NP242 transfer case in a JKU?

JDaPP

Adventurer
I have a 2012 jeep wrangler (jku) Rubicon. I like the jeep but I really miss the selec trac np 242 I have in my liberty. I know many people will think I am crazy but it is something I use all the time and the boss and I have found it to make our driving experience more enjoyable. I know it will not be for everyone and I have already looked at all the advantages of the various jeep transfer cases and buying a different vehicle is not an option. I am not the best with understanding the mechanics with all of it (especially the axle spline stuff) which is why I wanted to get some help with some of my questions.

- I know the 242 was in the XJ (KJ too) as well as the 231 so there should be some interchangeablity between the two? My understanding is 241 and 231 are similar to same? I believe these are 23 spline?
- Is it possible to swap the 242 in to the Rubicon (it has Dana 44 front and back+wa580)? If not could it be done on a sport or sahara with the Dana 30 front/Dana 44 rear?
- non Rubicon D30 front - 27sp inner / 32sp outer D44 rear - 30sp
- Rubicon D44 front - 30sp inner / 32sp outer D44 rear - 32sp
- I also realize this may mess with the computers, is there a way to reprogram it? I talked to AEV about their procal but the guy focused on the fact the liberty had a independent front suspension completely ignoring the fact that the transfer case is also used with solid front axles.

Thanks for all the help.

JDaPP

Adventurer
Thanks, I tried a couple of jeep forums and either get no response or a lecture about how great the current transfer case is. I was hoping with the combination of jeep types here maybe I might catch a larger knowledge pool. Appreciate the link, I will try there again as well too.

JDaPP

Adventurer
Thanks. I had seen that one but I didn't remember it having that level of detail. Maybe I just understand it better now. Thanks for pulling that up!

PhulesAU

Explorer
Digging for that kind of information can be a bit overwhelming. Good Luck, will be keeping a eye out for updates.

Thean

Pile-O-Parts
The JK is a 23 spline, circle 6 bolt pattern at back of transmission. The differences are in input shaft length of tcase. Out put shaft of trans. The tcase should bolt up with no issue. The JK tcase does not use a speedometer in the tailhousing. So you could plug the speedometer hole in the 242. The low range switch should move over with no issue. If i remember correctly, the hole size and thread are the same. As far as the linkage shift patterns are concerned, im unsure the differences in the clocking or actuation. Again, im fairly certain its close. Being the JK uses a cable shifter, i dont see why you couldnt make some easy enough mods to make it work in the event that shift arm travel is different.

BigDaveZJ

Adventurer
Keep in that the 242 will only have the 2.72 low range reduction, not the 4:1 that your Rubi has now. That would outweigh the full time 4wd option for me by a LOT.

JDaPP

Adventurer
The JK is a 23 spline, circle 6 bolt pattern at back of transmission. The differences are in input shaft length of tcase. Out put shaft of trans. The tcase should bolt up with no issue. The JK tcase does not use a speedometer in the tailhousing. So you could plug the speedometer hole in the 242. The low range switch should move over with no issue. If i remember correctly, the hole size and thread are the same. As far as the linkage shift patterns are concerned, im unsure the differences in the clocking or actuation. Again, im fairly certain its close. Being the JK uses a cable shifter, i dont see why you couldnt make some easy enough mods to make it work in the event that shift arm travel is different.

That is great info thank you. I am going to start planning this out for next year if I can find a transfer case for a good price.

JDaPP

Adventurer
Keep in that the 242 will only have the 2.72 low range reduction, not the 4:1 that your Rubi has now. That would outweigh the full time 4wd option for me by a LOT.

Yep tracking the loss of 4:1. I bought the Rubicon because I got a great price and I really wanted the lockers. I really haven't used any of it as much as I would like but I use the full time all of the time so I think for me it makes sense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles