Northern Teardrop Trailer X North 53 Overland - Semi-Custom Northern Teardrop Trailer Build - Alberta, Canada

Well today, ordered the awning: Darche Eclipse 180 Gen 2.

once the trailer arrives, design of the 80/20 aluminum roof rack will commence.

Attachments

• 649F54C5-C01F-437F-90BF-D2F409A84F09.jpeg
    649F54C5-C01F-437F-90BF-D2F409A84F09.jpeg
    120.7 KB · Views: 14
November 7, 2021 - Retrospective Entry

It was August of 2020, the first summer of the pandemic that my wife and I were ground camping at Tunnel Mountain in Banff. Beside us was David and his DIY teardrop. After coming back from the restroom one day on our trip, my wife was at David's site looking at the teardrop. I meandered over to say hi and take a look. Like many, I had seen teardrops on the road, but never really got up close to one. David was sharing his story how he bought this DIY trailer off someone a year or so before, and spent as much time in it as possible. The ability to sleep off the ground, have shelter and a nice little kitchen setup with a roof appeared to be appealing to me. Was this something I have longed for but didn’t know about it?

I started to think about what life could be like if we had a trailer and a new tow vehicle. At the time we had three vehicles, all great, but nothing tow worthy. During this time, the new Bronco was all the rage. By the end of the weekend, I put down deposits for not one, but two new Bronco's. My first vehicle as an '88 Bronco II, so getting the new full-sized Bronco was quite appealing. Fast forward to today, we have a '21 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, and that story is for another time.

So now that a tow vehicle is on order, I went to my wife to say that I think my journey with the Audi, fast cars, race tracks and exotic cars was coming to a temporary end. As an Owner of a commercial interior architectural design firm, stress is always there. I knew I needed a change. And the sale of the Audi would be the means to get there. To me, the outdoors has always been a relief. At this time, I didn't really know what "overlanding" was. I knew it as adventuring by vehicle, didn't know there was a term for it. Yes, years earlier I had seen Expedition Overland on YouTube and watched a few videos, but that was it. So this was a all new to me and us.

So now that the seed was planed, I started to research trailer manufacturers. Locally there was Off Grid Trailers and Mission Overland. A few others as well, but being a designer and someone who wanted value, spending $40-60,000 cdn on the trailer didn't seem right. After more research, I found Northern Teardrop Trailer in Salmo, BC. Then I saw in person a trailer they built for a local Jeep/off-road shop on a custom chassis built by that shop. This got me thinking about doing the same.

By September 2020, my wife and I were near Salmo, BC and stopped in to see Dale at Northern Teardrop Trailer. He showed us his shop and shared his past construction experience as well as how they build their trailers. As someone who has been involved in large scale commercial construction projects, I was keen on Dale's attention to detail and how every year he makes tweaks to make the trailers better. They only build 20-22 trailers a year. As such, I knew that this thing would have a lot of quality controls in place which appealed to me. A couple of months later, with the Audi now sold, I sent in our deposit on November 18, 2020 knowing full well that we would be the last pick-up for 2021.

Over the course of 50 weeks, we worked with Dale on various details and tweaks. We also worked with Travis Kruger of Innovative Welding in Edmonton, AB on the chassis design/fabrication (he has done chassis for Off-Grid Trailer and Mission Overland). Taking queues of other trailers I liked, the chassis was designed and fabricated (see previous posts).

By April, 2020, we delivered the completed chassis to Northern Teardrop Trailer and there it would sit until it was done.

Fast forward to this weekend. A 3 day, 1800km round trip to get the trailer. Salmo, BC is about 900km SW from Edmonton. The most direct route from Edmonton, is via the Kootenay Pass which is part of the Crowsnest Highway. The Kootenay Pass is one of the highest highway-served passes in Canada that is open year-round, although it is frequently closed in bad weather for avalanche control and clearing of debris. As we were entering the winter season, there was a bit of concern of road conditions. A bit more of that to come.

The plan was:
- Day 1: Drive from Edmonton to Creston, with an overnight in Creston.
- Day 2: Drive from Creston to Northern Teardrop Trailer, get the trailer, and start to drive to Edmonton. Roads being a factor, maybe drive all the way back or find a hotel on the route.

Day 1, I picked up my father at 6:00am. My father wanted to come on this quick adventure to get the trailer. It was an easy day, just some good father/son bonding as we made our way to our hotel in Creston, BC for the night. If in Creston, stop by the Frisky Whisky Cocktail bar. Feels like it was pulled straight out of the prohibition era!

On Day 2 we woke up, got a great coffee and breakfast wrap from a local cafe/roaster in Creston called Buffalo Trails Coffee house. Worth a stop if you are in town! By 9:15am we arrived at Northern Teardrop Trailer where we were greeted by Dale and Diana.

Sitting there in front of their shop was our new trailer. Beefily hoisted in the air on a set of @Timbren 3500HD axle less suspension wearing 17" Venomrex VR-602 wheels and 285/70R17 BF Goodrich K02's. Man the trailer looked amazing. Wider than tall, probably 6" wider than the Rubicon, I knew this thing would be stable!

We spent the next hour going through all the details and some install requirements for the next phase of the build which I am doing myself. With the trailer finally connected to the Jeep and our new Tekonsha P3 controller, we set off for home.

But first, one stop. As Northern Teardrop Trailer is located on the slope beside the Salmo Ski Hill and with there being beautiful fall colours, some mist and low-lying clouds around, I thought it would be perfect area to take a few drone shots. Once the drone shoots were done, we made our way into the town of Salmo, refuelled with coffee at the Dragonfly Cafe and away we went.

First impressions were that the trailer tracks perfectly. With the Jeep and trailer having almost the same width, the trailer really was an extension of the Jeep. We made our way East on the Crowsnest Highway and within 15 minutes we were climbing the Kootenay Pass. One thing I have to say is that when we got the Jeep, we were so happy it came with the KO2 M+S tires. And this day was a prime reason why. At the top of the pass, I decided to pull over, check on the trailer and tires one last time and of course, snap a picture. There is something to be said about designing and building an adventure trailer and within 15-20 minutes on the delivery day, you need to ensure it's all in order for snow! After everything checked out, we continued on our way. After another 30 minutes of mainly downhill driving back towards Creston, the roads faired much better. We pushed on. By 3pm Alberta time on Saturday we were near Cranbrook where we grabbed a quick bite and then pushed our way home. At this point we decided the roads were in great condition and that despite us needing to drive part of the way home in the dark, that portion would be on the heavily trafficked Hwy 2 North from Calgary to Edmonton.

At 10pm on Day 2, we were home. Safe, sound, tired but for myself excited. Excited for the next steps in the build. but even more excited for the adventures. The ability to go where we want (almost), when we want. To see the world from a different perspective. Too often, in my daily life, everything has a deadline, a timeline, a rush to be done sooner and sooner. Time is money, time is money, time is money. I can tell you, after 20 years doing what I do, it is taking a toll on me. What Covid and that August 2020 camping trip did for me was help me realize that the slow, pace of nature, the fresh air, and the sound of no technology is my grounding place. I'm excited (probably more than my wife), to explore this great country of Canada, into the US and Mexico. Perhaps one day as well, we can ship the Jeep and trailer to Australia to explore there. Ironically, while I said I didn't know what Overlanding really was above, my first actual experience with this adventure lifestyle was in March, 2004, as I backpacked accross Eastern Australia and spent 3 nights in a 70 Series Landcruiser with 8 strangers on the beaches of Fraser Island.

Looking back, I have always had an adventurous spirit. It has gone dormant from time to time, but when it awakens from its sleep, it comes out bigger than ever. I'm not sure what the future holds. Do I continue to work and travel? Do I look at a new career that allows me more adventure time and the ability to disconnect a bit more? Do I find new life in my career as a designer? No idea. But what I do know is that this trailer is going to be a life changer, and just maybe it can help me encounter things I could never have imagined and help shape my life even more. As life continues, I'm sure to be on here more and more as well as reading as much in Overland Journal as much as possible. Maybe one day there will be an article about me/us in Overland Journal on our adventures? Never say never!

So until next time where we begin Phase 3 of the build, here are a few photos and a little sneak peak montage of the new trailer and Jeep:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdYFww2CFtI

November 6, 2021 - Trailer Pick-up
IMG_8798.jpgIMG_8802.jpgIMG_8817.jpgIMG_202111070845517.jpgIMG_202111070845518.jpgIMG_202111070845516.jpgIMG_202111070845515.JPGIMG_8833.jpg

March 2004 - Fraser Island Trip
199240_4646262665_6336_n.jpg

I'm on the far left in this picture.

Uncle Jeffy

That is such an awesome story, @phnttom thanks for taking the time to write , edit and share! Reading the excitement in your narrative reminded me of my own teardrop (squareback) purchase, and interactions with Dale, even though I didn't buy one of his trailers. I have followed your posts with interest and I'm stoked that Dale's business has taken off!

I live in Vancouver and after a year of research placed an order for a Hiker Mid-Range in 2017 that I picked up in 2018. During my pre-purchase research I met Dale at an RV show in Abbotsford, where he was displaying his prototype trailer out the back of the exhibition hall. At the time, his offering had the small wheels, and I was looking for something a bit more rugged and with a production history. Dale did research the bigger wheels for me, but in the end I decided to go with Hiker Trailer and deal with the road trip, exchange rates, and lead time. I thought Dale was a great guy and I felt bad for not buying local, but I have no regrets with my decision. That said, I'm so pleased that things worked so well for you and your amazing project. You should be proud!

That is such an awesome story, @phnttom thanks for taking the time to write , edit and share! Reading the excitement in your narrative reminded me of my own teardrop (squareback) purchase, and interactions with Dale, even though I didn't buy one of his trailers. I have followed your posts with interest and I'm stoked that Dale's business has taken off!

I live in Vancouver and after a year of research placed an order for a Hiker Mid-Range in 2017 that I picked up in 2018. During my pre-purchase research I met Dale at an RV show in Abbotsford, where he was displaying his prototype trailer out the back of the exhibition hall. At the time, his offering had the small wheels, and I was looking for something a bit more rugged and with a production history. Dale did research the bigger wheels for me, but in the end I decided to go with Hiker Trailer and deal with the road trip, exchange rates, and lead time. I thought Dale was a great guy and I felt bad for not buying local, but I have no regrets with my decision. That said, I'm so pleased that things worked so well for you and your amazing project. You should be proud!

Thank you for the follow and the kind words. Yeah, you can say there is some enthusiasm Lol. Still a few more steps until we run with this trailer but can’t wait.

Congrats on your Hiker. I have seen their trailers and they appear to be a great trailer with a good following.

Dale will be busy with orders into 2023 I’m told which is great. I can’t say for sure, but suspect our trailer was a first and last of its kind. Don’t quote me, but I think doing custom takes more time and while it creates unique trailers, it doesn’t help with efficiency when it’s just 2 people building. I suspect as we were the last for 2021 it made it easier as we were not holding up any orders. No matter the reason, we are grateful for them working with us on the trailer!

Build Update - November 26, 2021

It's been 3 weeks since the trailer was picked up. Work has been busy, but putting every hour I can into the next phase. Phase 3 will really begin between Christmas and New years.

Tasks accomplished recently:
- USB powered LED RGB strip lights with RF controller & app as well as aluminum extrusions for the sleeping area cove lighting has arrived.
- New 95L Roam Adventure case in slate was ordered on Black Friday with 20% off thanks to Northridge 4x4 Canada.
- The entire shape, dimensions and existing hatch, hinges, doors, etc of the trailer habitat and have been templated and transferred into AutoCAD.
- I have started to decide on the final dimensions and design for a custom, DIY 80/20 aluminum extrusion roof rack with steel brackets. Due to the unique shape of the trailer, I'm thinking 3 brackets per side and they will bolt through the 3/4" thick plywood side walls and connect to the 1" x 2" 80/20 roof rack. Roof rack will hold: 95L Roam case, 180 degree awning and 3 gal WaterPort.
- I have decided to raise the height of the front custom fridge/battery box. This will allow the 75L fridge freezer still to fit, but above it I will install a 4" dia. PVC tube to hold fishing rods as well as the extra awning poles. On top of that box will be a custom rack. That rack will hold 2 x Ark top loading 5 gal. jerry can holders, be designed to have tie down points and be a place to store wood as well as I may raise the angle piece and put on my MaxTrax pins.

Here is a B&W graphic elevation of the passenger side (right side) of the trailer with the awning deployed.

Trailer Side Elv.jpg

December 28, 2021 - Phase 3 - Cabinet Build

Firstly, happy holidays. Hope to those on here and especially those who have been following my build had a great holiday season so far.

Cabinet Build - Days 1 & 2 (Dec 27 & Dec 28)
So yesterday, December 27, 2021, the interior cabinets for the trailer started. Since it's -38oC outside, it felt like a good idea to spend the Christmas to New Year holidays in my dad's super oversized garage along with my father-in-law to start the cabinet build.

The main cabinets are all made out of pre-finished, 3/4" birch plywood panels, some 1/2" of the same for drawer bottoms, etc and a pre-fabricated butcherblock countertop.

Here is an image of the galley side of the cabinets for reference. From Left to Right we have 3 banks of lower cabinets. This includes a slide-out for the Partner Steel stove, a pull-out, solid teak cutting board and pots and pans below. In the middle is a door with a pass-thru into the sleeping area. This has access to the water pump, shore power as well as a place to store our Bluetti EB-70 electric battery source. Below that is a cutlery drawer. The far right bank area has a pull-out with hold-open feature to hold our collapsible sink (no drain). Then below it are two pantry drawers behind a door. This allows us to remove a drawer if we ever want.

The upper galley cabinets are split into a left and a right side, with a middle vertical power/fuse area. The left side has a narrow door area for mugs and coffee items. The adjacent two doors are for plates/bowls, etc. The far right cabinets are more upper storage for food.

Above both upper cabinets will be magnetic area for spices and other small plastic jars.
Galley.jpg

At the end of the first two days we have:
1) Cut all the lower cabinet drawers.
2) Cut in the water tank filler & NOCO shore power connection. This was a scary moment. Cutting in 1 5/8" + 2" holes into the side of a new trailer!!!!! This took time to plan, with templates, etc to ensure locations did not interfere with my drawers. Our trailer has mainly drawers versus doors so that meant lots of planning for plumbing & cabling.
3) Lower cabinets all cut as well.
4) Countertop templated, cut & dry fit.
5) Testing, testing & more testing to ensure the rear hatch operates as required with each tweak.

I hope by January 2, 2022, as my week long office closure comes to an end that all the cabinets will be done. Leaving me only with 12v wiring left to do.

In February the trailer goes back to Innovative Welding for a skid plate for the water tank and below trailer plumbing. Rewiring of the tail lights (the brake lights are turning amber instead of red), the custom metal tongue box with doors, battery area (driver's side) and slide out for the 75L fridge/freezer (passenger side) as well as brackets for the custom 80/20 roof rack.

Then in March the 80/20 aluminum roof rack with final install of our Darche 180 awning,3 Gal. Waterport & Roam Adventures 95L case.

Stay tuned for more, but in the meantime, photos from Days 1 & 2 below.

IMG_0591.jpgIMG_0600.jpgIMG_0598.jpgIMG_0605.jpgIMG_0604.jpgIMG_0613.jpgIMG_0601.jpg

December 31, 2021 - Phase 3 - Cabinet Build

Let me start off by saying that in my day to day job as a commercial interior design firm, I spend hundreds of hours a year designing and detailing millwork and cabinets. I work with some of the best in the industry and have won numerous design awards for our projects. With that said, designing for one's self is a different story. I am picky for all my clients, but even more so for myself. Not only have I spent dozens upon dozens of hours on this trailer cabinet design, which is only 5 feet wide, I have spent even more hours researching and looking at what others have done. Now add in the fact that I decided to build the cabinets myself with the tools on hand at my dad's shop and what my father-in-law could bring, and we have an interesting store.

In general, i have a good idea on how long things take to build. I do it day in and day out. But that is based on professionals doing the work with hundreds of thousands of dollars in equipment and millwork shops up to 60,000 sq ft. So when Day 4 came and went and we were still not done the lower section of the galley cabinets, I can be honest and say it's feeling slow, BUT amazing too.

I had closed my office between Christmas and New Years and was going to use this week to get it all done. I will probably only be half done by January 2, but that is ok. As long as it's all done by the end of January before the trailer goes back to Innovative Welding for Phase 3B, it's all good.

Cabinet Build - Days 3 & 4 (Dec 29 & Dec 30)
So for days 3 & 4 we got all the drawers built. Then of course one drawer was just 1/8" too wide, so that had to be taken apart and rebuilt. The joys of measure twice, cut once...lol.

One item that Dale from Northern Teardrop Trailer was a bit concerned with was selling me a trailer without cabinets. As the sides are only 3/4" plywood and we would be travelling about 900km without cabinets to hold it all in place, there was a fear of warping. Well that did not happen, but there was some bowing. At the vertical middle where the galley cabinets are going, the walls pushed out a good 3/8" total. But after a call with Dale, he shared with me a few tips. With the force of one person on the outside, I used some #10 x 1 1/4" screws to suck in the exterior walls tight to the interior lower galley cabinets, and man did that ever work!!!

By the end of Day 4, 50% of the lower drawers were installed, the compounding drawer with 2 sets of lock-in/lock-out glides was done including the install of an amazing TeakHaus, solid teak cutting board. Through the install, we realized 1 set of the lock-in/lock-out glides had a non-functioning locking mechanism, so a new one is on order and the malfunctioning one will be returned.

The pull-out collapsible sink area is also done. The intent is like with any home kitchen, reducing steps and keeping everything within a certain distance. The sink can be removed, the slide pushed in and have more prep area. The teak cutting board can also be removed for cleaning or use elsewhere. My favourite feature is a storage spot between the cutting board and Cook Partner stove for our Lodge cast iron griddle/flat top.

It is now New Year's eve. Taking today and tomorrow off, but then spending Sunday to finish the lowers and maybe start the uppers.

One major decision I made was to sub-out the finished door/drawer fronts to one of my millworkers. As I am very picking and want the visible areas as nice as possible, I figured letting the pros handle this would be best. The fronts will be clear lacquered birch plywood like the rest of the cabinets but will have some solid wood edging for durability. While all glides have hold-close functions and the sink has hold-open/hold-close, I am still using some push latch knobs. For fun, I did my first order from Aliexpress for these: Aliexpress: Zinc Alloy Drawer Latch Button Locks

Thanks again for the follow. Wishing each of you a Happy New Year and a great start to 2022. May adventure lead you to all your dreams.

IMG_0648.jpgIMG_0650.jpgIMG_0651.jpgIMG_0654.jpgIMG_0655.jpgIMG_0661.jpgIMG_0667.jpgIMG_0671.jpgIMG_0673.jpgIMG_0674.jpg

January 5, 2022 - Phase 3 - Removable Cook Partner Details

Spent just a couple of hours today to fine tune a few things on the galley kitchen.

One important functional item we were struggling with was the best way to mount our 22" Cook Partner stove to ensure it didn’t move while in transit, but still allowed us to remove it for use at camp. Thx to Lee Valley Tools, we determined four (4) 35lb cupped magnets was the answer. As the Cook Partner stove is non-ferrous, holes were drilled at the bottom of the stove so that the new stainless steel washer could be bolted on. Then the cupped magnet was templates and screwed to the wood top of the stove slide area.

I also replaced one set of lock-in/lock-out slides for the cutting board as the locking mechanism wasn't working.

I then relocated spacers from two slides to the other side of the same drawers to offset the drawers further to miss the door when the slide open as there are drawers behind a door.

Finally I gave the counter a good coat of food grade mineral oil.

Here are a photo photos of the install of the magnets to the Cook Partner stove and to the slide and how it all works.

IG Reel showing the final stove slide with magnets done:

Photos:
IMG_0816.jpgIMG_0818.jpgIMG_0819.jpgIMG_0820.jpgIMG_0823.jpgIMG_0822.jpgIMG_0824.jpgIMG_0821.jpgIMG_0817.jpgIMG_0815.jpg

January 15, 2022 - Phase 3 - Removable Cook Partner Details

Well it's been a long week and a half since I could last work on the trailer. Today the focus was on trying to get as much of the upper galley side cabinets done. Overall in 7 hours we got most of what I wanted accomplished.

1) Butcher block top oiled.
2) Upper left and upper right cabinets done and installed.
3) The upper left has a narrow storage area which will be for coffee related items: aeropress, french press and our Atmos vacuum containers. Then beside that will be
4) All upper cabinet shelves will be adjustable with locking 5mm shelf pins and 1/2" birch shelves

Photo 2022-01-15, 5 30 33 PM.jpgPhoto 2022-01-15, 6 01 49 PM.jpgPhoto 2022-01-15, 6 02 01 PM.jpgPhoto 2022-01-15, 11 12 37 AM.jpgPhoto 2022-01-15, 11 23 46 AM.jpgPhoto 2022-01-15, 11 27 52 AM.jpgPhoto 2022-01-15, 12 16 09 PM.jpg

Next Steps for Cabinets
- Template and install the 3/4" vertical panel on the backside of the upper cabinets which separate the bed area from the galley.
- Then we can template and complete the vertical area on the galley side between the 2 existing upper cabinets. This is the 12V electrical area. All wiring feeds into here for the fuse block. This will also house the switches, some USB outlets and a 12V outlet
- Once the vertical panel is in we can also template and build the storage cabinets on the bed side. This will include a left and a right closed door cabinet with an open area between. Below it will be an area with cargo mesh.
- Lastly the 12V RGB light strip at the cove detail on the bed side will be run.
- Then finally all 12V wiring.

February Items
- In February the trailer will head back to Innovative Welding for the following:
- Rewire brake lights. For some reason the rear lights which are brake & turn combined are turning amber instead of red when the brake is applied. Probably 1 wire needs to be shifted to where it is on the wiring block.
- Adjust the 3 threaded lugs for the spare tire carrier. While templated, while they welded it on, 1 of them shifted and is off just enough to prevent the spare from going on.
- Shorten 7-pin harness to the Jeep. It's just a bit too long.
- Build the front tongue box to house the 75L fridge/freezer with pull-out on Passenger Side and then batteries on the Driver's side.
- Add some sort of cargo box/tie-down area on top of the tongue box. I will also install the two (2) 5gal jerry can holders onto here.
- Build skid-plate for the 12 gallon fresh water tank.
- Either install an 11lb propane tank mount that I buy from Power Tank or Expedition Essentials, or have them fabricate one I designed.
- Design and Build steel brackets for the roof rack as well as a custom hinged bracket for my QuickPitch En-Suite in metal box
- Measure and order my black 80/20 t-slot aluminum for my custom roof rack
- Install the Waterport, Darche Awning & Quick-Pitch En-Suite
- Purchase & install batteries along with some Renogy DC-to-DC converter, Solar Charge Controller & AC-DC battery charger for the batteries

All the above to be done no later than mid March as we then pack and head on out for 25 days!

January 20, 2022 - Phase 3 - Trailer Graphics

As my day job is in commercial interior design and we often work with graphic designers, and many times Clients ask about the super cheap online graphic services of Fiverr and the like, I decided to go through the Fiverr process so I can speak to what it's like and the limitations of that in my day job. So, I decided to hire someone on Fiverr to create a logo for us and our small overland side business.

Attached is the final result of the North 53 Overland logo and how we plan to install it on the trailer. The overall height is 50".

May even do the install by end of January before we take the trailer back to Innovative Welding.

ProfilePic-W-Facebook.jpgMock Up - Both Sides.jpgIMG_1324.jpg

February 7, 2022 - Phase 3 - Cabinet Finishing Touches, LED Mood Lights & DIY TrekPak Drawer Organizers

I'm not sure where the time is going, but it seems to be going fast.

Over the past 2 1/2 weeks I was away for one weekend for a work trip, so that means the past two weekends have been spent working extra hard.

Jan 24, 29/30:
- On this weekend we finished the final overall cabinet build including testing out the inexpensive USB powered RGB bluetooth lights for the habitat area. They will get powered off of the final trailer battery setup with a concealed 12V usb outlet above the cabinets. Photos to come when I can lower their resolution.
- The Renogy DC-DC Charger with built-in MPPT controller, the Renogy 500A shunt & Renogy Bluetooth BT-2 modules arrived for the 12V system
- Ordered my Sherpa Equipment metal brackets to fasten my Roam 95L adventure case to the roof rack.
- Ordered a PowerTank 11lb bracket to secure to the driver's side wheel fender. While I had designed one, this prefabricated mount was cheaper.

Feb 5/6:
- Took dimensions & templated the roof-line for custom, continuous linear 1/4" thick roof rails to support a DIY 80/20 aluminum roof rack.
- Finished sanding all the exposed edges to drawer boxes and cabinets. Applied 1 of 2 coats of clear urethane to all those same edges
- Built my own DIY TrekPak system for our galley drawers. Super simple and effective. It cost me 80% less than the price of the original Pelican TrekPak system and much more customized.

Attachments

• Photo 2022-02-06, 2 33 35 PM.jpg
    Photo 2022-02-06, 2 33 35 PM.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 16
February 19, 2022 - Phase 3 - Deliveries, plumbing propane, roof rack & Overland Journal

Took a break last weekend and hit Victoria with my other half. Nice to get some sea salt air in my lungs.

In the last week have had a few deliveries arrive:
- Powertank BKT-2286 arrive to hold our Flameking 11lb propane tank.
- Last of our 12V components including a Renogy, 100ah Smart Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery w/ Self-Heating Function
-
Template for custom brackets for roof rack
- Fabric samples for custom headboard

February 19, 2022
Today was a solid 7 hour day. Tasks accomplished:
- Started the morning by finished a second coat of urethane on all exposed edges of all interior cabinets.
- Test fitted the custom full-length brackets for the 80/20 aluminum roof rack. Template was CNC cut 1/8" Sintra, final material will be 1/4" aluminum, powder coated matte black.
- Installed clear anodized aluminum L angle at top edge of all galley upper cabinets.
- Finished the 12V wire chase where the fuse block will go and roughed in the water pump switch as well as 12v socket & usb outlets
- Roughed in the faucet.
- Test fitted the propane tank on the new Powertank braket. it will be installed on the driver's side trailer wheel fender as it is mounted to the chassis with four 3/8" lag bolts and is made of 1/8" steel. I'd rather install it on the fender than put more screws/bolts through the side of the trailer.

What's next???
- This weekend, placing the order for the 80/20 components for the roof rack from
- Building some aluminum interior organizer rails for the inside of the Roam Adventure Co 95L box.
- Deliver trailer to Innovative welding for the install of the custom tongue box and fix a few items.
- Sand and spray rhino coating on wheel fenders. Decided that in the long term, the powder coating won't last.
- Install the vinyl graphics on the trailer.
- Mount spare tire
- Mount Roof rack, including Darche awning, water port & QuickPitch en-suite & roam box.
- Possibly install some RGBW rock lights under the chassis.
- Build a headboard (if time permits).

- rails.jpgIMG_1946.jpgIMG_1956.jpgIMG_1957.jpgIMG_1958.jpgIMG_1953.jpgIMG_1954.jpg

LASTLY, thank you to Ashley Giordano and Overland Journal for including a photo I took in Jasper on August long weekend 2021 in the first Overland Journal magazine of 2022.

IMG_1963.jpg

February 28, 2022 - Phase 3 - Renogy Battery, 12V wiring, window coverings & roof rack

Just less than 5 weeks to go and so time is getting tight.

-This weekend I went to Tandy leather to get some grey, utility grade cow hides to make some custom window coverings. They will be connected to the plywood above the door with screw-in snaps, then rolled up and held into place with a contrasting leather strap and magnetic slide catch. Rare earth magnets from Lee Valley are adhered to the door in 4 spots with JB Weld. I would have had it done, but it turns out Tandy sold me the wrong tool for the snaps, and since they are closed on Sundays, I had to go back today to get the right tool.

- So with the above on hold, I decided to finally start-up and test our new Renogy, 100ah LiFePO4 battery with self-heating function. I chose that battery based on dollar value and the fact that being in Canada, many times in shoulder seasons I know that we will need to charge the battery in cooler/colder weather. Since Innovative Welding is not done our custom battery/fridge tongue box at the I could only test the battery with basic connections. I got the already run 12V wiring into the fuse box for the galley light, interior ready lights, water pump and roof fan. Test completed and systems passed.

- I still need to finalize wiring for the water pump, the interior LED RGBW strip lights and some auxiliary 12v outlets and usb outlets.

- I have to say, our decision to upgrade to the 10 speed Maxxfan is already seen as investment. Turning it on, it was super quiet!!!

- I also am so happy we decided on having Northern Teardrop find us dual-colour amber/white porch and galley lights. That will be so good when out in darker skies with our telescope and also with insects.

- I also test fitted the new templated design for the roof rack bracket. This is now a go.

- I also templated the lid bolt holes for the Roam 95L case, made a design for a 1/8" molle panel panel for the lid and got that into production.

- I found out that our https://www.fazstore.ca/ 80/20 order is now shipped so that should arrive this week. They were by far the cheapest supplier of 80/20 I could find in Canada. not many offering made in Canada options. Most suppliers buy from 80/20 in the US and just distribute. Probably would have cost more than double to go that route.

- Lastly today, i dropped off the 450lb locking slides, the 75L Alpicool dual zone fridge/freezer and my stove slide out at Innovative Welding's shop. They are going to finish those items over the next week. Then the trailer goes back there next week for the mounting of the tonuge box, the remove and replacement of a different kind of fender light and the install of the water tank skid plate.

What's Next:
- Next weekend: I hope to have the window coverings done and the water pump finally installed.
- Door/drawer fronts should be ready in about 2 weeks for me to install hinges and push-button pulls.

IMG_2165.jpgIMG_2166.jpgIMG_2167.jpgIMG_2149.jpgIMG_2150.jpgIMG_2151.jpgIMG_2147.jpgIMG_2148.jpg

March 20, 2022 - Phase 3 - The Last Push

I can't believe three weeks have gone by since my last post. This was my second last weekend before the trip. I feel a bit overwhelmed to be honest. Work has been insanely busy (if you recall, at least I might have mentioned before), I own a boutique commercial interior design firm and we are having our busiest year in ten years). So busy that part of me feels I shouldn't go on the trip, but I will go, and need to go. It's time.

In the past three weeks the following has taken place (in no particular order)
- Put a pause on the window coverings as I realized that I needed the roof rack brackets done and through the side walls before I do the final window coverings. With that, I may have to buy another hide as I feel I may have cut the first piece too short (measured twice, but measured twice wrong...lol). We shall see this week.
- Roof rack brackets were finished and powder coated and installed this weekend along with the custom 10-series 80/20 t-slot aluminum from Fazstore.ca.
- Got the Darche Gen 2 180 awning installed after a bit of effort. Somehow lost the factory provided hex nuts for the t-slot on the back to connect to the bracket. Buy my fathering being a good son of a farmer, ground-down some 5/16 carriage bolts to make some t-slot bolts and they worked like a charm. Realized with the height of the trailer, roof rack and Darche provided brackets that I will need to get some custom brackets made to lift the awning higher. While my otherhalf and I are short, I still feel a bit claustrophobic. That said, it will work for this trip. Hell we may even light it at the height provided.
- Ordered a 40" locking slide for the Quick-Pitch ensuite, but it came wrong. Came without locks. So back to Amazon they go. Of course, now there are no 40". Ordered 36" instead, they should work fine.
- Got the trailer back from Innovative welding Friday. They did a few misc. items: water tank skid plate (will work for now, but not done to how I wanted it, fixed the bolts for the spare tire. Relocated the fender lights, made me a stainless steel cover to the wood top below the Cook Partner stove.) The tongue box is made but not powder coated. That will come this week, so the pressure will be on to get the final 12V wiring done and rest of the items installed. A bit stressed about that. That said, looking great and happy with what they have done and the quality.
- Took the Jeep to Treadhead Garage in Edmonton. Had them run the 4ga wire, fuse & ignition wire to the rear with an Anderson connector to power the Renogy 30A DC-DC/MPPT Charger that will be in the tongue box.
- Got 75% of the cabinet doors installed. Many thanks to Nova Millwork in Edmonton, amazing job.
- Got the graphics installed on the side of the trailer. Many thanks to General Sign & Service for those as well as making my CNC brackets for the roof rack.
- Prepped the fenders for some DIY Rustoleum Truck Bed Liner. After an1800km round trip to/from BC when we delivered the chassis and picked up the trailer, the fenders already took a beating. May add some checkerplate down the road, but for now I hope the bed liner will suffice.
- Ordered fabric for our custom headboard...a bit of glamping. For fifteen plus years, I have loved Paul Smith designs for Maharam Studio, so we ordered this
- Delivered the fabric to Peppers Upholstery in Edmonton to make us the headboard and some cushions.
- Drilled holes in driver's fender for 11lb propane tank
- Took delivery of our Nebula Capsule Max portable projector along with a 50" Pyle Audio projector screen. YES, we will have a small portable cinema in and out of trailer. I am using super strong earth magnets to hold it all in the trailer as well as Ram Mounts.
- Took delivery of the rest of the bed linens and ordered various other kitchen items we needed.
- Ordered a WeBoost Drive Reach OTR from Costco.ca for the Jeep

What's left
- Install Waterport on roof rack
- Install QuickPitch Ensuite
- Finish Install & test water pump
- Seal holes at bottom of trailer where water filler and water pump lines are
- Cut shelves for cabinets
- Finish install of door/drawer fronts
- Finish 12V wiring in tongue box
- Finish install of propane tank
- Finish Install of LED lights above Cabinets
- Glue in steel plates on top of cabinets where we can have magnetic items
- Install WeBoost in Jeep
- Clean Trailer & Mattress
- Organize Galley
- Install Ram Mount for Projector
- Install magnets for Projection screen
- Finish Window coverings
- Clean portable propane fire pit
- Install 80/20 aluminum channels on top of tongue box
- Install MaxTrax & Pins
- Install jerry can holders

Photos to come soon when I can make them low-res, who would think that a 5mb file would be too big for the forum;)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles