Northstar popup on flatbed

Madmodifier

Well you have to start somewhere. I have been loving all of the build post on this site. Some day I would love to find a four wheel camper or the like. I would really like to have one of the flatbed arctic models.

Today I picked me up a starter model.

1992 (so sad the add, build tab seems to say 12/84) Northstar 8ft popup.
IMG_20130827_193653_240.jpg

IMG_20130827_193631_777.jpg

IMG_20130827_193613_325.jpg

Lots of work to do but looking forward to the adventure.

Any ideas on how best to re-enforce the tie downs for mild off road travel? Plate? thickness? size? chains for tiedowns?

Last edited:

gunnermoose

Adventurer
Looks like a good canvas to start with. Do plan to use the dead spacw for storage boxes. I plan to follow this build.

Madmodifier

As soon as I can find some used boxes I will be putting them in the dead space. The price of new ones are kind of silly high. Right now I have a piece of e track on each side that I use to strap down things every day. You could easily strap down a cooler or other gear.

jrfromafar

Adventurer
Looks like a good start - I like the idea of a pop up on a flatbed - but something that can go on / off easily.

boblynch

Adventurer
I'll second the suggestion for Fastguns. We use them on our rather large flatbed and they hold the rig in place very well. We use heavy duty rubber mats (designed for horse stalls) on the flatbed and load the camper on top. The mats provide a degree of protection to the camper and flatbed. You can pick them up at your local feed store.

Madmodifier

Thanks guys I will check them out. I also think I need to reinforce the camper it's self. I am worried about the tiedown point not being sturdy enough. I will be looking in to some aluminum plate to beef up the area. I also have an issue with the jack not being able to raise the camper high enough to load. I had to severely air down the tires to load it at the sellers location. I think for this I will need to look for tubing that can be installed between the the bottom of the jack and the foot. If I can get 6" more I will be in good shape.

Madmodifier

Made a little progess this weekend.

Made jack extentsions so I don't have that whole tire air down issue. They may not be pretty but it got the job done.

IMG_20130831_072543_568[1].jpg

Found my water pump issue.

IMG_20130831_073034_275[1].jpgIMG_20130831_073045_891[1].jpg

And went to a local RV house and got a replacement.

IMG_20130831_072643_326[1].jpg

Still have a tank leak but it pumps. Also want to replace the grungy line.

Madmodifier

Some dirt time with the camper. I built a headache rack for my bed and also welded a piece of 2" tube to the frame to tie in the headacke rack and a couple of eye bolts for the front camper mounts.

IMG_20130928_111929_349.jpgIMG_20130928_111909_942.jpgIMG_20130928_175406_673.jpgIMG_20131004_163307_517.jpg

bob91yj

Resident **************
Getting out and using it is the most important thing. Looking forward to watching the build thread.

jrfromafar

Adventurer
As soon as I can find some used boxes I will be putting them in the dead space. The price of new ones are kind of silly high. Right now I have a piece of e track on each side that I use to strap down things every day. You could easily strap down a cooler or other gear.

Just a thought -- No doubt what you want in boxes is pricy- but for storage & even stability, in the mean time, I wouldn't think it would be too expensive to build some temporary boxes - even if just out of plywood. You might even find plywood boxes would serve well, you might not even want to change them!

UHAULER

Explorer
What about a low side utility bed ? You would have plenty of storage and lower the camper closer to the cab and make it easier to get in and out.

ExpoMike

I have thought many times of a service body. Downside is, they tend to be very heavy, very $$$$ and some don't hold up well to real offroading.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles