Northern Montana and the Canadian Rockies, August 2015

aaen

Adventurer
If you think Banff is amazing check out Canmore. It's a great little town 30 mins east of Banff along the hwy and is not as touristy (I say that with a grain of salt).

Anyways in behind Canmore is some wonderful gravel roads (forestry trunk road, etc) through the Kananaskis area (can never spell it right), with some wonderful campgrounds and hikes.

Another option is to go through Waiprous and end up behind Lake Minnewanka, although I can't remember if you can get past the river that feeds Lake Minnewanka, we were working on a bid to redo it as it was all damaged After the floods in 2013.. If you go be careful of all the drunk idiots riding on quads and motorbikes back there. It is best to go during the week when they are all in town.

Regards

Steve

Beamer pilot

Explorer
If you think Banff is amazing check out Canmore. It's a great little town 30 mins east of Banff along the hwy and is not as touristy (I say that with a grain of salt).

Anyways in behind Canmore is some wonderful gravel roads (forestry trunk road, etc) through the Kananaskis area (can never spell it right), with some wonderful campgrounds and hikes.

Another option is to go through Waiprous and end up behind Lake Minnewanka, although I can't remember if you can get past the river that feeds Lake Minnewanka, we were working on a bid to redo it as it was all damaged After the floods in 2013.. If you go be careful of all the drunk idiots riding on quads and motorbikes back there. It is best to go during the week when they are all in town.

Regards

Steve

+1 ...but exception to motorbikes...seen many a beer in hand in trucks on side roads...

wreckdiver1321

Overlander

Regards

Steve

We wanted to check out Canmore but we ran short on time. I'd love to explore it a little bit more next time.

I may have more on your tips soon :)

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
We woke up fairly early and packed up our camp in the fairly cold weather. After all our traveling this summer, we have fallen into a rhythm and gotten used to packing up camp, so it happens pretty fast and with minimal communication. Unfortunately, the tent was still wet inside and out from the condensation and rainwater. We packed everything into the truck and hit the road.

I had spent part of the previous day contacting a few people from the Alberta Xterra Enthusiasts club, and we had arranged to meet up in the town of Cochrane, just about an hour east of Banff along the 1A. The original plan was to go south to Crowsnest Pass, but the recent rains would make traveling in the area treacherous. Instead, we planned to meet in Cochrane and head north towards Waiparous before hitting the trails and making our way to Waiparous Falls. Beret and I took in the Rockies foothills as we made our way east before rolling into Cochrane. We met the other guys at the Tim Horton's and made our introductions. We grabbed a couple donuts (awesome, by the way!) and stood around chatting with everyone as we waited for the whole group to arrive. There ended up being two modified Xterras, a relatively stock Xterra, and a pretty heavily modified Frontier. They turned out to be a really cool group of guys. We gassed up across the street before hitting the road west and turning north along the Forestry Trunk Road towards Waiparous Village. Just past Waiparous, we stopped to air down and headed to the falls.

Before long, I got a real taste of four wheeling in Alberta. There was so much muddy water. Deep puddle after deep puddle, then a slippery hill climb up a twisty slope. It was fantastic, and so very different to what I am used to. Here in Montana, most of the wheeling involves slow crawls over granite. Canada feels like it's much more water crossings, mud, and dirt tracks. It was a fun change of pace.

We descended back into the valley and reached the first river crossing. The crossing was fairly deep, but nothing crazy. I hitched a ride in one of the Xterras across the river so I could snap some shots of Beret making the water crossing. Antonio, in the blue Xterra, took the hard route and showed off his very capable rig. It was fun watching everyone tackle the river.

After a couple more winding turns, the trail headed deeper and deeper into the valley. It was such a beautiful place to be. At the end of the valley, a mountain climbed up above the river drainage, dominating the view.

We continued farther up the trail, deeper into the valley. There were several more river crossings to tackle, each even more fun than the last. Getting the chance to splash through the river was a blast. With the dry summer we've had in Montana, we haven't had the chance to go through deep water much this year. So the opportunity to do this was a welcome change.

We worked our way closer to the cliff face, impressed with the wilder parts of Canada's backcountry.

Shortly afterwards, the trail turned to the left and started climbing. From behind the trees appeared a steep and rocky hill climb. Now this was more like what I'm used to! This climb was twisty, steep, and a little loose. It was a great opportunity to give the truck a bit of a workout. We managed the hill with a little spotting from Antonio. It was a lot of fun, and not a single bit of slider contact at all!

A few minutes and several more water crossings after the hill climb, we came to the end of the trail.

From there it was a short hike to the lower end of Waiparous Falls. It was a really beautiful place. Very serene and isolated. It was so cool to get a chance to see this really secluded and less traveled part of the Albertan backcountry.

After hiking to the falls, we ate some lunch and stood around chatting for quite some time. Topics ranged from trucks to travel destinations to work to politics. It was such a cool opportunity to see this place. What was even better though was the total hospitality of the local guys we got the chance to hit the trails with. Guys, I was blown away by your friendliness and your hospitality. It was a great experience, and we had a total blast. It was fun to find out that no matter where you go, people like us can bond through the shared love of the adventure of four wheeling.

But, we had more adventures in store for us, so we reluctantly saddled back up and headed down the trail.

Tim Smith

I check every few days for updates. Really enjoying all of this! I have to say that your trip has inspired us to do a similar one in the near future. It's a trek coming from Ga, but there is no doubt it will be well worth it. Keep it coming, please!

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
I check every few days for updates. Really enjoying all of this! I have to say that your trip has inspired us to do a similar one in the near future. It's a trek coming from Ga, but there is no doubt it will be well worth it. Keep it coming, please!

Hey thanks for tuning in!

That is certainly a long way, but you're right, it would be completely worth it. The Canadian Rockies are awesome. It's really difficult to describe just how enthralling the area is.

More updates coming ASAP!

Hey that's me (Chad)! That was actually my first time out and I was kind of ****ting bricks a few times with no skid plates/sliders. You're welcome back here any time!

Hey Chad!

Haha I could see you were a bit nervous. When you're on 265s and with no armor, your mind tends to work overtime so you don't do any damage. Trust me, I've been there! You did great though. You kept your head and made it over everything. You can kind of see now why sliders and skids are a good investment. Especially if you have a low parking area and can't lift your truck. :D

These rigs, especially the Xterras, are very capable even in stock form and can tackle most things you throw at them. Just got to get to know the limitations and capabilities. Once you get really good at judging the terrain and your truck's ability, it will come much easier.

Oh trust me, I'll be back!

High Center

Adventurer
Expedition Portal sets a high bar for the word "stunning" as it relates to landscape photography. You....have exceeded that bar. Beautiful beyond my ability to describe. Thanks for having us along.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Expedition Portal sets a high bar for the word "stunning" as it relates to landscape photography. You....have exceeded that bar. Beautiful beyond my ability to describe. Thanks for having us along.

Thank you! To be honest though, in landscapes like that, I could probably shoot with my eyes closed. :D

aaen

Adventurer
Damn this is like my own personal requests thread. Hmm what's next to request haha. Keep up the good work mate, I'm in the process of upgrading my tundra, although I think I may wait and buy a Tacoma in the new year when the new one start getting the bugs worked out if any exist.

Regards

Steve

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Eventually, we managed to tear ourselves away from this pretty place and make our way back down. The route down was pretty easy but still a lot of fun. The trail had dried up a little bit, but it was still fun to splash through the puddles and river crossings. We used the CBs to chat to each other on the way down. Our conversation ranged from American and Canadian TV to why America doesn't have cool potato chip flavors. We had to get out of the way of a couple people heading the opposite direction at one point, but otherwise it was uneventful.

We eventually made it back to the parking lot and started airing the tires back up. We stood around and chatted for a while, and I noticed my serpentine belt was making a little chirping noise. It wasn't much though, so I wasn't too worried considering the water and mud we had just driven through. By now, Lola was nice and coated in a good layer of Alberta mud.

We talked about our route ahead. The guys were all going to head home, but Beret and I were pushing north. When I started doing route research for this trip, the one route that kept popping up was Alberta Highway 40, also known as the Forestry Trunk Road. The Trunk Road is a 1000 km stretch of mostly dirt road running it's way from Crowsnest Pass in the south to Grande Prairie in the north. I had been told it is the best pure overland route through Alberta. It snakes through the wilder and less touristy lands of the Rockies foothills. And I was brimming with excitement for this fantastic drive.

We checked our Backroads Mapbook got some good information from the guys about our upcoming route. Per their recommendation, I only aired back up to 28 psi in anticipation of the coming washboards and gravel. We decided that running from Waiparous up to Nordegg was doable in the time we had available, as it was 5:30 PM at this point. They had to deal with a minor mechanical issue, but urged me to continue on. So I emptied my jerry can into the tank and set off. Guys, you were awesome. I'll never forget what you did and how hospitable you were through the whole thing. Thank you!

We turned north on the Trunk Road and I was immediately awestruck. This route truly is a pure overland route. Miles and miles of backcountry highway, very few people, beautiful, wild scenery, wildlife, and some good Alberta history. It's an overlander's playground. This really is a road of roads.

At 28 psi, Lola absorbed the bumps admirably. But the sun was setting, and we had some ground to make up in order to reach Nordegg before night was completely upon us.

As we approached the end of this leg of the Trunk Road, I noticed my brakes grinding a bit when I was nearly stopped. I figured it was just mud or rocks and didn't think much of it. We pulled into Nordegg at around 9:00 PM and hastily set up camp. We tried in vain to find a slip to pay for our campsite, but we eventually gave up and decided we would just pay for the site in the morning. As Beret cooked burgers on the stove, I set the tent up. To my dismay, this revealed that the tent was still dripping wet from the 36 straight hours of rain we had been graced with in Banff. I got everything set up with the windows open wide, hoping it would dry out. It didn't. We ate dinner and contemplated our night. I was fairly concerned about the tent being as wet as it was, and I hoped the night would be kind to us. Before long, we cleaned up and decided to head to bed. That night in Nordegg was bitterly cold. Colder than I had expected, and with our tent being soaked, it wasn't insulating at all.

I was just about to drift off when I heard a car approach. The door opened and I heard an old man's voice. The campground manager had come to talk to us about the site. He profusely apologized for not having any pay slips out, and asked if we could handle it then and there. I obliged, and he seemed pretty grateful. He even shared with me some good local information about places to go and things to see, which I sadly never got to use. We parted ways happy, and I crawled into bed, ready for sleep.

We had been well prepared for the cold nights up in Canada, but this night hit us harder than we expected. I woke up that morning cold. Not unbearably cold, but cold. The weather was supposed to remain good for that day, but it was due to rain the next day, so the temps weren't getting any better. But I figured I could tough it out. Strike one.

We got some breakfast in us and I fueled up in Nordegg. I got back to camp and helped Beret get everything packed up for our second day on the Trunk Road. I double-checked my maps, checked the tires, and we headed north once more.

About an hour into the drive, we came upon a side road that I had originally planned to take. As it turned out, that road was closed because a portion of it had been washed away. Had I been with another vehicle, I would have felt interested in pushing through, but being just us, we decided to pass. Out came the Backroads Mapbook. It guided us north to an intersection. We misread our position and thought we were off course. So we backtracked and found out we weren't really that off course, so we backtracked our backtrack and came to the intersection once more. We read the map and found where we thought we were. Some local guys in a Land Rover Discovery I were having a snack on the side of the road, so I decided to go ask them if we were headed in the right direction. It turned out we were, so we pushed on.

Shortly afterwards, the road got huge. It had widened to the width of a four-lane highway. Not long after, we discovered why. Huge dump trucks and massive pieces of mining and logging equipment cruised past several times, their tires alone dwarfing Lola's roof racks. It was pretty cool to see. We were in a hurry to get to Jasper, so I apologize here for not pulling out my camera as much as I should have.

We passed much of the mining activity and continued our way north. We pushed past the tiny town of Cadomin and found ourselves in an area with far fewer trees. That eventually opened up to rolling hills and a massive mining operation. It was really cool to see, and it only reinforced the whole "overland" aura of the place. We passed the mining operation and found our way to a tunnel. Strolling casually through the tunnel was a Bighorn Sheep, known as a Rocky Mountain Sheep up here. We slowly followed it through. When we emerged from the tunnel, we came upon a nice guy in a Dodge truck watching the sheep graze on the road. He was a curious guy, and asked us a bunch of questions about our trip.

We chatted a short while before continuing on our way to the north. It wasn't long before we reached a paved highway and aired the tires back up. About 40 minutes later we found ourselves in the city of Hinton. The plan was to gas up here and go into Jasper. We pulled into the station and waited for a pump. I gassed up, and Beret went in to pay.

Unfortunately, despite us calling our credit card companies and telling them we were, in fact, headed to Canada and they shouldn't worry about any charges up north, they apparently didn't take that to heart. Or there was a problem with areas outside the parks in Canada. Either way, our cards got declined. Beret had to call her card provider and get it straightened out so we could pay. She eventually did, but we weren't very trusting of our cards at that point. We started to feel uneasy. Strike two.

After filling up in Hinton, we made our way into Jasper National Park. Jasper is a land of unparalleled beauty. The mountains and lakes are very impressive, and Beret and I were eager to explore it. Not long after entering the park we crossed paths with this enormous bull elk grazing just off the road.

Beret and I were discussing our options as we rolled towards Jasper. We were feeling a bit discouraged, as our money source was now questionable, we knew the next couple nights would be very cold, and our time and food was limited. But, we decided to soldier through and check out Jasper. The town itself is quite a cool place. It's not quite as cosmopolitan as Banff, but very pretty and well cared for. We stopped to check in at the tourism office, and we were very disappointed at what we saw.

The views were almost totally obscured. The fires burning down in Glacier and Waterton Lakes were pushing huge clouds of smoke as far north as Jasper, which had decimated the view. Strike three.

Beret and I had a little chat. We were a little unsure of whether we would be able to pay for things, we knew it was going to be quite cold once more, and we couldn't see any of the views we came to see. We were gutted, but we knew that going back south to Montana was the right thing to do. I was really sad about our decision, but it didn't make sense at that point for us to keep going. We had just enough Canadian cash to get us back to the border, and enough time to make it to Montana before it got too late. So we made our plan and left Jasper behind.

I am still sad we didn't get a chance to see Jasper, but we have already decided to return as soon as next year.

The drive down was exciting. After an hour heading south from Jasper, we found ourselves on the massive and dominating Icefields Parkway. The landscape rose up around us and astonished us as we continued onward. The Parkway is surrounded by huge mountains and flowing glaciers. Even through the thick smoke, it is an amazing sight to see. Sadly, our time and distance crunch demanded our attention, and we didn't even stop for a photo. I am truly gutted at this, but at the time it was the right thing to do. We are determined to go back next year though. We drove straight through to Lake Lousie, where we filled up and continued on our way. We headed back through Kootenay National Park to Radium, where we filled up one final time before making our push to the border north of Eureka. We also stopped at a local grocery store to stock up on ketchup chips before we left :D

The drive was serene. Despite the smoke, Canada still managed to awe us with it's awesome beauty. We were sad to leave it.

Now let me tell you about the moment I earned the right to call myself an overlander forever. We hit the border at about 10 PM. It was fairly deserted and had very few cars, so there wasn't much of a wait in line. We pulled up to the booth to the amazed looks of the border patrol agents. They looked at Lola, in shock at her appearance, still caked in mud from Alberta's back roads. The agent looked at my truck and said, "Holy *******. Where have you been?" We told him we had been exploring Alberta and BC. He looked at me and said, "Sorry, we can't let you in."
"Seriously?"
"Yeah, seriously. The dirt and mud up there has things we don't really want. So I'm gonna have to send you back to Canada to wash your truck. Head right over that way, please."

I had just been denied entry to a country because my truck was too dirty.

We got some information that the duty free shop on the Canada side had a pressure washer he let people use. So We went over there to use it. No one was around, so we pulled up and decided to hose the truck off. As it turns out, the "pressure washer" was a sprayer attachment on a garden hose. The store owner came out and asked us what we were doing. We offered to pay him $5 to use his hose, and he gladly accepted. We then spent the next 45 minutes hosing off the truck. We had to pull out a wash cloth and scrub with it, and that was left behind in Canada. So you're welcome weary travelers. If you come upon a dirty washcloth at the duty free shop north of Eureka you need to use, that was us.

We pulled back up to the border, the agent took a cursory glance at Lola, and waved us through. We were back on American soil.

aaen

Adventurer
Sorry to hear you had to cut the trip short. I have a permanent filing in my credit card to not lock it down but to call me. I had them shut my entire banking down (credit cards, bank cards, and freeze my acct) while I was living/working in Western Africa due to suspected fraudulent activity. That was not a fun experience trying to get it reactive tee and all they keep saying is swing into your local branch and we will remove the security lockdown.

Well done and a great write up. Looking forward to reading about your next trip!!

Regards

Steve

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Sorry to hear you had to cut the trip short. I have a permanent filing in my credit card to not lock it down but to call me. I had them shut my entire banking down (credit cards, bank cards, and freeze my acct) while I was living/working in Western Africa due to suspected fraudulent activity. That was not a fun experience trying to get it reactive tee and all they keep saying is swing into your local branch and we will remove the security lockdown.

Well done and a great write up. Looking forward to reading about your next trip!!

Regards

Steve

Thanks man!

Yeah it was a pain. I'll have to remember to let my card companies know to do that. I don't want a repeat incident.

There's more to come actually, so stay tuned!

RedDog

Explorer
Great stuff! Glad you liked Alberta. I like Montana as well. We're both blessed. The first photos of Moraine Lake is the scene on the back of the old $20 bill. I've crawled around the slope with money in hand trying to get the identical shot.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Briefly after crossing back into Montana, we stopped to fill up in Eureka. The air was still filled with smoke and we had a ways to go, but we were glad for the 75 mph speed limits. The night felt thick and heavy. As we wound our way towards Kalispell, we saw fires burning on the horizons as my Hellas strained to cut through the smoke. We stopped for some food in Kalispell and went straight at my mom and dad's house. Highway 83, as always, was full of deer surrounding the road. Luckily, we made it through unscathed and were able to get to bed before 1:30 AM. Not bad!

The next day was spent relaxing. Honestly, we didn't do much of anything at all. I took a little time to clean the truck a bit. I was noticing the brake grinding a bit more and the chirp from the belt some more. Other than that, this day was uneventful.

The next day we had originally planned to drive up to Glacier again, so we drove north for a couple hours. Much to our dismay, the smoke never cleared up as we kept moving. We gave it some thought, and decided to go walk around in Bigfork for a while. Bigfork is a cool little town on the edge of Flathead Lake that oozes charm. It's got a lot of little shops and restaurants to check out. We did a little window shopping and ended up eating a fantastic barbecue lunch at Grille 459. I had a burger topped with brisket AND pulled pork! It was delicious.

After Bigfork, we decided we didn't enough time in the charming town of Whitefish. We spent a couple hours walking around and seeing what there is to see in town, before going to the weekly farmer's market, which was a blast. I got the chance to do a little bit more candid photography.

It was so fun. There was really a sense of community here. Lots of colorful foods on display, people showing off their artworks, and people just milling around. It was a cool atmosphere.

We got a delicious stone-fired pizza from a cart there. I love when pizza is done just right!

After that, it was starting to get darker, so we called it a day and went back down to Seeley Lake.

The next day, we decided to take a little ghost town tour. Not far down the road from my parent's place is a dirt road. Follow the road long enough, and you reach the amazingly well-preserved ghost town of Garnet. At about 6,000 feet in elevation, the town of Garnet was originally started in the mid 1860's and was built on the Garnet Lode, which was a rich vein of gold. The town continued to boom through the 1890's, and at it's height boasted 1,000 residents, 13 saloons and restaurants, a barber, a mercantile shop, and three hotels, as well as several homes. About 20 years later, the gold ran out and the town was abandoned. By the time it was abandoned in 1917, the town had extracted nearly one million dollar's worth of gold.

Garnet is located along the 30-ish mile easy overland route called Garnet Ridge Road, and is beautifully preserved. It's a pretty good tourist spot, and for good reason. This town is fascinating.

It's absolutely remarkable how well taken care of the town is. They have artifacts from all over the town, and plenty of signs to read that give you some fantastic information about the town and it's former residents.

The general store was full of old artifacts.

There was so much of the old town to see.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior