Northern Montana and the Canadian Rockies, August 2015

unkamonkey

Explorer
Nice pictures and a good report so far.
National park passes are good things to have if you are going to spend any time in them. I used to work in Kremmling and drive across Trail Ridge Road twice a week. Um, $6.00 a trip or $64.00 for the whole year? It also worked at Lake Powell. I made so many trips through the entrence station they recognized me and just waved me through on the motorcycle.

vicali

Adventurer
They put fences in the parks and even built wildlife bridges.. Lucky park animals.. Actually the Coquihalla in the interior is the same- keep the fast cars away from the slow animals..
Ps grew up in Cranbrook, so those pics look familiar.

Topgun514

Adventurer
I did this trip just days before you, only leaving from SLC, UT and camping outside of Kalispell on some national forest roads before 4 days in Banff/ LL area. The forest fires were intense up by Flathead Lake but the scenery was the best I have ever seen. Banff area (up to Peyto/ Bow Falls) blows Glacier NP out of the water in my opinion. The mountain ranges, glaciers, snow that fell, all were stunning. Looks like you had a blast!

Border crossings were the easiest, even with telling the agent we had food and veggies.

rickashay

Explorer
Just saw you posted this! Don't have time now but excited for future reading and gawking. The photos look excellent!

aaen

Adventurer
More please. Makes me miss my old stomping grounds! The SE BC area is spectacularly beautiful.

Regards

Steve

I suffer from fat finger syndrome and a tiny keyboard on an iPhone. So I apologize for the typos and misspellings.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Those are some beautiful pictures, thanks for sharing!

Thanks! It was a blast!

Epic photos! Thanks for sharing...I really hope to at some point in my lifetime be able to travel more beautiful country... :drool:

Thank you! The Rockies are stunning when you get a chance to see them. I'm very partial to their northern sections. Montana, Wyoming, Alberta. Fantastic stuff.

Nice pictures and a good report so far.
National park passes are good things to have if you are going to spend any time in them. I used to work in Kremmling and drive across Trail Ridge Road twice a week. Um, $6.00 a trip or $64.00 for the whole year? It also worked at Lake Powell. I made so many trips through the entrence station they recognized me and just waved me through on the motorcycle.

Yeah Parks Canada has a pretty sweet setup. Get a pass and go everywhere. I like it, even for the higher cost.

They put fences in the parks and even built wildlife bridges.. Lucky park animals.. Actually the Coquihalla in the interior is the same- keep the fast cars away from the slow animals..
Ps grew up in Cranbrook, so those pics look familiar.

We'd love to see more of Cranbrook and Calgary etc. We've fallen in love with Alberta.

I did this trip just days before you, only leaving from SLC, UT and camping outside of Kalispell on some national forest roads before 4 days in Banff/ LL area. The forest fires were intense up by Flathead Lake but the scenery was the best I have ever seen. Banff area (up to Peyto/ Bow Falls) blows Glacier NP out of the water in my opinion. The mountain ranges, glaciers, snow that fell, all were stunning. Looks like you had a blast!

Border crossings were the easiest, even with telling the agent we had food and veggies.

Did you make it closer to Jasper? I think the scenery up that way is even better. Jasper is PHENOMENAL. We had a great time!

This looks like a great trip!!!! Thx for the pics and the daydreams :)!!!

It was! Thanks for reading! More to come as soon as possible.

A truly great trip report. Keep it coming!

Thanks! Trust me, more is coming. :)

Just saw you posted this! Don't have time now but excited for future reading and gawking. The photos look excellent!

Hey Addison! Glad to have you looking. You live in a very special part of the world, one that I am not even close to finished exploring.

Great photos and info - keep it going!

Thanks! Working on getting the next phase of the report up. My laptop had a bit of a catastrophic failure. Waiting on a new computer so I can finish editing and continue my report.

More please. Makes me miss my old stomping grounds! The SE BC area is spectacularly beautiful.

Regards

Steve

Hey Steve, thanks for looking! More to come.

aaen

Adventurer
Don't fall to in love with Alberta. Montana is a much nicer spot if you ask me has the best of both BC/AB rolled into one. Idaho is pretty dang awesome too.

Living on Vancouver Island now, I don't get out as much as I would like to anymore exploring the back roads. The roads here are controlled by the logging companies and they pretty much shut access to them all down. Well when I can go it seems.

Keep up the great work, loving reading your blog on Lola as well, has me debating going back to a Tacoma and get away from the tundra so I can access a few areas I want to.

Regards

Steve

ASDTANK

This just made my morning at work that much more bearable! anxiously waiting the update for the rest of the trip.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Right, sorry for the delay guys, but I am finally back online. I got myself set up with a sweet new computer and I'm ready to get back to the trip report!

Banff is a wondrous place. The surrounding mountains are fantastic, the weather is nice, the people are great, and the city is phenomenal. When i was doing research for the trip, I read that Banff should not be missed. I knew going in that Banff was a mountain town rich in charm and full of the tourism industry. However, I had never actually seen any photos of Banff. When we pulled in, I was astonished. I had expected it to be similar to touristy mountain towns of northwest Montana, places like Phillipsburg, Bigfork, or Whitefish. I was very, very wrong.

When I was sixteen, I had the great fortune of taking a trip to Europe. Some of the most memorable places I went on that trip were in Switzerland. The cities of Bern and Lucerne were vibrant and rich social centers, full of both old world charm and modern European style while being surrounded by breathtaking scenery. Banff felt exactly like walking down the street in one of these Swiss cities. The vibe there is very interesting. It's not a large city, but it is sleek, clean, modern, and very walkable. At the same time, the people living and working there are some of the nicest I've met, but almost none of them were actually Canadians. I met people from Australia, France, Germany, the US, China, the UK, South Africa, and Italy. It's a real melting pot.

We found a nicely located and totally free (!) parking garage not far into town and found a place to park. We happened to find a spot next to this beauty.

This would be the first of many, many Delicas we would run across during our trek through Canada.

We got unbelievably lucky with timing our entry into Banff. We hid our valuables, locked the truck up tight, and left the garage. We walked about a block, rounded a corner, and found out we had arrived at the height of a farmer's market taking place at a local parking lot.

The market was full of locals, not tourists. Local artists and shopkeepers were out selling their wares alongside produce growers. It was a fantastic thing to see firsthand, and a great welcome to this exceptional small town. A traveler's dream.

We spent a little while perusing the market. We got some local produce and Beret bought some tea. We met a few great locals and had a great time. Afterwards, we hit the streets and started exploring what would very soon become one of our favorite cities of all time. There were a few street performers there that were quite photogenic.

We almost instantly fell in love with Banff. It is a truly worldly city. A vibrant place full of culture and history. The city has a vibe that is unique among all the places I've been. It's as though the city was plucked from it's original location in the Swiss Alps and placed in the fantastic landscape that is uniquely North American. It's an inspiring place. There are people from all corners of the globe working and vacationing in Banff, and it's made the town a very cosmopolitan place. There are endless little shops to gawk through windows at, kitschy trinket stores, coffee shops, and wonderful eateries.

We spent a few hours falling in love with Banff before we took off towards the sights of Lake Louise. The sun was starting to go down, and I knew it would be a great opportunity to shoot some photos of the lake in gorgeous evening light. The drive north along the Trans Canada Highway towards the lake is amazing. The powder blue Bow River snakes its way along the valley floor, framed by the unique and imposing peaks of the Canadian Rockies. What I didn't know at the time was I was in the not so scenic part of the valley!

We turned off the highway and headed off towards Lake Lousie. Just off the highway, there is a small village square with several little shops full of trinkets, a couple restaurants, and an awesome little grocery store. We passed the village and drove up the hill towards the lake. The road is lined with a couple campgrounds and picnic areas, a few places to stay, and a company that rents out charming little cabins to stay in. We rounded a bend and were met with the sight of the rather large and impressive Fairmont Chateau at Lake Louise. This large and classically styled hotel does a great job at convincing you that you actually are at a resort in the French Alps. The view of the lake is pretty impressive too.

We sat at the lakeshore and drank in the sunset for a little while. But unfortunately it was getting late and we hadn't found a place to camp yet. So we reluctantly left the lake and stopped by the grocery store for a couple things. Then we hit the Bow Valley Parkway and tried to find an open spot to camp. We drove around for a good hour and a half, stopping at three or four different campgrounds without success. Finally, we headed back towards Banff and stopped at the Two Jack Main Campground and lucked out. They had an open spot and we were finally able to set up camp and get some dinner down at 11:30 PM.

The Oztent went up quickly and easily and we crawled into bed with full stomachs. I finally got a chance to try out something I picked up before the trip. I saw a little flash drive at work that had a USB connection on one end and a micro USB on the other. I was able to fill it with recorded TV shows, plug it into my phone, and have some episodes of Cheers to fall asleep to at night. Pretty cushy, I know. But hey, it's overlanding. It wouldn't be right if it wasn't a little over the top, would it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz