Not so overland camping trailer

hg1027

Hello Forum

Part introduction, part trailer build.

I've been lurking for a while, getting ideas for my regular car camping adventures, tightening up my packing list, getting my gear more organized for easier prep.

I've replied to a few threads, including the home made roof bars I made for my wife's Escape. This seems like a very friendly community.

I camped with Boy Scouts for years, usually 2 a month, usually backpacking. I got used to the jetboil stoves and the single tent and minimal gear.

I've been taking my elder daughter, now 8, for a couple trips a year since she was 2. We are pretty happy with a little more gear than that, pack it all in the trunk of the sedan and off we go.

Now, when we all go, wife and 2 kids and a dog, most of our camping is geared toward comfort. We usually take a friend or two who have never been camping before, which adds to the pile of gear we need to bring. Backup chairs, tents, kitchen, bikes, everything to make sure no one is uncomfortable or doesn't want to come back. That got pretty sketchy with so much stuff tied to the roof of the Escape, bikes on the back, packing stuff in around the kids. I can't find any pics, but it was a chore loading it all up there and tying it down.

For now, tow vehicle is a 2012 Escape, destinations are going to be state parks and friends ranches. My wife has had her eye on a 3/4 ton and we'd like to get self sufficient enough for a night or two on federal land.

So, with the camping season finally starting on the Texas Gulf Coast, we went and bought a cheap 4x8 trailer kit. I had shoulder surgery in August, so not supposed to lift anything over a few pounds. My girls are pretty handy in the garage, so that wasn't going to stop us...

PXL_20201003_204335158.jpg

PXL_20201003_205157239.jpg

This thing was quite flexy even after I had checked their torque, and I had been wanting to do a bit of welding. I did a bit in a machine shop in college, but I am not a good welder. This was 6011 stick, which I knew at least I wouldn't break anything expensive in my neighbors garage.

PXL_20201009_125917759.jpg

The inspector at work declined to comment.

Not terrible, after a bit of cleanup. Penetration appears to have happened. I did paint them all to keep the rust at bay.

PXL_20201009_162401030.jpg

With a sheet of ply on deck and some 16 inch walls, it's much more solid and less squeaky and rattly going down the road. Ice creams for everyones hard work.

PXL_20201016_213724963.MP.jpg

All packed up with 5 bikes, 8 chairs, 2 cots, kitchen box, dog bed, cooler, propane tank, and a bunch of firewood. We will organize better for the next one in a week, but at least there was nothing on the roof.

PXL_20201018_182226253.jpg

I have an idea for a tongue box that would get the tie downs and tarps organized, but I might prefer the cooler or the propane tank there instead. I'd like to get the gear section at the front boxed off from the bikes and firewood at the back, so it can be weather tight and locked up when we're not around. It could also be used as kitchen counter space, possibly hinge at the front and support over tongue. Either that or separately, I'm thinking about getting the bikes off the floor so there's more storage under there. Not sure I want to spend the money on wheel grabber mounts or deal with wheel off mounts, but I definitely want them up and spread out. I will make conduit poles as @rayra here for a tarp at first, then sunbrella or silnylon. Probably just conduit sleeves on the corners to hold them on the trailer. I have been looking at water tanks and solar, but that's at least a year out, since we're in state parks for now.

Thanks for looking!

high-and-dry

All I can say thats awesome getting the girls to build it. I love it.

Buy a mig welder, its pretty much point and squire when it comes to welding.

old_CWO

Those HF trailers can be quite a bang for your buck, I have owned a couple of them over the years with really good service. One thing to consider: the slipper springs on them are stiff and slap the chassis when the thing bounces around; it can be pretty aggravating listening to it. You can replace them with eye to eye springs that fit in the same mounting locations without a lot of effort. The annoying banging and clanging will go away and it won't bounce quite as bad. Radial 12" tires also help immensely. Once the crummy ones that come with it wear out, consider the upgrade - it's worth it.

hg1027

Same machine I used for stick also does mig and tig, I just didn't feel like cleaning as much paint off and I wanted the practice. I have a couple stainless projects in mind, and as far as I know, mig and tig both require gas purge, which gets expensive. Or at least more setup.

As far as tires, it came with the 12s, which are 20 inch high tires. I have 3 spare Honda Accord wheels in the back that I'm wondering if I can use, partly because I have them, partly because they're taller. There are probably a lot of reasons they aren't the best trailer wheel. Escape has the same lug pattern, I haven't looked at offset, but I could see about putting tall enough tires on to be shared spares. I'm interested in replacement axle for more standard hub bearings, which would mean new hubs, so may as well get the pattern I want, once I figure out what I want.

Springs, yes, I've read a fair amount about it. If it weren't for the recent surgery and the late decision (wifes job was up in the air for a bit due to covid) I would have spent the summer building a trailer from scratch. If we manage to camp more because of the trailer, next summer I might build something more suited to being a dedicated camping trailer, and let this guy be a utility trailer. By the time I get to springs and axle and wheel upgrades and build up a more specific box, I think I'd prefer it on a frame I have more confidence in. On the other hand, I could really use a car hauler for the Beetle, the endurance races I've done so far have ended up blowing engines. So maybe I build a light car hauler/utility trailer and this gets built up a bit more. It's only money and time, right???

high-and-dry

As for the welder you could go flux core instead of mig, no gas for it. Its kind of like a cross between mig and stick, flux like stick, point and squirt like mig with the downsides of both...lol

as for bigger tires, the best thing is getting in to tires that will last, ie real car tires. The next is bigger tires means less revolutions per mile on the hubs. You did regrease them as the HF hubs are known to have little to no grease in them when new.

As for building a frame, my 10 x 5.5 frame cost me right at 1000 bucks with a torflex axle with 3500 lb hubs and brakes. If I went the standard 2200 lb axle and springs I would have been closer to 600 bucks complete.

And its a vw bug just carry a spare engine, 2 jacks and a skateboard and you can swap engines in an hour.

oyang

Hi HG1027. Lurker here. I have no trailer just a honda crv 2010 but have two kids (4 and 7) and enjoy seeing your daughters hard at work. Dreaming about a trailer...I'm not even sure why (not necessarily practical). I have no welding skills so dreaming about whether to dive in to that too someday. I like wood, have some skills...not fine carpentry, more like farm dining table. So a combo trailer plus wood box is interesting to me too. I'm thinking a 4x6 trailer box is too big for the crv looks wise. I can't decide between explorer box build or bantam trailer build. BTW, compact camping concepts / Dinoot has spring swap kits and lots of info for getting a better ride than stock springs etc..

I enjoy hearing that you dove right in to welding and it worked. Keep up the good work and thanks for the post and whole story. Very helpful.

old_CWO

Hi HG1027. Lurker here. I have no trailer just a honda crv 2010 but have two kids (4 and 7) and enjoy seeing your daughters hard at work. Dreaming about a trailer...I'm not even sure why (not necessarily practical). I have no welding skills so dreaming about whether to dive in to that too someday. I like wood, have some skills...not fine carpentry, more like farm dining table. So a combo trailer plus wood box is interesting to me too. I'm thinking a 4x6 trailer box is too big for the crv looks wise. I can't decide between explorer box build or bantam trailer build. BTW, compact camping concepts / Dinoot has spring swap kits and lots of info for getting a better ride than stock springs etc..

I enjoy hearing that you dove right in to welding and it worked. Keep up the good work and thanks for the post and whole story. Very helpful.

I think you would be surprised just how useful a Harbor Freight 4x8 trailer really is. Not just for camping but general hauling everything else. They are perfectly fine behind something like your CRV. It's actually better to tow them with smaller vehicles as the trailer is so small it disappears behind a truck or big SUV and you literally can't see it at all; forget backing it up... The 4x8 size is really nice for family camping as a lot of us "cube out" before we hit too much weight in the trailer. Coolers, chairs, tables, EZ ups and so forth take up a lot of space without being that heavy. I would try it full size before cutting it. 4x8 will also carry a washer and dryer at the same time, or a sofa for example. If you don't have a pickup truck, the HF trailer is a nice addition.

I had one with oak 1x4 slat floors and 18" high rough oak stake sides for many years. It was a great all purpose trailer that was fine on medium to light trails for camping and hauled many loads of firewood, furniture, appliances, engines, etc., etc. All I did to it was weld the joints, switch to eye/eye springs and put on some radial tires when the bias wore out. I made sure to clean and repack the crappy chinesium bearings every other year and had ZERO problems with it running for miles and miles at highway speed on the 12" tires. I sold it to a guy who is hauling two dirt bikes in it all the time and he loves it.

Obviously you've seen Scott's nifty "beef up" products for the trailer if it needs a little more off road chops. If I ever had another one, I would probably do the spring upgrade and put a better axle under it for taller tires and bigger bearings, but all in all I think they can be pretty great trailers for not much investment.

And unlike a Bantam or M416, no ones gonna try to steal it!

hg1027

As far as CRV vs Escape, Escape has the V6, 240hp 223tq, wheelbase 103in. CRV has the same wheelbase, hp between 140 for the first gen and 200 for the latest, but I don't think it would be a problem. Trans in the escape is either starting to slip or is badly tuned, I only drive it a few times a year and my wife hasn't mentioned it.

I don't plan to fold mine. You can cut the plywood for the deck and either have a neighbor regularly available or otherwise manage to fold it up (you have to lift most of the 200lb straight up while not getting beaned by the tongue, and then balance it on its wheels) but the point of this one is to keep the gear ready to go and get it out of the garage. I've already made a panel of our side fence removable, so when it gets too hot to camp (May here in Houston) it will get pushed in to the back yard and wrapped up in tarps. Might happen more often, wife wants her garage spot back.

I can't justify the price of the Dinoot stuff. I realize it's a good price for what it is, but starting at $1200, it wasn't adding up for me. HF trailer was built in one weekend, $350, lumber and hardware for the deck and sides was another ~200 and another weekend. If you need to add tow hitch and wiring to your CRV, another 200 and a day or so.

Looks wise, I'm not too worried about it. It looks a lot better than having all the gear tied to the roof and the bikes on a hitch rack, but its an Escape, I'm not getting any style points anyway. I'll paint the trailer, but mostly to seal up all the voids in the plywood.

If you find your self limiting the gear you take and missing it, or bringing it all anyway and strapping to the roof and making your wife carry the stove on her lap, I think it would be worth getting.

high-and-dry

Boy I need to start making frames, I think I could do a 5x8 frame with a 2 k spring axle in a weekend for about 6-700 bucks and sell it for 1200.

hg1027

I was thinking almost the same thing, but even just building the HF trailer appears to add about $300 to the value. I had a guy ask to buy it when I took it to get plywood, I threw out $750, but that I was about to take it camping and I didn't have the time to build another before about Thanksgiving. He was not deterred by the price. Similar conversation when we stopped for gas on the way to the campground.

Get someone to meet you at the store to do the paperwork, agree on what you're going to do to it for the price, and you could certainly finish in a day or two. Shoulder recovery permitting, this is absolutely on my mind for next summer.

Boy I need to start making frames, I think I could do a 5x8 frame with a 2 k spring axle in a weekend for about 6-700 bucks and sell it for 1200.

hg1027

Rats, I had a post written and then had to work for a bit. Oh well.

Preparing for this weekends trip, we've cut back on some kitchen gear, consolidated in the box, and picked our favorite chairs and sleeping pads.

Carrying all the kitchen gear from the trailer to the bockety picnic table, next priority will be making the trailer the kitchen. I know teardrops are typically galley at the back, but my use includes up to 6 bicycles and a stack of firewood, which I think I want at the back for loading and unloading and regular load weight at the front. So, thinking about combining a stove and prep area with my lockable weather tight storage, 2 foot by width of trailer lid, hinged at the front, pop in some legs. Also, it would be almost under the hatch of the Escape. One awning and cooler in the trunk and I'd have a pretty good area. Even with the hatch closed (weather, food smells, car gone elsewhere) I'd have access around the hitch and should be happy.

Cons include adding food smell to the trailer, which could be a deal breaker. More of a concern in bear country, but I still don't want to deal with racoons and such getting too interested, or bleach wipedown after every meal. Maybe a solid tablecloth could help. Comments please.

Other con I can see would be flat surface syndrome - as soon as it's deployed, there will be water bottles and binoculars and maps and half the food supplies on it. Same general cleanup applies to the picnic table, but has to be cleaned up if I want to lock up before a hike.

It's raining and I'm doing this between meetings, so super quick visual aid:

Closed (will be flat to sides):

PXL_20201028_152103102.jpg

Open:

PXL_20201028_152225912.jpg

Somewhat related, propane. Since I wanted to save on plywood, my sides are 16 inches high. Standard bbq tank is 18 inches. I want the tank attached to the trailer so I can put the distribution tree and lantern on it, hose to the stove, and be done, not have to carry to the picnic table.
PXL_20201028_134301360.jpg

Tongue mount I would want to at least put a fabric cover on it, probably build a box around if it works out. Tongue weight as currently loaded is under 200lb, will be less with bikes and wood. This would cancel my idea of using the keg in the background as a tongue box, which I think would be a cool place for tie downs and straps and such, but being metal might not be appropriate for anything else (battery, solar controller), and it's not exactly a convenient shape for storage. Alternative would be a cutout to get it in the box (I'd like it protected from elements).

PXL_20201028_134222281.jpg

Last edited:

hg1027

Trailer worked well for another weekend. Might get a little more expo cred, the sub shop we stopped by for lunch on the way out didn't have any pull through spots so I pulled off in the grass. It was a little sideways. That counts right guys???

I made a fire grate that fits our griddle, something like 11x16. Grate is 12x30. No action pics, too busy cooking on it.

Tail gate will be getting legs to be a table, rails for drop in divider (bikes were wedged in pretty tight on the way home), and the front will be getting its lid in the next couple weeks.

I'll be watching the classifieds for a ladder rack. I think whether I get a rooftop tent or just keep bringing gear for 6-10 I need the space.

We have a trip planned for the week of Thanksgiving, but if I can find a spot I might take the girls for another in between.

9dec52b7e6285f6ac5bb964b6c35830c.jpg

hg1027

Talking to my self, but that's not so uncommon :)

Last weekend went very smoothly, weather was good and the girls were ahead on their school, so we grabbed clothes and basic food and headed to the forest Thursday night. Having the big stuff loaded is a game changer (you knew that already). Packing up is super easy, took maybe an hour instead of the 2+ stacking things on the roof and tying it all down.

Improvements for this weekend include tarp hooks my dad and I made on the forge, with a tarp to be made to fit this week. When I get ready to haul in the rain, or go out longer than the 10 day forecast, I'm thinking I'll need a flexible spar to create a peak when it's not full enough to shed rain. We also made a few marshmallow/hotdog forks. His turned out nicer than mine.

PXL_20201117_225423265.jpg

PXL_20201117_225337093.jpg

Not sure if 3 hooks is enough on the long side, we'll find out later this week.

PXL_20201117_225334005.jpg

I put a bulkhead in 2 feet from the front to keep tents/chairs/cots out of the bikes/firewood/section. It needs a bit of trim and some D rings installed so things can be strapped down tight. Most of my stuff is 3 feet long though, so I'm not sure it's the best arrangement. I've been wedging sleeping bags and stuff in there to fill the space. TBD if I will put a lid on it.

PXL_20201117_225451453.jpg

I got a Plano 68 quart trunk to put all my kitchen gear in. I looked hard at the 108, which the stove would fit in, but my girls can carry the 68 loaded, and I think I would overload the 108. I put weatherstripping in the lid, and I'm confident it can live outside. It will probably be under a tarp anyway for UV, unless I find out it's already resistant or I spraypaint it. A second 68 coming later for non-perishable food.

I have two more trips planned for this year, hoping to squeeze in a couple more, and book some for January before I have to work 6 weeks straight.

billiebob

As far as tires, it came with the 12s, which are 20 inch high tires. I have 3 spare Honda Accord wheels in the back that I'm wondering if I can use, partly because I have them, partly because they're taller.
There are many good reasons to run the same wheels and tires on the tow vehicle and trailer. Often rim offset does not fit the trailer axle/frame

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94