Northern Tool 4ft Overland Trailer Build

Roam.Wild

So the reduced clearance not an issue?

I dunno from shocks, is the length critical for performance? stubbier ones not nearly as good?

Not to me, we really stick to mainly FS roads the like. We don't do any serious rock crawling or anything so clearance has never been an issue in any of my rigs. Shock length is all about travel not ride performance, again since this trailer will only see dirt/gravel roads, having long travel shocks is not important.

dbhost

Just curious, and mind you, the thread is pretty much TL:DR so please forgive me for missing this. But it seems with the amounts of added metal, and components, why didn't you just start off with bare steel and DIY the entire thing? Seems like you might have saved time, money, and effort. Nice build, just trying to understand the thought process...

krick3tt

Adventurer
I have looked at your build and from what I can see you have fantastic fabrication skills and starting with a known platform (NT trailer) it sets you up for a great trailer and considering your mindset of not rock crawling you seem to have chosen well. When I saw the first bit of your build I was curious of the height to length ratio but seeing what you installed on the trailer frame it became much clearer as to the height/weight consideration. Good job. I am inspired by seeing your build.
I had an M416 military trailer with a RT tent on it but I did not use it much so sold it. Upon regretting that I built a 4 footer from HF. I have zero skill backing a trailer and now that I have condensed almost everything into the vehicle and an OZ tent for longer excursions I think I might sell the trailer since I have not used it in 6 years.DSC03771.jpg

Last edited:

Roam.Wild

Just curious, and mind you, the thread is pretty much TL:DR so please forgive me for missing this. But it seems with the amounts of added metal, and components, why didn't you just start off with bare steel and DIY the entire thing? Seems like you might have saved time, money, and effort. Nice build, just trying to understand the thought process...

I was thinking that starting with the NT trailer would save me time, and it did not lol. We are building two more currently and I started from scratch on them, way better than starting off with the prebuilt frame from HF/NT.

Roam.Wild

Finally changed my side doors. This has been on my mind since last year. So much better now! I'm saving the rear for later this month, have a few other projects to button up before the Adventure Van Expo this coming weekend.

Attachments

• IMG_0567.jpg
    IMG_0567.jpg
    570.3 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_0566.jpg
    IMG_0566.jpg
    504.2 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_0572.jpg
    IMG_0572.jpg
    698.7 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0571.jpg
    IMG_0571.jpg
    688.6 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_0570.jpg
    IMG_0570.jpg
    690.9 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_0569.jpg
    IMG_0569.jpg
    705.5 KB · Views: 93

Roam.Wild

Finally replaced the rear door! And then sold it for $5,000! It's been fun, maybe I'll do another one in a year or so now that I have some more ideas on how to improve version 2

Attachments

• IMG_0108.jpg
    IMG_0108.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 45

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles