Northern Ontario to Inuvik solo ride on now!

zzz150

Adventurer
View attachment 236815View attachment 236816View attachment 236817View attachment 236818View attachment 236819View attachment 236821ok, so far so good, had a thread up in planning forum but on the road now;

2800km in now. spent two nights on superior, beautiful is the only way to describe this shoreline, drove the truck into one spot, look at that fresh shiny waxed paint.. and had a short hike into the 2nd, my backpacking tent is in the shadows on the beach in the 2nd pic. 3rd pic is jackfish bay ghost town.

on the 3rd night found a great little spot down an overgrown rd, a no name lake, looked like ppl went in there to fish, the road wasn't more than 200metres long and opened up to fit a full size truck after 20metres.

just as soon as i got into manitoba it rained pretty heavily, then once it stopped found my way onto some field access roads looking for a spot to camp with no luck, eventually pulled off after winnipeg in a random field, didn't like this place so got up at sunrise and got out of there quick then 75km down the road found a little camp/picnic area and slept a bit more..

found my way up to an awesome spot on the north'ish end of lake winnipeg for the next night, great view. the road did have a couple access points to the lake but there were locals fishing and setup up there.

onto what i thought was going to be a simple ride today, turned out to be a lot of gravel, the moment i came up to the saskatchewan sign the gravel began. some old'ish overflown rivers as shown. saw 6 black bears, the one pictured was likely the largest black bear i've ever seen, i realize the picture doesn't do it justice. it sure wasn't afraid of me and my dog just sitting there. all six were seen within an hr!

my little cooler/fridge from canadian tire for $55 is working well. sleeping in the truck is good, even though tonight i wanted to relax indoors so grabbed a motel.

heading towards slave lake alberta tmrw. my initial plan to race north is off, taking it reasonably slow, i got on the road today at 9am and didn't stop until 9pm, yet only covered about 650km with rough roads and stops.

Attachments

• exp1.jpg
    exp1.jpg
    452.1 KB · Views: 98
  • exp2.jpg
    exp2.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:

zzz150

Adventurer
pics

Attachments

• exp3.jpg
    exp3.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 65
  • exp4.jpg
    exp4.jpg
    437.7 KB · Views: 61
  • exp5.jpg
    exp5.jpg
    327.6 KB · Views: 61
  • exp6.jpg
    exp6.jpg
    410.5 KB · Views: 63
  • exp7.jpg
    exp7.jpg
    440.6 KB · Views: 63

zzz150

Adventurer
more pics

Attachments

• exp8.jpg
    exp8.jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 64
  • exp9.jpg
    exp9.jpg
    378 KB · Views: 67
  • exp10.jpg
    exp10.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 96
  • exp11.jpg
    exp11.jpg
    301.5 KB · Views: 92
  • exp12.jpg
    exp12.jpg
    368.4 KB · Views: 57
  • exp13.jpg
    exp13.jpg
    276.3 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:

Bushcoat

one trail at a time
looking like a good time so far. super envious of your jackfish stay, ive never been up there and dont know where the trail in is but i think i might have an idea. id like to go one day. did you see any old structures remaining from days gone by at the old town site?

zzz150

Adventurer
I will send you the jackfish bay details if you want them, i think there are two ways in, i had to walk down the railway about 3/4km from Where i parked, the road in is good. I saw two old structures, one is collapsed and the other in good shape.

Im now camped at jackfish lake campground in Alberta. Nice quiet well spaced campground with a nice beach. Wolves or coyotes getting really noisy on two sides of me.

Steak is cooking.

zzz150

Adventurer
the steak was delicious! having a camp stove is making things different, in the past 10yrs camping i've never used anything other than the fire or my little msr pocket rocket stove, turns out cooking is a lot quicker now! tonight is pulled pork.. at a nice spot off the road at smoky river ab, right on the river, lucky again.

will cross into bc tmrw and be heading towards watson lake, from there nahanni and canol and dempster roads.

the drive was uneventful today, didn't cover much ground, had some really good ice cream and found gas at only 117.9/litre in athabasca.

one thing worth noting is there are almost no bugs at all in the places i've stopped in alberta, some horse flies yesterday and this morning but not bad, tonight not a thing yet and it's 9:30. a very bright 9:30.

a few pics..

3400km worth of bugs!

my dog enjoying the 7am view above lake winnipeg on long point.

and our gourmet roadside subway, i always get the meatball sub with the meatballs on the side, dog eats the meatballs and i eat the veggie loaded sub.

got a few pics of the prairies, they are exactly what one would expect them to be.

and a pic of where the posting to expeditionportal.com is taking place right now!

i had initially thought i would head straight north at slave lake ab, towards yellowknife, but with all the fires and smoke issues and warnings i have decided to skip this until after yukon, time will tell. i like not having an itinerary to consider.

Attachments

• exp17.jpg
    exp17.jpg
    608.9 KB · Views: 56
  • exp19.jpg
    exp19.jpg
    505.4 KB · Views: 59
  • exp15.jpg
    exp15.jpg
    560.8 KB · Views: 64
  • exp20.jpg
    exp20.jpg
    572.8 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:

Bushcoat

one trail at a time
ill grab the jackfish details later, not going to pester you while you are on your adventure. you can put up a sign in watson lake at the "sign post forest" i put up a makeshift one out of an orange plastic plate 20 or so years back. enjoy the subway while you can, they are scarce up there. i was so happy to find one in ketchikan alaska when we were there 2 yrs ago.

zzz150

Adventurer
ok, not much internet service in the areas i'm enjoying so not much posting. since leaving alberta i've spent a night on the muskwa river, was awesome, ran into another solo traveller from california there. then onto the liard hot springs for a night in the campground, well worth stopping there. then from there onto the nahanni range. fully stocked with food and beer and gas i was ready to go for a night, ended up spending three nights..! found a great cabin that i mentioned in the planning thread, was perfect. ran into some surveyors way near the nahanni national park border, this was up on flat lakes.. in watson lake for the night at the dragon something hotel, not bad and pet friendly, although the wifi is slow as (insert curse word here). exp21.jpgexp22.jpgok less blabbing and more more pics!

Attachments

• exp24.jpg
    exp24.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 42
  • exp25.jpg
    exp25.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 45

zzz150

Adventurer
more pics;

erosion towers(a short hike of the hwy), wildlife, tasty dinner.

Attachments

• exp27.jpg
    exp27.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 36
  • exp28.jpg
    exp28.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 37
  • exp29.jpg
    exp29.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 43
  • exp30.jpg
    exp30.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 35
  • exp31.jpg
    exp31.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 45
  • exp32.jpg
    exp32.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 42

zzz150

Adventurer
ok, nahanni range pics; ***pics are not showing in proper order..

1st pic should be the last pic.... 3rd pic is of the awesome view almost immediately once getting onto the road, 2,4&5 are hyland river campsite pics,(site not in agreement with my pic posting order it seems..) note the bug tent extensions i was so excited about, they work great, only problem is so far there are less bug in the north west than there are in ontario.... we'll see if that changes. a couple more views then at the end of the road, the gated access to the nahanni national park, was told by some ppl setting up a new mining camp that a couple park rangers went in earlier the same day and that the road was in bad condition.. the road wasn't bad by my standards so i went as far as i could. a couple wash outs along the road, all were easily passable, the one pictured 'looked' bad on 1st sight but wasn't and was piled full of sticks from ppl passing through earlier in the day. the road beyond the gate looked to be a path to heaven, all green and nice, wish there was no gate there...

Attachments

• exp37.jpg
    exp37.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 36
  • exp36.jpg
    exp36.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 41
  • exp38.jpg
    exp38.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 40
  • exp40.jpg
    exp40.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 41
  • exp39.jpg
    exp39.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 48
  • exp43.jpg
    exp43.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 54
  • exp42.jpg
    exp42.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 40
  • exp41.jpg
    exp41.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 40
  • exp44.jpg
    exp44.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

zzz150

Adventurer
sorry for tiny not highest quality pics, would like to be posting full sized high quality images but web speed is dictating things, every post has been slow..

Attachments

• exp45.jpg
    exp45.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 39
  • exp46.jpg
    exp46.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

zzz150

Adventurer
more pics up the road toward the national park border, including the cabin i stayed at, yes the lights worked! a little bit of safe exploring usually delivers an interesting reward.

Attachments

• exp49.jpg
    exp49.jpg
    541.7 KB · Views: 43
  • exp48.jpg
    exp48.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 33
  • exp47.jpg
    exp47.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 38
  • exp50.jpg
    exp50.jpg
    560.4 KB · Views: 39
  • exp51.jpg
    exp51.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 36
  • exp52.jpg
    exp52.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 36
  • exp53.jpg
    exp53.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 38

zzz150

Adventurer
for others travelling these routes across northern canada the one suggestion i have is to take every side road that perks your curiosity. the side roads are where i've found all of my sweet camping spots, roads that sometimes actually required a truck with 4x4 yet still being safe and with the greatest views.

Last edited:

andysgreenxj

Observer
This looks like a great place to explore! Thanks for sharing your adventure, Id deffinatlely take that trip, get off the grid for a few days, and unwind...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94