Not So Modest 2000 (Gen 2.5) Montero Build

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
I’d spend some time cleaning up as much oil as possible in order to be certain of what you think you are seeing. Oil leaks are pretty sneaky......wipe up as much as you can, wrap rags around screwdrivers to get into every nook and cranny, then drive it and check it every few miles until you pinpoint it. If the head gasket is losing that much oil I can’t believe you don’t have driveability issues.

zerodrift

Adventurer
Thanks for the council- after cleaning things up- I was still unable to determine the root cause of the leak. After thinking about the issue and talking it over with family- and from members here, concluded the head gasket causing this issue would be really remote given the symptoms.

As my time is rather limited these days I've decided to stick with rig and have the dealer take a look. They are concluding that it's the rear cam seal- a relatively minor task. Work is being performed at Shortline Mitsubishi and hopefully this concludes the oil leak issue.

zerodrift

Adventurer
Well- vehicles been running pretty well since the repair and I've been putting on some miles commuting without further incident. That has been quite the relief.

Before all of the issues began, I had started a drawer slide project. With the engine repair complete, I've been making some progress after much fiddling around with the design. Finally got to a point where I can test it out in the vehicle and I snagged a few pictures. The project needs a bit more work, but the foundation is pretty strong and I'm really excited with how it's been turning out. I need to figure out a solid mounting solution, bit of electrical work and a bit of plumbing before the project is complete.

I'm still not sure as to how or what I will use to coat the raw wood before the final install. Certainly open to suggestions here.
0719fb42b5ef7bdfc75228515970cd01.jpg
2e3f6b2cfae405f32dbe2b0e7b1ac5e5.jpg
8d1c3e610425dab6a7d8896516f75093.jpg
ab1d491c28a17375dccbd4fb40aa2de2.jpg
3d83250c65f579feb52afae280e41cfa.jpg
644c97dc798c1135b75aaec9c7268f98.jpg

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

PacS14

Adventurer
I like your cupholder idea, I was thinking of installing a marine cup holder...that basically looks like a cup, but now I found this and another option, hopefully I can come up with something else and report back, but your execution looks pretty good!

legerspencer

Also interested in seeing how your cupholder turns out. Was thinking of designing and 3D printing one, kind of like the ones people use in FJ80S, but I'm not sure how easy it will be.

zerodrift

Adventurer
Took care of a few small tasks this weekend. First up was the replacement of the alternator. I picked a high output 160 amp alternator from eBay, which has been sitting for a few weeks. Install was straight forward and I'll likely be adding an additional higher gauge hot wire in the future to ensure losses are minimal. This is in preparation for a dual battery setup that I will likely pursue in the future.

The other project is another take at a headlight retrofit. The projectors that I've been using are alight overall, but the bulbs/ballasts were of subpar quality and were failing. I suspect it was vibration and a poor quality bi-xenon adapter relay that expedited failure of the ballasts and bulbs. The projectors in the housings however worked quite well- which gives me confidence to try another retrofit.

Wanting to opt for newer technology a set of led Koito projectors were ordered in the hopes that these would be substantially more robust. These are OEM in Toyota vehicles and should handle the rigors of trail use. I've also ordered a higher quality bi-xenon relay system that should arrive shortly. This project is a priority at this point as I've already pulled all of the old hid system out of the car. I'll take some pictures of the retrofit as I make progress.

I've not yet reinstalled the cup holder, as I've been working on other projects, but it is on the list and will be sorted out in the near future. When it was installed, it worked exceptionally well and I'm very much looking forward to the completion of this project.
f669e6491c4dad2a784a55132218c5c8.jpg
3e4e31c2d2e537c2b5653d078906cdb4.jpg
d49d433d62577633f10977d553ba6d48.jpg
e15a0effd01a45760d2b5715fba8af53.jpg

TNMontero

Old Monty fan
Hey man, I just went through your whole thread. Nice work on the Montero. I'm really interested in your wiring setup. Primarily your main harness wiring and breaker that you added. I'm planning on adding a higher amperage alternator and want to streamline the power supply. I normally tie the factory harness in to the battery, and then run a nice big 4, 2, or even 0 gauge cable from alternator to the battery. But that's using a GM Style one-wire alternator with internal regulator.

I see some extra leads off your battery setup, is that all for the extra fuse box under the rear seat and power supply? I'm a big electrical safety nut and don't like fire, so I want to make sure i plan out my wiring with the new Alternator properly as well as reducing any bottlenecks, draws, or wastes from the power supply. With winch in the plans, I'll need a serious power supply with little power loss. Winches draw about 300 amps so I'll need to ensure power is clean and free. Any issues with doing new cables on the Montero?

I also make my own battery cables and I've run into a few vehicles that have some oddball splices.

zerodrift

Adventurer
The wiring project has been trouble free and has proven quite reliable. I have been meaning to make a schematic of the system, but honestly don't know how to make a proper diagram of the setup. I'd rather not present a Microsoft paint wiring diagram. If anyone has a simple and free program they could point me to- I'd make a proper diagram of the setup.

The battery has larger terminals, the positive of which feeds a small fused bus bar (in a small pelican case for non switchable accessories) and the circuit breaker for rear (positive) power. The negative terminal to rear circuit isn't fused, but given it's a common ground as the chassis- doesn't pose much risk. Both cables have a clear route and m6 mounting lugs which makes routing the power and switched power wires an easy affair. The whole system has minimal use, spare the reverse lights that are using the systems relay for the higher amp draw of the flood reverse lights. The front spot and ditch lights work flawlessly and I'm very happy with the setup overall.

TNMontero

Old Monty fan
The wiring project has been trouble free and has proven quite reliable. I have been meaning to make a schematic of the system, but honestly don't know how to make a proper diagram of the setup. I'd rather not present a Microsoft paint wiring diagram. If anyone has a simple and free program they could point me to- I'd make a proper diagram of the setup.

The battery has larger terminals, the positive of which feeds a small fused bus bar (in a small pelican case for non switchable accessories) and the circuit breaker for rear (positive) power. The negative terminal to rear circuit isn't fused, but given it's a common ground as the chassis- doesn't pose much risk. Both cables have a clear route and m6 mounting lugs which makes routing the power and switched power wires an easy affair. The whole system has minimal use, spare the reverse lights that are using the systems relay for the higher amp draw of the flood reverse lights. The front spot and ditch lights work flawlessly and I'm very happy with the setup overall.

Thanks. My plan is to swap my battery terminal to Mil Spec terminals for easier mounting of cables. Then I'm going to take my primary alternator power lead and run to the battery. Then run a single fused 2 or 4 gauge line directly from alternator to battery for clean power supply and charging. I'm pretty sure the alt has an internal regulator (waiting for my alt guy to confirm) and it has line feeds to and from the alt to control that (2 wire connector). The power for the car will be directly from the battery. Basically just adding a line into the system to ensure proper power/charge delivered to the battery when full voltage is attained and is charging.

What are you running off your fused bus bar? You say non switchables, is that the main harness of the car or other items? It looks like you also have a bus terminal for switched components. I'm going to see if I can fit a powered fuse/relay box somewhere in the hood for my lights and accessories. I have one on my rock crawler and it's friggin fantastic. Clean and easy to wire. https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/auxiliary-fuse-relay-panel.352802/

Sorry for all the questions. I have had issues in the past with power failures, dead batteries, winches failing, etc all tied to electrical issues. I'm now Captain Overkill when it comes to power supply. Especially if I've got my kids with me.

zerodrift

Adventurer
I'm currently only using the fused bus bar for an aftermarket headlight bi-xenon hid relay. Future plans may include a daytime running light system and switched led lights for under hood illumination that would come on if the hood is up.

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
Nice work on this Montero. Inspiring.

I just picked up a 200 Endevor off my boy after not liking the idea of driving my daily ('03 Marauder) in 7 inches of fresh snow. It did ok, (with 170 pounds in the trunk) but I was scared somebody would ding me the whole time, and didn't feel the same confidence I did back when I had a 4x4 as a daily. My Jeep CJ7 I'm building has at least another year or more to go, so this gets me back in a more capable vehicle. I'll be taking some cues off your build.

zerodrift

Adventurer
Nice work on this Montero. Inspiring.

I just picked up a 200 Endevor off my boy after not liking the idea of driving my daily ('03 Marauder) in 7 inches of fresh snow. It did ok, (with 170 pounds in the trunk) but I was scared somebody would ding me the whole time, and didn't feel the same confidence I did back when I had a 4x4 as a daily. My Jeep CJ7 I'm building has at least another year or more to go, so this gets me back in a more capable vehicle. I'll be taking some cues off your build.

Thanks! I just looked over your CJ7 build thread- that is quite the project you have there! Congrats on the new rig- these Monteros are surprisingly capable and the community is great. But all means take as many cues from my build as you'd like. I've been using this vehicle for commuting and have averaged 17 mpg provided the tires are at 33 psi or there abouts. If you have any questions- feel free to ask.

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
Thanks. As you saw... I've got a ways to go.

This Montero has 220K on it and gets just over 15 mpg on 31/10.50s. I love the size, and back door access. Already pulled the jump seats. Bad thing is it rides like a log wagon, and no low range...

Last edited:

zerodrift

Adventurer
Thanks. As you saw... I've got a ways to go.

This Montero has 220K on it and gets just over 15 mpg on 31/10.50s. I love the size, and back door access. Already pulled the jump seats. Bad thing is it rides like a log wagon, and no low range...

I'm very familiar with long term projects myself and have two in the garage. I never realized that there was a Montero without low range. Are you sure it doesn't have a low range? Struts and bushings should go a long ways to help with ride quality, as would tires.

zerodrift

Adventurer
Thanks for the info. If it is a bad low range selector (shift lever assembly) - I think I have a good condition spare on hand.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles