Not your usual Cherokee (XJ) expo build

Chi-Town

The guy under the car
I have been drooling over the rigs I see here and have decided to build my 98' Cherokee Sport into a capable expedition vehicle.

Because of my truck having some miles on it this will be more than a "what can I bolt on?" thread. I am going to try and cover the repair and renewal of components as I do it. I'll also try and provide the links to the parts and information I use.

Here is my list of areas to cover:

Cooling: Engine / Drive train / Passengers

Electrical: Batteries / Charging / Starting / Engine Off Draw / Solar / Communications

Supplies: Water / Food / Fuel / Clothes

Shelter: Climate / light / Heat & Cooling / Waste handling / Sleeping

Storage: Drawers / Racks / Trailers / Cases & Tubs

Vehicle Ability: Reliability / Suspension / Tires / Armor / Ride Quality

This is going to be a long thread with lots of pictures so stay tuned
mine.jpg

Last edited:

d67u57

Adventurer
looks immaculate. 'some miles' means 150 or 300? :)

ive seen a couple in the high 300-400 thousand km's,

and i believe one or two around the half a mil mark but those im pretty sure had an engine and tranny rebuild. already.

Chi-Town

The guy under the car
Thanks for the compliments.

She's got 171k on the clock.

I'm sorting through the current pictures of the work I've already done, should have them up in a day or so.

d67u57

Adventurer
*does some math...

273,600 km's.

around 300k km's some need tranny and engine work. others dont. :p

if fluids analysis comes back fine, you got good compression, and so on?

go for it.

worse case scenario you bolt them on the replacement if this one gives the ghost.

though if the body stays in that shape?

hell. when and or if engine goes, swap time!!!

Chi-Town

The guy under the car
Engine compression and leakdown are good. I've had to fix the normal oil leaks (valve cover, oil filter adapter) and gave her a fresh tune up. As for trans and transfer case she needs a little work. My np242 t-case has a bearing growl in 4wd and the chain has a little more droop than I I'd like so it'll get a full rebuild. The AW4 is still going strong but will get a full service with some minor valve body tweaks to help firm up the shifts and raise line pressure along with a full set of -6 trans lines and a setrab cooler.

XJINTX

Explorer
Thread HiJack... :( My 2000 has an oil leak on the oil filter adapter... I've heard horror stories about replaceing it. How did yours go??? I have access to a lift if you think that helps!

BlackClassic

If Not Now When?
Nice start, looks very clean. You guys are talking about miles or kilometers on your rig? You got me pretty confused. 171k miles isn't so bad mine has 187k miles and runs like a top.

Chi-Town

The guy under the car
It's actually not that bad. :)

I ordered a set of O-rings from 4WD and went over to Harbor Freight to source a T60 Torx socket ($10 for the set) since mine seems to had gone missing.

Throw your favorite drain pan underneath and remove your oil filter.

Now here’s the fun part. When Jeep was assembling the Cherokee they gave us these great 4.0 engines and plenty of engine bay room to work on them, except for the oil filter adapter housing…

The bolt sits roughly 2″ away from the frame rail so there is no room to put a a ratchet with the T60 Torx bit on it. So you have to tap the bit out of the socket (look in the ratchet end of the socket you see the hole to knock it out) and then use a wrench on it to break loose this unbelievably tight bolt. The only help I can give you is to tell you to be patient and keep the bit straight in the bolt.

You have either had success in loosening the bolt or have now towed you Jeep to your favorite mechanic to torment him. lol

Once you have the bolt all the way out you can remove the filter adapter where you can see all the o-rings. clean off the housing and replace the original o-rings which are hard and square now with the soft and round new ones. I do recommend that you use a little synthetic grease to hold them in place while you reattach the filter housing.
20130115_174802.jpg20130115_174815.jpg

Tighten do the bolt to 50 ft/lbs or as close to as tight as it was originally was as you can get it.

Re-install your oil filter, start the car, check your oil level and grab some Simple Green to clean everything off.

Chi-Town

The guy under the car
On to the rocker cover gasket and grommets. While this isn't a hard job it can get a little messy. I started off by disconnecting the throttle, cruise, and transmission cables from the throttle body then removing the 3 10mm bolts that hold the cable bracket down to the intake manifold. Once you have those out of the way you can remove the plastic spark plug wire retainer with two 7/16 nuts that hold it down. After you have all that unbolted you can disconnect the two hoses on top of the valve cover, be careful as these are usually hardened due to age and can easily break the plastic nipples they are attached to if pulled too hard. After all of that you can actually remove the 7/16 bolts and studs that hold the rocker cover down and remove the old gasket. Take note which bolts and studs go where as you take them off so you can re-install them correctly. You'll have to wiggle the rocker cover to be able to lift it off as there is a giant washer on the rear head stud that holds down the ground strap to the fire wall, you can remove it for this service if you prefer but make sure it is clean and tight when you are done otherwise you will have lots of fun electrical issues!
20130223_102105.jpg
Now that the rocker cover is removed you can see the rockers, valve springs, and push rods. I usually give these a thorough visual inspection to look for any signs of fatigue and or excessive heat which can show a lack of lubrication. The old rocker cover gasket will lift off the two locating pins and fit snugly in the bottom of the nearest trash can.
20130223_102124.jpg
Grab a clean rag or shop towel and wipe down the sealing surface on the cylinder head till it's clean and then simply lay the new gasket down making sure you line up the holes for the locating pins. Then Clean off the valve cover sealing surface and if your gasket kit came with them you can replace the grommets on the hold downs also. I also like to replace the breather nipple grommets because usually they have also hardened and can seep oil. Take not that if you choose to replace them you should probably replace the two breather nipples as they like to break when being removed.
20130223_102339.jpg
Re-install the rocker cover and torque the bolts to the factory spec which is 70-80 inch/lbs starting from the center and working out to the ends. Re-install all the other hardware and hoses and you're good to go. Start the engine and inspect for leaks, if there are none shut it off and check the oil level and correct as necessary.

I don't have the dreaded rear main seal leak but I'm sure it will show up eventually…

Some actual moving forward news lol

I purchased a set of 5 TJ Moab 16x8 wheels with good MT/R's on them for a really good deal but I'm not sure if I want to keep the tires as I have really had my eye on a set of Falken Wild Peak A/Ts if my budget will allow.

I had a great technical conversation with Nick over at Expedition Lighting and ordered up a 22" led light bar and a few of the 2x2 pods to be mounted up later, If you really want to know how LED lighting works Nick is the man to talk to.

I'm thinking of working on a C-Clip retainer eliminator for my Chrysler 8.25 also. I like the 8.25 because I have one in my truck (duh) and it has quite a few redeeming qualities for my purposes over the bolt in XJ D44 and D35 that Jeep offered. I like the thicker axle tubes for better handling of heavy loads, the better Hypoid on the gears, larger tooth contact patch and bigger pinion shaft than either of the other two. Yes I know it doesn't have as much aftermarket support as the others but I not rock crawling and only plan on running 32" tires at most so the parts that are available will do nicely. The reason I choose to try this project is purely for serviceability on the road. Pulling the C-clips sucks to swap an axle or repair a wheel bearing. I'm thinking of machining an adapter to use a press on bearing for the axle and a cup to make it able to slide in and out of the housing like a D44. It's a fresh thought in my head with a few sketches on a piece of paper so wish me luck.

I'm currently debating bumpers / recovery points. I am really leaning towards a Back Bone and Tail Bone from Detours as they don't weigh a ton and offer full reinforced recovery points and tire / winch mounting. Not to mention they are budget friendly.

Last edited:

Chi-Town

The guy under the car
Lift parts Ordered:

OME CS035RA Heavy load Leaf Springs 2.5" lift- The initial spring rate is actually softer than the light load springs until you hit the helper spring when you're fully loaded.
JKS Super ACOS (#2700) 1"+ lift - This allows me to run a lighter rate spring and still level the truck out when loaded as they are adjustable to 3"+. Also incorporates a hydraulic bump stop to dampen the big dips.
Rubicon Express front and rear stainless brake lines- A little longer for the lift, I don't fancy a broken brake line due to trail debris and I like the firmer pedal.
Daystar Extended rear poly bump stops - keeps shocks safe from bottoming out
Rubicon Express Boomerang rear shackles 1" lift - Adds a little more room for leaf spring movement, softens ride (slightly)

Still need to decide on a track bar and shocks

Last edited:

Chi-Town

The guy under the car
What began as a simple idea of picking up some 03-06 TJ Rubicon take-offs has now become a conundrum of wheels and tires.

I have always loved the look of the original 16×8 Moab wheels that came on the early Rubicon and the 245/75/16 Goodyear MT/R has a reputation that speaks for itself . So I recently picked up a set of 5 take-offs for a decent price and was pretty happy with my choice until I bolted them up and went for a ride. I was Humming (Howling is probably more accurate) down the road at 45mph with the windows down I thought my ears were going to start bleeding. The noise put off by the tread pattern of the MT/R is almost deafening. The last Cherokee I had a set of MT/R’s on was a rig that I had dyna-matted from tip to tail and all doors so I guess I didn’t notice as much of the noise but this one acts like a giant resonator.

I returned to the garage to swap the stock wheels and tires back on and to figure out what I was going to do.

First option: (Cheapest)

Ditch the MT/R’s but keep the Moab wheels and pick up a 245/75/16 tire with good capability and better road manners. The first tire I thought of was the Falken Wildpeak A/T. I had seen this tire perform just as well off road as the MT/R at the King of Hammers event in Johnson Valley and knew it would meet and probably exceed my needs.

Second option: (Not Quite as Cheap)

Ditch the take-offs all together and start with a more expedition oriented wheel like a 16×9 Interco Bird dog. I figure If I couple these wheels with the Falken Tires and I would have a very solid package

20130319_110031.jpg

Third Option: (If I was rich)

Take the Falken tires and bolt them down to a set of Hutchinson Rock Monster wheels and have a bulletproof set-up.

Well of course I’m not rich and the economy prevents me from asking for a raise to $100k a year without fear of my boss punching me in the face so options 1 or 2 are probably my best options. The good part is I can list up the take-offs and stock wheels on the forums and recoup some of the cost of this endeavour.

This brings up a good point for me as far as expedition prep goes versus standard off road prep. With a straight off road prep road manners usually don’t matter as much as they do when you’re talking overland travel where you can end up spending a good amount of time on road. This makes parts choices much more involved.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior