NPR Build out

Parkrider

I'm thinking about doing a light rv conversion to my old work truck for a possible cross country ramble next year. What I am working with is a 2016 Isuzu NPR hd with the 5.2 diesel and auto trans. The truck has 80,000 miles and I've owned it a little over a year. I knew the truck has done a lot of heavy towing before I bought it as a got it from a friend and co-worker but the price was right. Soon after I bought it less then 10,000 miles ago I did a PM on it so it's good to go. With that out the way I've got a lot of ideas bouncing around of how to convert the box to a living space. I know I want at least 2 probably 3 windows, a vent fan, solar, queen bed and the ability to cook inside. Layout is yet to be determined first I have to clean out the box and remove the shelving to get a feel for what I'm working with. Anyway this is what I'm starting withIMG_20200728_180558366_HDR.jpg

Spanna 53

Does the truck have a side entry door? you can make the most of your space underneath the body with boxes we have a slide out BBQ , gas bottle cupboard etc by fitting the spare tyre to the rear , and water tanks in the centre between the chassis rails , at 14foot ours is a bit longer but have a queen size bed across the back kitchen with 150 lts fridge and gas oven and sink in the canter on either side a couch style table at the front with no walk through to the cabin which works for us 1EA8E0AD-EEEC-483A-ACC8-15A648CF3B61.jpeg25FE2DA4-B629-40EE-9F81-14CDEFAD5EFA.jpeg0AF7964C-11FD-42CF-9290-28F09E279A5D.jpeg6704A38D-678C-451D-BA4D-D4A54F2A4BE8.jpeg

Parkrider

Yes on the passenger side it has a 3 foot wide door. The door being so far forward limits layout opinions. I like the idea of boxes on the underside and have a couple small boxes that will work for tools and jack storage. If budget allows I will add a larger box also. I'm thinking about removing a rear door entirely and installing a wall with a couple windows in it's place. I was planning to locate 2 spare tires on a rack on top of the cab, not the easiest to access but out of the way. Spanna53 that's a great looking rig! I like the fact you have a pop top that allows for a lower overall height. Do you ever wish you had a door in the back wall?IMG_20200728_180640576_HDR.jpg

Parkrider

I was second guessing if my 11' box was gonna be roomy enough but after cleaning it out I think it'll be fine. I still plan to remove the plywood and insulate the walls as well as the roof but think I will play around with layout. I'm leaning towards putting the bed/dinette combo on the short wall between the back door and side door. I'm still going back and forth weather or not I want to remove the rear rollup door completely. I main reason for wanting to keep it is the fact it makes the truck look like a work truck and will allow for more stealth camping options. Of course when there's windows in the thing and my KLR hanging off the back am I really fooling anyone, probably not.

Brenie

I good start is to go collect some large cardboard boxes and mock up your fit out, gives you a chance to walk around amongst it.

Parkrider

After emptying the truck out I thought it would be a great time to see where the suspension is sitting.IMG_20200807_180903754.jpgyes your reading that right 2 inches. Unacceptable. Custom leafs would be great but this isn't that kind of build. My idea is remove the two top overload springs cut them down approximately the length of the mounting pad of the axle and use them as a block to gain more travel and a better ride. Keep in mind the center bolt of the spring pack will keep all leafs in place.IMG_20200807_181007008.jpg
IMG_20200807_180903754.jpgIMG_20200807_181007008.jpgIMG_20200807_181157319.jpgthese top overload springs placed between the spring pack and axle would nearly double the travel before it bottoms out. I am also thinking of removing a leaf out of the main pack for a better ride and more travel but I'm gonna get it weighed before I make that decision. The truck is rated to carry around 5000 pounds, the camper conversion with my KLR on the carrier should come in around half that.

Parkrider

This build is gonna jump around a lot, it's just how my mind works. I should also add that it's gonna be done on a budget, it should be called the this is what I got build because a lot of what goes in and on the truck is what I have from other camping,4wheeling and travel platforms. The cost of this build will not exceed the cost of diesel fuel for the trip. Top priority is a safe, comfortable and reliable base camp camper to travel and see interesting, sometimes remote parts of the country. Places I can't access within the capabilities of the 2 wheel drive Isuzu will be where the KLR comes inScreenshot_20200809-071143.pngim also taking my bicycle, hiking boots and possibly my kayak if I have room.

Parkrider

It's been a productive couple days. Removed all the plywood to get a idea of how I'm planning to insulate and figure out window sizes. I also removed the back roll up door, that thing is heavy as h#//. I'll try to get pics tmrw

Parkrider

Back wall built with exit window framed in. Door opening framed with aluminum angle to stiffen and give me something to mount the rear wall to. FRP panels on outside,trim and butyl tape on the way so I can mount permanentlyIMG_20200812_173459193_HDR.jpgIMG_20200811_173059479_HDR.jpg

Parkrider

IMG_20200814_145707296_HDR.jpgrear wall is in. Unfortunately when I went to order the rear exit window they were out of stock but I did order 2 windows for the bed area and 1 for the dinette area. I'm thinking about putting a shower in also

Parkrider

I have a new set of 265-75-16 on my trooper I was thinking about using. Is it possible to get 16 inch super single wheels?Screenshot_20200815-114027.png

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Is it possible to get 16 inch super single wheels?
Earthcruiser USA used to sell 16" alloy singles, that came from Australia, but that was quite some time ago.
you never know, they may still have them.

Having said that, be mindful that the singles I mentioned are not really suited for a Canter at its full GVM.

Earthcruiser USA used to sell 16" alloy singles, that came from Australia, but that was quite some time ago.
you never know, they may still have them.

Having said that, be mindful that the singles I mentioned are not really suited for a Canter at its full GVM.
Michelin 255/100R16 XZL are rated at 4240 lb or almost 8500 lb/axle (126K/134J). Hard to find but not impossible.

Parkrider

Thank you I'll contact Earthcruiser. My Yokohamas are rated at 3700 a tire. I expect the rear axle weight after the build out and with the Klr on back to come in around 6000 or so, of course I'll get it weighted just to be safe. The npr has a gvw of 14,500 but I'm hoping to be around 10,000. I installed most of the insulation and received the windows in, also bought a new tool that should come in handy for the walls and ceiling. I'll try to get pics up soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles