NR's 2007 Toyota Sequoia - Soy-Quoia Build

nrlarson0107

Greeting all. I have decided to subject all interested parties to my newest overlanding build. This is taking off a little quicker than anticipated but more on that later...

I was in the process of building a 2003 Mitsubishi Montero that my family has owned for many years but it kept nickel and diming me to death. We bought it about 3 years ago thinking the only issue was a blown motor. I rebuilt the motor and we began discovering all the other neglected issues with the vehicle. While returning from Green Bay, WI on a work trip, the Montero died on me about a half an hour from home. Time to move on...

After a discussion with my wife, we decided it was time for me to finally give up on all my project vehicles (all 3) and buy something that was not a budget fixer. I have always been a project buyer. So this was a little foreign to me! My father had a 1st gen Tundra shortly after they came out. I loved that pickup. It had a comfortable ride, decent power, and decent MPG. With 3 boys an extended cab Tundra was going to be a little tight. I carry a decent amount of equipment, at times, for work so the box was a big benefit but it would have to have a lockable topper. My wife suggested I just get a Sequoia. I really wanted a Tundra but I was having trouble finding a 1st gen Tundra, with no rust, acceptable miles, without giving up my 1st born. Sequoias were a little more realistic in the price category. I agreed to test drive one if my equipment could fit in the back, 3rd row removed, 2nd row seat folded forward. It just so happened that our local Toyota dealer had just gotten one in! The pictures made the vehicle look like it was in decent shape and it was fully loaded. We took it for a test drive and it looked pretty good. One big selling point for me was the second row captains seats. The kids and wife, the dvd player... Never been a fan but that's a forum in and of it self. It had a shock that was on its way out and some other very minor issues but the price was good. I talked them down a little more due to the "needed work" and we purchased the Sequoia.

I give you the Soy-Quoia: (Named by my 5 year old who struggled with the name but we decided we liked his version better)
IMG_4122_720.jpg

I could salvage a few items from my Montero. Namely my communications and roof rack. I knew I was going to have to do some suspension work soon. I figured I'd have a couple months and then would have to install new shocks. I planned to lift the front 2.5" and the rear 1.5" at that time and install new shoes to go with the altitude adjustment. I have the self leveling rear which makes things a little more tricky to lift but did some research and figured out a way. I ordered the new shocks for the front and rear, front lift spacers, and a couple other small odds and ends that were not very necessary but I was ordering parts and could convince my wife they were "needed"! I was not exactly sure (still not 100% sure) which route I wanted to go for tires so those would come later. On our first trip out of town, the front left shock gave up the ghost. Crap. I haven't received the new shocks yet and I had to leave for 2 weeks on a work trip.

I left town on a bad shock and headed east for 2 weeks. Due to an impending storm, I headed home a day early and got a hotel room in Rogers, MN. I decided it was better to get a good nights sleep and head out in the morning than try to drive through the night on bad roads. I woke up and hit the road. Or try to hit the road. It was covered in snow and ice. I made it 120 of the 160 miles home before hydroplaning on slush, sending me into the new fancy metal center barricade. Much can be said about driving too fast, over driving your vehicles, yada yada yada. I have driven in some of the worst conditions in the past 20 years, and have never had a single accident! Bottom line is, I was not familiar enough with my vehicle and, having been gone from my family for too long, I was in too much of a hurry. Interesting fact though, the interstate was shut down very shortly after I had my accident.

I give you the barricade modified Soy:
IMG_4171_720.jpg

So, here I am... I feel lucky to have not had more damage. It looks bad but it's not as bad as it could have been. I severed a brake line and knocked the crap out of the drivers side wheel. (read have to have an alignment) I have full coverage on the vehicle and will wait to see what comes of it. However, I'm willing to bet the amount we get will pay off the little amount we financed and leave me a very decent amount for my new build.

My biggest heartache was that I had planned to lead a trip up to northern MN on Saturday. This was going to be the maiden voyage, and, judging by the condition, the first off road trip for the Soy!

So... With out further ado, my much accelerated build list:

2.5" front lift (spacers) 1.5" Rear Lift (Slightly custom)
ARB Bull Bar Winch bumper (Designed for Tundra but will fit)
Bilstein Shocks and Struts (Struts will be preloaded to adjust for additional bumper weight)
285/70R17 Tires and wheel spacers (Not Sure what tires yet but will be ordered very soon)
"Custom" roof rack made from ATV Ramp
Communications (need to remount antenna, likely in new bumper)
Rear Mount for Spare (Will be temporary hitch mount but I plan to adapt a 100 Series bumper or design my own with a swing out)
Snorkel (Modified 100 Series install. Already ordered, hasn't arrived)

That's it off the top of my head for immediate installs. More will come as I continue to plan and modify my previous plans for the Montero. Stay tuned for the progress!

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Nice tree. Glad to see more on expo. I have a tundra now and would love to add a tree to the collection. Garage space and money is tight as it is trying to build the two rigs I have now lol. Can't wait too see more updates! If you haven't gotten the ARB. Brute Force Fab makes a sequioa bumper that looks better than the ARB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Retired Tanker

Explorer
Welcome to the family of Tree Huggers!

We have the occasional bad weather, and I usually end up pulling cars up the hill into our subdivision until the plows get to us. I did happen to "glide" through an intersection down in Tennessee a couple of years ago, and it was a surreal feeling. That's a lot of weight to lose control of!

I'm glad to know you're safe! Keep posting pix of the next stages of your "modifications."

nrlarson0107

Nice tree. Glad to see more on expo. I have a tundra now and would love to add a tree to the collection. Garage space and money is tight as it is trying to build the two rigs I have now lol. Can't wait too see more updates! If you haven't gotten the ARB. Brute Force Fab makes a sequioa bumper that looks better than the ARB

toyotech, I have looked into the Brute Force Fab bumper. Website didn't list the Sequoia bumper so I reached out to them. I received no response. In an attempt to find a phone number, I found many forum posts about unhappy customers paying a deposit but not getting the bumper in a timely manner and having trouble getting in touch with the shop. The BFF bumpers look so much better than the ARBs but if I run the possibility of not getting a bumper in a timely manner, I will be up the creek! Many owners speak very highly of the build quality! It's a shame.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
toyotech, I have looked into the Brute Force Fab bumper. Website didn't list the Sequoia bumper so I reached out to them. I received no response. In an attempt to find a phone number, I found many forum posts about unhappy customers paying a deposit but not getting the bumper in a timely manner and having trouble getting in touch with the shop. The BFF bumpers look so much better than the ARBs but if I run the possibility of not getting a bumper in a timely manner, I will be up the creek! Many owners speak very highly of the build quality! It's a shame.

He is local to me and we are good friends. I been helping tundra/sequoia owners order his bumpers. Did you fill out his contact form on his site!? If not you can deal with me and I'll do my best to get your order in and to you in a timely manner. I know his lead time is 10weeks righty now.
I can also give you his number directly if you want it.
He also knows he needs to work on his customer responses but in order to keep his prices down he is a one man show. That's why I'm helping out on his sales side of just the tundra / sequoia stuff.

Bumper looks just like the tundra one.

1195f44bfafee42099ab48c311a7b0b8.jpg

fireball

Explorer
Thanks for posting the build details. Look forward to following along. My wife DDs an '06. She's done a good job keeping me away from it so far! Only upgrade is +1 sized KO2s.

nrlarson0107

He is local to me and we are good friends. I been helping tundra/sequoia owners order his bumpers. Did you fill out his contact form on his site!? If not you can deal with me and I'll do my best to get your order in and to you in a timely manner. I know his lead time is 10weeks righty now.
I can also give you his number directly if you want it.
He also knows he needs to work on his customer responses but in order to keep his prices down he is a one man show. That's why I'm helping out on his sales side of just the tundra / sequoia stuff.

Bumper looks just like the tundra one.

1195f44bfafee42099ab48c311a7b0b8.jpg

I actually contacted him a week or two ago asking about the sequoia bumper. I also offered to help with a sequoia rear bumper design, as I know he was working on some plans but didn't like the design. I work in the manufacturing design industry, specifically on the quality side. I'm planning to design and build a rear but help from fab community is always appreciated.

10 weeks out is pushing it for me. I would love to talk to him and see what can be done about the schedule. If you could get his contact and PM me, I would appreciate it. I have seen a couple other bumpers and love the look.

nrlarson0107

Thanks for posting the build details. Look forward to following along. My wife DDs an '06. She's done a good job keeping me away from it so far! Only upgrade is +1 sized KO2s.

fireball, how do you like the KO2s on the tree and what load range are you running? They are one of the few ATs on my shortlist of tires. I currently have a set on my '03 Disco and love them. However, I'm leaning a little more aggressive on this build. I still have a week or two before I pull the trigger...

fireball

Explorer
They are the load range E's. Wanted to be able to take it on the trails and safely tow the trailer if needed. Very happy with them so far, the snowflake rating was an added bonus on the new ko2s.

What are you considering that is more aggressive than the ko2? If this is a "do-all" truck for your family I can't imagine a better choice.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
They are the load range E's. Wanted to be able to take it on the trails and safely tow the trailer if needed. Very happy with them so far, the snowflake rating was an added bonus on the new ko2s.

What are you considering that is more aggressive than the ko2? If this is a "do-all" truck for your family I can't imagine a better choice.

The originals KO are snowflake rated as well. I currently have two sets of KO on both my trucks and love them. I wanna jump to KO2 if I can sell my current sets.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nrlarson0107

I'm leaning towards a little more mud tire, as much as I don't want to... I live in Minnesota and, even though I am not a "mud bogger", the vast majority of decent trails will involve crossing some pretty sizable mud pits. One option I'm also leaning towards is the Duratrac. I currently have those installed on my '03 Montero. The new Wrangler MT/Rs are on the list as well as the BFG Mud Terrain.

I'm considering giving Treadwrights a shot. I'm very intrigued with the product and process. The guard dog is a similar tread pattern to the previous Wrangler MT/R pattern. I know a guy that is on his 3rd set and will never buy anything else.

As you can see, I still have a lot of thinking to do. At this point, I still have a week or two to decide but I would like to decide soon.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I cringe at your front end modifications.. eeek
I have a red 06 with 89,000 on the clock. I'm running stock sized BFG rugged terrains. Even have the soccer mom running boards on it still. Though I managed to clip one pretty good a while back taking the dog to the kennel, dirt road, caught a hidden rock on the shoulder..

Anyway. The rugged Terrains seem a little more mud capable than the old KOs I had on my 93 Landcrusher. But the new KO2s would probably be at the top of my list now.

I was a guest tag along with a Gwagen group a few yrs ago. We were just north of the Rubicon up in Tahoe. The Tree did very well, except in a crossed up rocky climb where lacking a rear locker required two tries before I carried enough momentum to climb through the crossed up section. The rest was easy going for the tree. Even the muddy bog crossing which I was pretty sure we were going to stuck in. Turned out the BFGs even stock size pulled us through easily, ran 18psi.

I talked to Bruce last yr when our stock bumper was split and cracked. He had all the plate parts for a bumper said it was a week or so to assemble. Possible you might get lucky. I ended up not getting one given my local body shop had some kind of tool and they simply fixed the plastic thing for $600. Had it been a full replacement? I would have called Bruce and told him to start assembling a bumper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94