Not sure where I fit in.... Toyota Van thread.

flecker

Not sure if this is the right place for me, if not then move it I guess. Been building Toyota's all my life and stumbled upon this thing and built it as a camping/ fishing/ hunting/ whatever rig. :)

uZRPMzd.jpg

Have a write up on it here: https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/expedition-vehicles/2678906-1987-toyota-4x4-van-benji.html

Been a BLAST to roll in this thing thus far!

Frazeur1

Yes, very nice to both of those! Nice to see well set up older rigs doing the job. The van always intrigued me, shame one doesn’t see many around these days, at least not in the Midwest. Could be a reason for that!

flecker

Yah, for whatever reason they seem to thrive in the Western US... Have seen a few in the Southwest, but they are abandoned or on their last leg. Washington, Oregon and California seem to have a few survivors, but they are all hippied out and a bit hokey. This is one of the few with the intent of actually taking it out and camping in it I have seen. Just pure fun to drive too! :D

flecker

Thanks man! I have an account over there, but stopped posting tech stuff... kind of had a falling out with that Gwen lady (Tim is super cool and gets my sense of humor). It's cool now, and I do browse here and there and post the occasional tid bits here and there, but would rather post elsewhere, like HERE and the Pirate board! Broader audience and more overall Toyota driven! These vans are getting more rare and unique so may as well share with a bunch of peeps who don't see them often. :) Have been camping and pretty far out in the middle of nowhere in this thing, and it's just getting more and more fun! Few pics of the interior set up and some camping in my area...
THK4Qu1.jpg

Fits a queen mattress set up well and has a bunch of storage compartments!
kDBxkRS.jpg

W40kRY3.jpg

7YDs2u2.jpg

The van mutt eagerly waits for the next outing.
tR5jh64.jpg

Have plans for a solar set up, flat screen tv (32") to spool up maps and movies for some rainy fishing days and need to put a fold down cook set up at the back... just a little prep center to make some chow and set the little single burner stove on. The inside is really well insulated and thus far pretty cozy down to 38* with no additional heat source yet (stays at roughly 60`ish in the van (after I run the heater for a bit), but will need a bit extra for when it really cools off.
What have you guys been doing for the interior heat? Electric? Would like to stay away from any open source of flame if possible... no buddy heaters or anything. Was really wanting to try a 12v heated mattress pad but having a tough time finding a queen size. Maybe even a 110v heated blanket on a lower setting just to supplement?

Last edited:

flecker

Thanks man! Planning a hunting trip for some grouse and wabbit towards the end of the month! Will keep updated on the Van shenanigans!

flecker

Ha ha.. yip! Was a rolling health violation by most standards... The 2 suitcases that were left in the back when I first drove it home were sketchy! Opened real slow like in case the Mexican Cartels left a head or something in it. No money, sadly... just a few old shirts and some socks... some guy was prolly "livin in a van down by the river!"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles