Northern Teardrop Trailer X North 53 Overland - Semi-Custom Northern Teardrop Trailer Build - Alberta, Canada

Timbren

Supporting Sponsor
UPDATE - January 7, 2021

Well found out today that the ordered and received Timbren 3500HD can't accept 5x5 hubs:( I had ordered everything when we had decided to get the Bronco. Now that we got the Jeep, I needed to pivot on the suspension, wheels & hubs. Like many, I wanted the trailer and the Jeep to have the same setup so that I didn't have to add a spare to the Trailer as the Jeep has 5x5 bolt pattern.

In talks with Luke at Timbren today, he gave me some great feedback. I initially contemplated going with non-HD suspension and exchanging what I had, but then the spindles would be less wide and might create issues with my wheels and tires rubbing the trailer. As such, my final decision today is that the trailer and Jeep will run different wheel bolt patterns:( The style will be the same; however the Jeep will run 5x5 and the trailer 6x5.5 and we are now adding a tire carrier to the front to hold the spare. While not quite what I wanted. I appreciate the feedback Timbren today@

Updated Chassis Plan:
View attachment 635819

Trailer wheels are now ordered via Wildcard Offroad in Edmonton.
- Venomrex 17" VR-602, Highland Bronze, 6 x 5.5 w/ 285/70 R17 KO2's
View attachment 635806

Jeep wheels:
- Venomrex 17" VR-501, Highland Bronze, 5 x 5 w/ 285/70 R17 KO2's
View attachment 635807
Awesome looking wheels! Glad we were able to help you out.

Here is a sneak peak of the rendering progress on YouTube. Renderer has issues with the wheels, but for now this will do.

And here are the tail lights I got with sequential turning lights.

Last edited:
Started to detail/design custom flip-up steel steps for each door. With 33" tires + suspension, getting in and out of the trailer will be a bit challenging. Then I found these....https://www.buyersproducts.com/product/retractable-truck-step-777 We will go with whatever is cheaper, but this off-the shelf concept I think is perfect. These are powder coated steel flip-out and stowable steps from Buyers Products. Less than 2.5" thick, they won't drop too far below the chassis when they get welded on. They have a spring latch mechanism to held them in place. A simple but thoughtful concept.

5232000_45_open.jpg 5232000_45_retracted.jpg

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
We've been teardropping for 10 years now and went through several jockey wheels before getting an Ark XO. It's an F22 in a field of Cessnas.

Love this --- might have to order one.
Wish it had a sheath though...

All chef's need a new knife. While I have a nice collection of carbon steel Japanese knives, I decided to stay with stainless for off-road. New Tojiro Ergos Bunka 170mm chef's knife from Knifewear, Edmonton, AB:

View attachment 630865

We've been teardropping for 10 years now and went through several jockey wheels before getting an Ark XO. It's an F22 in a field of Cessnas.

Thanks I ordered my NATO jerry can holders from Kakadu. I looked at that exact jockey wheel, but decided against a wheel at the front for a few reasons. I can always change it down the road. But if I do change I will get that one, love that they have a black version too;)

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Thanks I ordered my NATO jerry can holders from Kakadu. I looked at that exact jockey wheel, but decided against a wheel at the front for a few reasons. I can always change it down the road. But if I do change I will get that one, love that they have a black version too;)
Yeah, my teardrop is significantly heavier than yours will be. I've got a 6x10 with a fully welded skidplate beneath the entire body. Boxed frame as well.
This jockey wheel tracks perfectly on any surface. I got it after wrenching my back trying to move the trailer around in my garage after Country Fried Weekend a few years ago --- the old wheel wouldn't track on my garage floor so I picked up the tongue (~300 pounds).
Ouch.

Your better off with a jeep anyway, depending on what you do. It is a bummer on the wheel pattern though. Guessing you're dead set against a straight axle. I went straight axle begrudgingly thinking the ride would be horrible but it doesnt appear to be too bad. Plus they are very easy to field fix, I bought a spare leaf spring. Good luck with your build, it looks great!

jwiereng

Yep, straight axle works pretty decent. Especially on single axle trailer, lots of freedom to move on the hitch. Plenty of Jeeps and pick ups use straight axle.

Well the day has come. All the chassis parts were dropped off at Innovative Welding in Edmonton today.

Will have progress photos of the chassis every 1-2 days for the next week.

Chassis will be done by end of next week then off to Northern Teardrop Trailer for April 9.

From there it will be there until October. Our actual habitat component won’t start until September.

Can’t wait.

B6B531F4-6348-420F-A5DC-F972F005AFD6.jpeg

4000lbsOfGoat

Thanks I ordered my NATO jerry can holders from Kakadu. I looked at that exact jockey wheel, but decided against a wheel at the front for a few reasons. I can always change it down the road. But if I do change I will get that one, love that they have a black version too
Just another recommendation for the Ark XO! And yeah, they have a black version *now*...they didn't when I got mine...:(

I'm curious what your reasons were for deciding against a jockey wheel? I've found mine to be invaluable.

Just another recommendation for the Ark XO! And yeah, they have a black version *now*...they didn't when I got mine...:(

I'm curious what your reasons were for deciding against a jockey wheel? I've found mine to be invaluable.

The Ark XO is a great looking jockey wheel. I opted against it for a standard flat plate for now as I didn't want the unit to shift when in use. Just felt more comfortable with a flat plate as the unit is so light.

4000lbsOfGoat

What do you expect the trailer to weigh? Mine is 1800# dry and we haven't had any trouble with it shifting in use but the jockey wheel sure is handy for moving it around in the garage or at the campsite. The direction that you can pull\back the trailer into the site isn't always the optimal position for camping.

billiebob

Very cool build, you mention a lot of fabricators I've never heard of, including the guy in Salmo, just 2 hours from my home in Nakusp. I used City Spring to build my axle in 2019 so I could run TJ Rims all around. Enjoying the write ups and learning from you design process too. I have a similar design background from designing commercial kitchens and working with stainless steel fabricators. I often wonder if I build for the travel, or build for the project.

Going to have to take a trip to Salmo.

Very cool build, you mention a lot of fabricators I've never heard of, including the guy in Salmo, just 2 hours from my home in Nakusp. I used City Spring to build my axle in 2019 so I could run TJ Rims all around. Enjoying the write ups and learning from you design process too. I have a similar design background from designing commercial kitchens and working with stainless steel fabricators. I often wonder if I build for the travel, or build for the project.

Going to have to take a trip to Salmo.

I always research to the 9's before pulling any trigger to proceed. That said, Dale with Northern Teardrop Trailers was the only fabricator who was willing to work with me to create something unique. While he could not accommodate 100% of my requests as he needed to be able to still create efficiencies with his other builds, I'd say we got 95% of what we wanted. This process is a result of me wanting to build the best possible product for my wife and I, utilizing skilled fabricators and adding my own touch to things to make it a one of.

What do you expect the trailer to weigh? Mine is 1800# dry and we haven't had any trouble with it shifting in use but the jockey wheel sure is handy for moving it around in the garage or at the campsite. The direction that you can pull\back the trailer into the site isn't always the optimal position for camping.

Fully loaded I expect just over 2000'ish lbs. I have 12 gallon fresh water, the fully welded steel frame, and the battery box that will have four 6V batteries, 2 x 5 gallon NATO gas cans, the 75L fridge/freezer, 180 degree awning, 33" tires, 1 x 33" spare. In the end it could be we go to a jockey wheel but for now, will try it as-is. The best solution is the one that works for you;)

Update, trailer chassis is all welded together and suspension installed. Rear hitch receiver designed to hold a 50CC Vespa and mount. Goes to be powder coated tomorrow and wednesday:)

IMG_0524.jpgIMG_0525.jpgIMG_0526.jpgIMG_0527.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz