Not sure where to post this tire questions but would love some feedback on

bigskypylot

Explorer
If there is a place to post questions about tire selection, I must not be seeing it. Anyhow, I have narrowed it down to a handful of selections.

First is the Toyo Open Country RT in 35x12.50/17

Second, Falken WIldpeak A/T3W in 35x12.50/17

Third, Cooper STT Pro in 315/70R17

Fourth, Nitto Ridge Grappler in 35x12.50/17

Fifth, BFG KO2 in 35x12.50/17

Mostly pavement, fire/forest roads, trails and as little mud as possible lol

One thing I do need is for them to be good in snow , preferably with the Three Peak Mountain Snowflake rating ( I know Falken has it) Not sure about the rest, but I need it to do well in snow. I currently have the STT (non Pro) which is M+S

If you have any other suggestions, I am all for it. I have ruled the KM3 out

Thanks in advance for the responses!

LikeABoss

Observer
I went from toyo rt (35x13.5) to the Ridge Grappler (37x12.5) and would do it again. Better in dirt and snow and shockingly quiet on the road.

The Falkens will probably be the best in snow on your list at least hard pack and ice. Deep stuff STT pro. Ridge grappler best middle ground imo.

2015.5 GMC duramax
4.5” BDS, Deavers, airbags, Fox, 37” Nitto Ridge Grapplers, Fusion bumper, Warn 12S Platinum
Schutt flatdeck extended camper build

bigskypylot

Explorer
I went from toyo rt (35x13.5) to the Ridge Grappler (37x12.5) and would do it again. Better in dirt and snow and shockingly quiet on the road.

The Falkens will probably be the best in snow on your list at least hard pack and ice. Deep stuff STT pro. Ridge grappler best middle ground imo.

2015.5 GMC duramax
4.5” BDS, Deavers, airbags, Fox, 37” Nitto Ridge Grapplers, Fusion bumper, Warn 12S Platinum

Thanks, Boss... I know the Toyo are a pretty heavy tire. As for the Nitto Ridge Grappler, they (Nitto) are a Division of Toyo and have heard good things about them. I don't really want to go 315/70R17 with the Coopers. The Falken have the 3PMS symbol for severe service. Do the Ridge Gapplers? I can't seem to find that stated anywhere. I have read some reviews of the Nittos chunking out on the edges, not sure what that is all about. I like the Hybrid of the Nittos

Appreciate your response

So +1 for Nitto and Falken

LikeABoss

Observer
No mountains on the nittos. No chunking on mine.

2015.5 GMC duramax

bigskypylot

Explorer
thanks for the input. I had forgotten about the Yokohama Geolander MT. if I recall, I've heard some positive stuff about those

GoinBoardin

Observer
I have skinny Wildpeak AT3W's on my truck. In the winter I'm usually chasing powder for snowmobiling, so snow and ice performance was my top priority. They are excellent for that. In fact I find them to be very good everywhere with one exception. They're lame in mud, worse than the BFG AT KO they replaced by a solid margin. But if you're avoiding mud I think they'll be a good fit for you. They're the best tire I've had for winter, especially on packed snow & ice.
20171105_121310.jpg
I'll be going to for a little higher void tread on my next set of tires because I run more mud than I realized, and could use better performance there.

bigskypylot

Explorer
I have skinny Wildpeak AT3W's on my truck. In the winter I'm usually chasing powder for snowmobiling, so snow and ice performance was my top priority. They are excellent for that. In fact I find them to be very good everywhere with one exception. They're lame in mud, worse than the BFG AT KO they replaced by a solid margin. But if you're avoiding mud I think they'll be a good fit for you. They're the best tire I've had for winter, especially on packed snow & ice.
View attachment 465577
I'll be going to for a little higher void tread on my next set of tires because I run more mud than I realized, and could use better performance there.

Thanks for the info! I am trying to find good compromise until i get a second set of dedicated winter tires. I see you're in WY? where about?

Last edited:

jadmt

ignore button user
I have had two of those ie the Toyo RT and KO2s in the last two years. I currently run st maxx in 285/75-17 and they are taller than ko2 and nearly as tall as the Toyo. My buddy has the st pros and while I have not ridden in his he has driven mine ( we have near twin jeeps) and is now wanting to get st maxx due to so much quieter.

jadmt

ignore button user
Oh and the ko2 has the snowflake but the st maxx does better in most of the conditions I have been in. Living in Montana I run in all conditions. The RT looks better than the st maxx but st maxx performs equally or better and is way cheaper ie $300 vs $458 a tire. I love Toyo butbthey have priced themselves out of my range.

GoinBoardin

Observer
Thanks for the info! I am trying to find good compromise until i get a second set of dedicated winter tires. I see you're in WY? where about?
I'm in Laramie, in the SE corner of the state.
Oh and the ko2 has the snowflake but the st maxx does better in most of the conditions I have been in. Living in Montana I run in all conditions. The RT looks better than the st maxx but st maxx performs equally or better and is way cheaper ie $300 vs $458 a tire. I love Toyo butbthey have priced themselves out of my range.
That's good to hear on the ST Maxx. Winter performance is my only concern for that tire and a MT driver would know if they work.

bigskypylot

Explorer
I'm in Laramie, in the SE corner of the state.

That's good to hear on the ST Maxx. Winter performance is my only concern for that tire and a MT driver would know if they work.
definitely so. it looks likely I'll be relocating to Wyoming for work this winter.

jadmt

ignore button user
photobucket-1975-1330531062003.jpg

IMG_20140421_170108440_zps6aipxs8c.jpg

we play in the snow a lot. the Toyo at2 is also a good at tire. I have to say tho I am pretty sold on the st maxx's now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94