Novice Trailer Build

Garet89

I didn't notice this before but your axle/suspension is really boogered up. You have what apears to be a 4 inch dropped axle and then super long shackles to raise it back up. I would recommend buying a new straight axle with brakes and then shorten up the shackles
It does seem odd doesnt it? Are they any foreseeable issues with running it this way? I've been trying to keep this project as low budget as possible so I don't know if I can swing buying a new axle atm. That being said, down the road I do want to probably sell this trailer and build another trailer that is smaller and more resembles my jeep. Do you know of a good source to find an axle with the 5x5.5 bolt pattern that is the same width as the narrow dana 30 on my jeep? Not sure of the exact width atm but i think it's around 55"?

jwiereng

I had a custom axle made. $200 ish.
I got to specify hub gas dimension, spring center, drop vs rise, camber vs straight, brake flange y/n and weight rating. Also chose ex lube spindles.

I am sure 5 on 5.5 could be had on 3500 lbs axle.

cerka.ca is a Canadian supplier of dexter axles.

Check with you local trailer manufacturer ask where they get theirs or ask if they’ll order/make one for you.

Garet89

Was able to get the gas struts put on last night. I ordered a kit for camper beds that came with two 150lb struts and all the hardware needed. Then I simply adapted it to lift my trailer lid. Worked out really well.

Attachments

• 3.8A.pdf
    154.5 KB · Views: 5

Garet89

Made some progress. Brushed the entire trailer in POR-15 to make sure she lasts forever.
After that I sprayed a black satin topcoat on to protect the POR-15 from ultraviolet rays.
I'm digging the look so far. Next steps are a bike rack on top and a battery box for the tongue. Anybody know if there are any handy battery kits that come with everything a guy would need to run a few outlets, exterior lights, sound system?

billiebob

Highway only. I'll have to look into what it will take to add brakes to the trailer. Appreciate the advice!
I tow 2000# 10,000 miles a year in the mountains without trailer brakes. 80,000 miles on the trailer. Zero issues. But do not cut corners with the CJ brakes. Discs on the front???? I'm thinking you should be well under 2000#.
Well I was able to add fenders and a lid from my last update. As a way to cut weight I switched to an aluminum tread plate for the lid. Even did a trial run with my CJ7. She pulls like a dream.
View attachment 503008View attachment 503007View attachment 503006View attachment 503005
Looks like a real good balance of wheelbase, tongue length, overhang.
Looking at the trailer frame, axle, springs, I'm thinking it likely had a 1000# rating.
Did you keep the rating plate/decal?

billiebob

I would recommend buying a new straight axle with brakes and then shorten up the shackles
This ^^^^ for sure.
A new axle is inevitable, even without the brakes. And a straight axle is way better for an off road trailer.
Maybe wait till you are all done and loaded, weigh it and buy the correct axle/spring combination.
I'm pretty sure even with food and water you will be close to 1000#.

Any welding shop, truck shop should be able to build the exact axle. I'm not sure how common thev5on5.5 is. The standard for wheel ends is 5on4.5.

Last edited:

Upnarms

I tow an 800lb (unloaded) trailer with my TJ. No way I would do without electric brakes. You will appreciate that feeling of drag you get from the trailer braking when going down hills. Jeep brakes are horrible as it is without weight behind.

The 2000lb max tow is cause of the short wheel base. It doesn't take a lot for the tail to wag the dog. The power you are putting in will be nice, but don't push that weight limit.

The 4 door jeeps go to 4000lb max tow, longer wheel base.

Just my 2 cents

Attachments

• 20170506_111836.jpg
    20170506_111836.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 14

billiebob

4 door jeeps go to 4000lb max tow,
JKU is rated 3500#, the LJ, a 2 door TJ plus 10" in the wheelbase is rated 3500# too.
There was a year, 2015? or 2016? when the owners manual listed the 2 door JK with a 4.10 ratio with a 3500# tow rating also.

Last edited:

Garet89

Does anybody have any good links to axles that come set up with brakes? Not looking to spend a fortune here.

jwiereng

Princess Auto is a good place if you’re in Canada or live close to the border.

Aaaleon

I used a 3500# axle with 10" Brakes using the prodigy p2 controller. Mine follows me on some pretty rough terrain and it's nice when coming down something really steep or off-camber to not be pushed around by the trailer. Mine weighs-in at about 1900# loaded.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles