Not another Ram 5500 build

RS59

In above pic is a Kumma 6 gal electric water heater with motoraid. It comes with a 1500 watt 120 volt heating element. I switched out the heating element to a 24 volt 900 watt unit. The Kumma is the hydronic boiler for the floors and domestic hot water. I will run the motoraid side of the heater through a plate heat exchanger that will be looped in to the diesel heater (Planar, Webasto, Espar) mounted in the truck. That way the diesel heater will be mounted in the truck as usual, behind Right front of the bumper. Keeping it as far away as possible from the camper. This way I will be able to heat the camper by diesel or electric and also heating the truck engine on cold mornings and using the truck heat to heat the camper while driving.
Havent deciced on which diesel heater to go with yet. I bought 3 x 445 watt Canadian Solar bifacial panels. intially im going to see if i can heat the unit from solar. I will be running the floor heat at no more than 85 degrees. All good in theory.. Hoping for the maiden voyage May 15.

ramblinChet

It looks like we are on somewhat of a parallel path regarding hot water - I am also looking at combination water heater / storage units and also plan to install a diesel heater in the loop. I have been looking at the 6.5 gallon 120 Vac water heaters from ISOTEMP and others. I am also going to pick up a diesel heater and install that in the loop. You mentioned mounting mounting yours "as usual, right behind the front of the bumper." I am not familiar with mounting these, is there an ideal spot? I have an AEV front bumper. Regarding solar, I am still unsure of how much I plan to mount up top - most likely two 300-350 watt panels initially while leaving room for a third if necessary. Weight is my primary concern since I have a pop-up camper.

Just in case you are interested in using OEM parts, @CFMGarage sold me on these heater line T-fittings that are part of the factory ambulance prep package (see attached PDF):

55057182aa-pic-jpg.706421

55057182aa-jpg.706422

Attachments

• Ram_HD CC_Supplemental Kits_19+_R1.pdf
    349 KB · Views: 3

Alloy

I'd pull that tape off the floor ASAP and replacec it with Ramboard.

Longer the tape stays on the XXX harder it is to remove.

RS59

The tape shows me where the hydronic lines are. I wont be leaving the tape on much longer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles