires for 25k miles which ended up cupping pretty bad. So they're loud but I'm too cheap to replace them before they're worn out. Plus I'm due for a timing belt so that's takes priority.

nrlarson0107

Great news, everything is settled with insurance and I get to keep the truck. I had to argue to keep a drivable vehicle with only superficial damage. I had to actually argue to SAVE them money... I will never understand insurance. It is anything but logical. Moving on...

I ordered my new bumper! This will be the biggest time delay. It is being custom built and I was promised a ship date by Christmas. Shop is going to get right on the body damage and brake line repair from my crash. I have to head out of town on Sunday for work and won't be back for two weeks. That's going to be a hard two weeks but I am looking forward to giving the Soy and altitude adjustment when I return! I should have everything set for the tire install but I'm holding off on my alignment until I have the bumper mounted and front struts set with the correct amount of preload.

More to come soon!

nrlarson0107

Updates have been slow as I have been on the road the last couple of weeks. I have decided on tires but I'm going to pull a reality tv type reveal when they get installed.

Mostly I wanted to post about my super score today! My wife's brother live in NC and happened to be driving by someone selling a Wilco Hitchgate. He had only had it for about 6 months but I had noticed it on CL for almost 2 months. I called him and settled on an awesome deal. Many of the additional mounts had never been taken out of the box! When I looked up the entire package, it retailed for over $1,000 and I scored it all for $350. For all my losses this round, it's nice to have a win!

Stay tuned for more updates early next week.

nrlarson0107

Update time! Things have been moving pretty slow with the holidays and all... However, we have made some progress in the past few days!

Last Wednesday I received two shipments:
IMG_4317_720.jpgIMG_4320_720.jpg

After much deliberation, I decided to go with Treadwright 285/70R17 Warden's. (BFG All Terrain Clone) With the discount I got they were just over half the cost of the Duratrac's. If I like them I'm going to rep them pretty hard. If they don't live up to my expectations, I will hand them off and buy a set of Duratrac's.

I also received my winch. I opted to go with the Smittybilt X2O synthetic rope. I like the wireless option for the winch and the additional safety of the synthetic rope. It will require a bit more attention to maintain but nothing terrible.

On Thursday I received this gem:
IMG_4322_720.jpg
My Brute Fab Force bumper! I promptly dropped it off at the body shop for them to paint. I was torn between flat black or color matched. I opted for a color match thinking I could take it to flat black if I did not like it. Today we mounted the bumper. First we mounted the winch.
IMG_4326_720.jpg

Then attached the bumper to the Soy.
IMG_4327_720.jpg

IMG_4328_720.jpg

My wife and I leave on Friday for an anniversary vacation. We will be back the middle of next week and then it will be all hands on deck to get the lift installed, as well as the dual battery system, LED lights, and all other electrical components.

Stay tuned!

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Wow. Love the color match. Looks great. I got the Same winch. Haven't used it yet lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nrlarson0107

Nice, looks great!

Whats your plan for the dual battery setup?

I'm planning to run dual optimas in the factory battery location. I already had a group 35 yellow top and group 34 blue top. I bought a heavy solenoid and dual volt meters and I already had most of the wiring needed to do the install. The yellow top will replace the factory battery with an additional 4 gauge lead to the solenoid. The other post of the solenoid will run to the Blue top. When the voltage gets too low on the blue top I will flip the switch and charge it. I also have plans to add a 100 watt solar panel at some point to feed the blue top but that is down the road. Like I said, it's a simple, crude setup but it's inexpensive as I already had most of the items. I will post up some pictures when I get it installed.

fireball

Explorer
You might want to consider running a single Group 31 with the 100W solar panel. That should keep a fridge running almost indefinitely. I spent a lot of money and time assembling a dual battery setup on my 100, and unless you plan on staying parked for long periods of time during your trips I don't feel it is worth it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94