NPR Build out

Michelin also lists a relatively new offering of 325/85R16 XZL. 5500 lb/tire (11000 per axle) Requires at least (strong) 8” wheel, ~38.7” tall, expensive and likely not easy to find but probably in production.
140K iow 68mph/110kph

Parkrider

Used plusnuts to attach wood strips to the metal cross supportsScreenshot_20200819-055520.png
The dados at the top are for running wires. Bed is going on top of platform garage area below.

Parkrider

Screenshot_20200824-202921.png
Couch/dinette area. Installed all three windows and waiting on hardware to permanently mount the wall panels. All rough wiring done, no crimp connectors complete harness soldered together.

Parkrider

IMG_20201001_164649302.jpg Truck is back on the road now registered and insured as a RV so I can legally visit national parks.

Attachments

• IMG_20201001_172449517.jpg
    IMG_20201001_172449517.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 41
Last edited:

Parkrider

I still have some odds and ends to finish up but it's usable for weekend trips at least. I'm happy with the final weight of the truck, well under 10,000 pounds and that's with 42 gallons of water on board.Screenshot_20201002-085732.png

Curtis in Texas

Adventurer
Being a KLR Guy myself let me put this bug in your ear about how to carry your KLR with you. Without putting it in the box.
Google "Red Ant Cycle Carrier". I used to work for the Factory back in the early 70's.
It's a heck of a cycle carrier that can be mounted higher than normal on your truck than the normal Off The Rack cycle carrier.

I built one for my class A Motorhome with a few improvements so that I can load and carry, not ony my 06 KLR but also my big Yamaha 1200cc Tenere.

Here's a brief gist of what makes the Red Ant better (IMHO) than the ordinary cycle carrier.
It pivots on one end (the left side) to swing out. As it swings out the ( right end) rail lowers until perpindicular and the tip touches the ground. Because my bumper height is so tall mine rotate 115 degrees before the it lowers enough to touch the ground.
I beefed mine up for the Teneree's weight and added a winch to the front wheel stop so I can pull the bike up the now angled rail until the wheel touches the wheel stop. Then the bike straps down to arms on the rail. The winch is then attached by a pully to the right side of the rail tip and the end hook attached to the right side carrier bracket. A touch of the winch and it pulls the rail parallel to the truck, and the rail raises as it rotates to the bracket. (Of course I have to have the rail at 90 degrees roatation or less to raise it. Which is why I used small caster wheels on the tip.)

The rail then bolts down to the brackets on both sides for transportation. NIce and high! (And if you really want to get it mounted up, putting a railextension will work real well to allow the bike to roll up to the wheel stop.)

Getting the bike off is the reverse efforts.

Parkrider

Sounds like a cool concept. As of right now my plan is to use the two existing 3x3 steel tubes as receivers slipping 2.5x2.5 square stock of the carrier inside of them and hitch pins to secure. I plan to have it pivot to allow access to the rear compartment of the truck. Loading and unloading will be with a ramp. IMG_20200814_153824654_HDR.jpgthe 3x3 is tied into the frame in multiple spots and should have no issue holding the klr.

Parkrider

We did our first trip in the truck just a quick overnight in the Allegheny national Forest.IMG_20201011_085449621.jpgScreenshot_20201017-081144.pngScreenshot_20201017-081552.png
Found a cool old bus for sale on the way home 1950 FlxibleScreenshot_20201017-081932.pngScreenshot_20201017-081940.png

Parkrider

Been using the truck but have managed to get some work done tooScreenshot_20210707-154023.pngScreenshot_20210707-154034.pngScreenshot_20210707-154012.pngScreenshot_20210707-154246.pngScreenshot_20210707-122949.png
I did everything myself, I'm not a welder but the bike hasn't fallen off. The lumber I milled with my Alaskan chainsaw Mill

Curtis in Texas

Adventurer
Well, as usual I'm a little late to the party. Really jealous that you've managed to build your dream Expedition Camper.
I''m a KLR Guy too, so here's how I transport my bikes. My way is a little different than how you solved the problem.

I thought I'd share this to you and others who might want to transport their motorcycle behind their Adventure Vehicles in a unique way that gives you more cleanance and makes loading a breeze. You will find it interesting if nothing elsel

A little back story. Back in 1973 I worked in a small Factory that made motorcycle carriers. I am one not to pass up a good opportunity to learn some cool engineering. So I jumped at the chance to learn how Factory production worked.

As I worked there making these carriers I studied how they actually function outside the norm. And am still impressed that it didn't catch on any more than it did. Im my opinion it should have set the Industry Standard.

About 15 years ago I was wanting to built a bike carrier to put on the back of my 38" Class A Motorcoach. But still wanted to retain the ability to pull a Towed. (My Rock Crawler) And I remembered the Red Ant Motorcycle Carrier I built back in my early 20's.

I worked with Richard Chandler (The Inventor) and even helped fine tune the assembly line a little.
So in 2006 I set about to build my own Red Ant Carrier, only beefier. Plan was to buy a BMW GS1200 in the new future.
I ended up buying a 1200 XTCYAmaha Super Tenere in 2014, but rode my 2006 KLLR for years. Still ride in in fact.!

Here's the link to the Patent. And if you download the PGF file you can see the drawings. The only ting missing is the dimensions. But if you're a good Fabricator you'll find that part easy. Definitly download the drawings that are linked about 1/2 way down the page...

I built mine BEEFY! I used a 1" grade 8 bolt for the pivot pin, and all brackets are 1/4 inch steel. I made mine so that in the parked position it's 32 inches above the ground. But still will angle down 20 degrees at a 180 degree swing. Plus If needed I can add a short pice of extra ramp. I added an electric winch to mine so I can pull my motorcycles up the ramp and hold it in place against the wheel stop while I tie the bike down to the rail. Then that same winch line can be moved to the rail back up into the horizontal position.

I did add 2-2 inch reciever hitches to the frame ends of the coach, rather than a bolt on system iike the original design.
And did the same to the back of my pickup so I could use the carrier on the back of my short bed Dodge!

Long story short is, the right side of the rail is camped down in the carry position, but once unclamped the motorcycle rail can be swung out and pivoted on the left reciever bracket. As it rotates, it lowers the tip (right side rail) down at an angle.
The secret is the pin is angles at 10 degrees in stowed position. So a a 180 degree swing will give the rail 20 degrees of down angle. It's really slick.

It doesn't give you a big rear deck, like you have now, but does allow you to carry your bike up as high as you want to not kill your angle of approach. And like a said an extension ramp can give you more carried height. And with the winch on the wheel stop rolling a bike down a steep angle a lot simplier. Hint, I use a strap around the foot peg to raise and lower it with the winch line. My winch control is remote control too. So not hard to work it and hold the bike to guide it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne