Northstar 650 roof

Mickey Bitsko

Adventurer
recently purchased a 65 lb kayak , want to carry on thule or yakima rack top of my 2k Northstar 650 popup, however the roof seems/feels a little weak.
Does anyone have any experience with carrying anything on a Northstar popup ?
Thank you in advance..

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
I have an outfitter, same lift system for that year though. I have had two kayaks on mine, but dont do it often. When i do, i just lift with my hand a little to support it as it goes up to take strain off of the gear and crank handle.

bobmono

Observer
you should be fine - i store a few things on my northstar tc650 roof in a yakima box. i would say it is about 50-60 pounds. i usually remove the items before cranking up the roof, but have popped it up with the weight on the roof before.

Mickey Bitsko

Adventurer
It would be rare that I would lift with kayak on the roof.

What I am most concerned about is the roof itself, I've searched Yakima and Thule cross bars for mounting brackets
that mount at the outer edge or on the vertical side of the roof for more solid mounting ,
the roof area for mounting seems very flimsy for carrying any weight.

Pacific Northwest yetti , bobmono, could please share type of crossbar or carrying method ?
Thank you for any help or suggestions.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I've got a 2000 with dealer installed racks. The base itself was sourced from Coleman popup trailers with a Yakama crossbar. The bases are mounted on the outside edges with backing plates inside the camper. I've lifted it with long/shortboard but wouldn't do it again. I've crawled all over my roof with zero damage.
I carry a 6' folding ladder for access. They've gone up a bunch since my purchase 19 yrs ago. It's built in Switzerland(at least it was)
https://www.campingworld.com/regal-...0.html#q=folding+ladders&lang=default&start=6

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
I bought mine used, it had the mfgr racks on it, and yakima racks and cross bars on it, through bolted and sealed through the roof. I dont hesitate to climb on the roof ( rear ladder installed), and spent a few hours up there last weekend reinstalling the vent covers. I just lay my yaks across the bars and use a ratchet strap to keep them up there.

Not the best picture, but the one i have available

cph05a

I once tore the gears on my 1995 northstar 850 when I tried to lift the roof with snow on it. It has a manual Heco lift system. Not sure what you've got on yours, but if you keep the manual lift system you might run into a similar problem if you try to lift the roof with the kayak on there. I climb up on the roof all the time for snow removal when the lift is down so I don't think the weight would be a problem unless you try to lift it with the kayak on.

bobmono

Observer
also just found this on the Northstar website FAQ:

The roof on either a manual crank lift system or the new electric lift system can carry up to 250 lbs in the down position evenly distributed.
The manual crank lift system will raise the roof plus up to 100 lbs., the electric lift system will raise the roof plus up to the 250 lbs.

Mickey Bitsko

Adventurer
Thank you all for your input/replies , I will look into Thule/Yakima cross bars and proceed from there.
From your replies it's evident my manual lift system should not be taxed, however, if I need to lift with
the kayak I will get assistance . The last thing I want to do is break the lift system while on vacation.

Mickey Bitsko

Adventurer
also just found this on the Northstar website FAQ:

The roof on either a manual crank lift system or the new electric lift system can carry up to 250 lbs in the down position evenly distributed.
The manual crank lift system will raise the roof plus up to 100 lbs., the electric lift system will raise the roof plus up to the 250 lbs.

I also found this information in my owners manual,
Thank you

Profkanz

Northstar now uses 'Swagman' racks on the roof.
There is a solid wood perimeter frame just inside the roof radius that is 2 1/2 inches wide.
This information is from the owner of the company, Rex Willet.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
recently purchased a 65 lb kayak , want to carry on thule or yakima rack top of my 2k Northstar 650 popup, however the roof seems/feels a little weak.
Does anyone have any experience with carrying anything on a Northstar popup ?
Thank you in advance..
Mount the Yakima towers just in from the sides with through bolts and backing plates inside. It'll take 84" Yakima poles to span the width of the camper. Mine have held 2-3 longboards and four shortboards up there. I never chanced it on the roof load,as I feared stripping out the crank gear when I was 500 miles south in Baja and 1.5 hrs offroad.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles