NorthstarTC650-n-Tundra

zidaro

Explorer
DSC_0024-2.jpg

this is the best shot i have of that mount. the grey piece is just a stick of angle iron cut down and bolted to the Happijack mounts, the other bit that the awning base clips into is from Fiamma

I can try to get a better shot if this is not what your looking for

Joeprunc

Observer
Just read your whole thread. I can't wait to get a pop camper. We went to the RV show this weekend in Sac and my wife is 120% on board to get one!! I do have a few questions for you if you don't mind:

Do you ever wish you had the 800 model? I know its longer and extra weight, but is the additional 12"-18" something that would make a difference during wet or snowy camping?

Towing: how safe did you feel towing with a hitch extension? We have a 20' ski boat that we would like to take to some more remote lakes.

I noticed your trip to KOH you had a bike on a hitch carrier. How how safe did you feel with that additional tongue weight and hitch extension? My old 04' Tacoma with OME Dakar leafs & Camburg CO didn't handle my bike hitch carrier (loaded with a YZ250F) worth a crap, sometimes hitting bumps I felt like my frame was going to fold in half. We upgraded the Tacoma to a Chevy 2500 Duramax (w/ 6.5' bed), so we could essentially do a TC650 or TC800. I'm not really worried about overloading the new truck, but just don't know how safe I feel with a bike cantilevered further out with the hitch extender.

Also what tie down system do you use? The happyjac seem to be the easiest, but I'm not sure if I want those taps between bed and cab sticking out all the time. I've heard great things about torque lift, but I feel like the extension bars would just get in the way when you are off the beaten path.

By the way, seeing your Tundra build I am missing my old Taco.

zidaro

Explorer
Sorry it took me a bit before getting an answer out. Love the popup!

Just read your whole thread. I can't wait to get a pop camper. We went to the RV show this weekend in Sac and my wife is 120% on board to get one!! I do have a few questions for you if you don't mind:

Do you ever wish you had the 800 model? I know its longer and extra weight, but is the additional 12"-18" something that would make a difference during wet or snowy camping?

I dont think about it too much, it fits our truck, and the 800 would not. Im sure a little more space could be used, esp. as our daughter grows and wants a friend along. But, again, this is why we have a pop-up, keeps it simple, tight, and somewhat light. Keeps us outside more than in.

Towing: how safe did you feel towing with a hitch extension? We have a 20' ski boat that we would like to take to some more remote lakes.

Hitch extension feels fine, I trust it 100% with the weight i have behind or on it. Mine is only a 14"er. I have a car hauler that i have put behind it with a 5K crawler on it, no issue so long as the trailer brakes are working. Its purdy standard practice for truck campers that travel to shows, think equestrian, and take a trailer. They have extensive weight behind them.

I noticed your trip to KOH you had a bike on a hitch carrier. How how safe did you feel with that additional tongue weight and hitch extension? My old 04' Tacoma with OME Dakar leafs & Camburg CO didn't handle my bike hitch carrier (loaded with a YZ250F) worth a crap, sometimes hitting bumps I felt like my frame was going to fold in half. We upgraded the Tacoma to a Chevy 2500 Duramax (w/ 6.5' bed), so we could essentially do a TC650 or TC800. I'm not really worried about overloading the new truck, but just don't know how safe I feel with a bike cantilevered further out with the hitch extender.

Also what tie down system do you use? The happyjac seem to be the easiest, but I'm not sure if I want those taps between bed and cab sticking out all the time. I've heard great things about torque lift, but I feel like the extension bars would just get in the way when you are off the beaten path.

I use the Happijac rear bumper cleats and twistlock bars, works perfect on a rigid bumper and still has some flex- the OEM tin bumper flexed quite a bit offroad, close to causing damage.
For the front i am using 2" W HD ratchet straps that are attached by d-ring at the frame between the cab and bed, run between and up over the top of the camper jack mount, then D-ringed to the standard tieoff bracket on camper. The strap allows for quite a bit of flex while the truck is bouncing around, I think it really helps keep the camper from tearing itself apart on washboard roads and rutted/rocked out trail.

By the way, seeing your Tundra build I am missing my old Taco.

Im addicted to TOYOTA :)

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
Well just reviewed your thread again. It's been a while. I got a pop-up and am working on getting my solar plans laid out.
See you in Saline in the fall. It is my favorite place to camp as well.

bphang10

Observer
me too, reviewing your thread and prepping for my own solar setup. i have a few questions. what are you powering by solar besides the fridge? how long have you camped without driving and what was the state of the battery? are you using the tilt mechanism on the solar panel? what is the amp hour capacity of your battery? also, overall impression of the solar performance please. thanks!

brian90744

American Trekker
What new .

Arron.
What have you done on your Northstar lately. It's been very quite from the north country.
brian

zidaro

Explorer
Arron.
What have you done on your Northstar lately. It's been very quite from the north country.
brian

:sombrero: Just pouncing around the east side mostly! Did get a few days over in Big Sur camping, but we spent all our time there running a marathon and then resting around the campfire afterwards. No mods on the Star! Its perfect and holding up very well to my abuse.

Re: solar

We are powering mostly just the Fridge, phone chargers, and a good sized boom box all day. the other uses such as heater blower and lighting are dependent on weather. Oh, and a set of LED string lights all night.
My battery is always topped off unless i am plugging in someone else's battery for the day to recharge theirs :) I never tilt my panel cuz its always topped by noon. It really does work perfectly and i am so stoked to have the peace of mind. It will last as long as you have water and food, btw.

zidaro

Explorer
Did a great little trip out to Saline in Nov. The roads are beat hard by a tough Summer of floods. It was a great time getting out there and once there, the crowds are not.

zidaro

Explorer
some updates. Rest assure, we are using the camper quite a bit.

another great week in Saline Valley
IMG_2897_zps5160a65b.jpg

Had a Course at UCLA for a week. Blazed down with the Northstar to try out Boondocking along the Santamonica Coast. Finished the class and headed up Thru Ventura Co. for more of the same. No issues, just pull in late and out early. Look sharp, not vagabond

Las Tunis State Beach roadside camping. Malibu
IMG_1461_zps3a4eb167.jpg

IMG_2905_zpscb70afef.jpg

IMG_2906_zpsbd184ec5.jpg

UCLA lot camping. Free WIFI :) if you pick the right lot. An upper level entry is important!
IMG_2907_zpsa63b0a7d.jpg

Venice Beach at Washington just off the Pier. Sketchy nights, great bars.
IMG_1468_zps7e206bbb.jpg

IMG_2908_zpseeeb43a0.jpg

Mugu State Campground. Sunrise surf session, Be sure to pull out before 7:30 ;)
IMG_1470_zps8b7c65b3.jpg

ventura co. at N. Fairgrounds or "Pipes"
IMG_2914_zps9367457e.jpg

IMG_1479_zps29ae14ae.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles