Not mine: 1980 Creger 4x4 Ford F250 For Sale in Denver, CO

csangster

Not quite...

Cool concept, but whoever buys that rustbucket has got a lot of work to do.

Lichen,

I wouldn't go so far to say that it is a rust bucket. I have seen this vehicle up close and it is NOT a rust bucket. It definitely could use a bit of love on the body since it has seen a good 29 years of abuse. The paint is faded, there are plenty of dings and dents, the aluminum skin on the camper could use some massaging.

I did not see one spec of cancer anywhere, if someone would like me to look closer I definitely can....but like I said, this isn't mine. I am a non-biased observer of this vehicle and thought someone on this portal might be interested in picking it up.

Regards,
Chris

MsBehavin

I have a Creger 4x4 RV identical to this one...even the color scheme! Mine was originally sold in Ft. Collins, Co, but I bought her via ebay from a guy in Burns, Wyoming. She now roams the Texas Gulf Coast.

I paid $3,200 two and a half years ago; she had less than 30K actual miles. Gas mileage for that Ford 400 is abysmal...9 mpg. HOWEVER I can take the damn thing just about anywhere.

It has always run a little too warm for me, so I replaced the entire cooling system this spring. It's somewhat better, but I think removing the a/c condenser would be a big help...I don't use the a/c anyway.

Aside from the radiator/water pump replacement, no other major work. Tune up and normal maintenance has been enough. I am about to repack the manual locking hubs...the port side is "sticky".

The interior is dated, but it was such a bargain up front that I decided early on to gut it & do some serious interior re-design. That's happening later this year. Mine had almost no rust until she'd been romping up & down the beach a few months :(

I love my RV. It tows boats, kayaks, a beach truck, etc and I plan to put a mount for my soon-to-be-purchased Yamaha TW200 on the back. It runs through mud, loose sand, whatever like a champ (damn thing weighs 8800 lbs). All the appliances work including the air conditioner. I have easily fed a crowd of hungry sailors out of this thing; spent a week camping my way up the coast from South Padre Island, Tx to Galveston, Tx (more than once); stored TONS of fishing and sailing gear; you name it.

Now the bad stuff:
  • As I said before, gas mileage sucks.
  • A dually would ride better (easy enough to fix).
  • The driver's seat will NOT adjust back far enough to accommodate anyone over 6 feet tall comfortably.
  • Old school appliances & a/c suck down the juice. I use two Honda eu2000i generators harnessed together to run the thing if I need the a/c...one will do fine if you don't need the a/c.
  • Mine has ******king shag carpet!!! Do you have any idea how nasty shag carpet gets at the beach???
  • It is, after all, a 1979 Ford F350 - parts are sometimes hard to find.

I do not regret buying this RV...especially when you consider the price of a new 4x4 RV (if you can find one). I will probably spend $20k on mine before I get it just the way I want it, but I figure that puts me $80k ahead of buying a new one...more money for boats ;)

BTW - I have seen another configuration of this RV...it is a side entry, but I've only seen it in a 2 wheel drive.

If one of you ends up buying this particular vehicle or have more questions, feel free to email me.

Here's a picture of my truck at the beach - note all the kayaks :)

Attachments

• IMG_1085.JPG
    IMG_1085.JPG
    216.1 KB · Views: 418
Last edited:
MsBehavin, I would love to see more of yours. Can you post some interior shots as well as more close-ups. I wish that I had seen the Creger in Denver (I live in Colorado Springs) before I started building mine. The end result of my rig build will be very similar to what Cregar has already done. Heck, mine even has the same engine.

MsBehavin

nice rig! the 400m suck fuel due to its low compression and bad flowing heads/exhaust. Having had numerous 400m's you can get great power from one. change the pistons, cam, exhaust and put on an aluminum intake and SMALL carb. it will run way better and get better gas mileage.

check out this article and it gives you a start.

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/engine/hrdp_0702_ford_400m_engine_build/index.html

Su-weeet, Chet! My traveling buddy and I have been debating whether to drop a diesel in there, but this may be a better solution...certainly looks like more fun :)

MsBehavin, I would love to see more of yours. Can you post some interior shots as well as more close-ups. I wish that I had seen the Creger in Denver (I live in Colorado Springs) before I started building mine. The end result of my rig build will be very similar to what Cregar has already done. Heck, mine even has the same engine.

Budget - I am happy to post more pics, but the rig is an absolute mess inside right now. It will be a day or two (more likely this weekend).

I assume you want basic layout pictures? I haven't started on the conversion to "new and improved"...too damn hot to work that hard right now.

jdelwood

Hoping to resurrect this old post as there's an old Creger in town here that has caught my eye. Wondering if you ever got to redoing the interior and might have pics? Also, if you ever did the work that Chet recommended?

Thanks!
Josh

MTAA

Adventurer
Hoping to resurrect this old post as there's an old Creger in town here that has caught my eye. Wondering if you ever got to redoing the interior and might have pics? Also, if you ever did the work that Chet recommended?

Thanks!
Josh

If you don't end up buying it let me know! I missed out buying a couple on here a few years ago, one while I was on the phone with the owner and it was being test drove by a prospective buyer.

CLMorgan

Observer
Appears same rig is up here in Steamboat Springs and for sale at trailer/rv lot.

Correction one up here has dually rear and in better condition still lots of retro patina like shag carpet inside.

MTAA

Adventurer
Appears same rig is up here in Steamboat Springs and for sale at trailer/rv lot.

Correction one up here has dually rear and in better condition still lots of retro patina like shag carpet inside.

Pics or a link to seller?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles