Northern Explorer's 2015 TRD Off Road Tacoma

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
Sweet! Staying with the Four Wheel Camper? If not, I know someone taking donations. ; )

Sweet! Staying with the Four Wheel Camper? If not, I know someone taking donations. ; )

Yes, and that was one of the major influences on choosing the Tacoma over the competition. The 20.9 inch bed depth on the new Colorado would have required me build a 3 to 4 inch platform to sit the FWC on in order to clear not only the body of the camper but also the water drain plug. Four Wheel Campers now puts the water tank in a different location so anybody with a new camper would still have to build a platform but not as high. For comparison my 2005 Colorado has a bed height of 18.5 inches and the 2015 Tacoma has a bed height of 18 inches. I also would have had to relocate the AM/FM antenna on the new Colorado because it would have sat right underneath the cabover.

Tires

Tires (or should I say tyres) are never an easy decision but at least a had it quickly narrowed down to two sizes. I was either going to go with 255/85r16 or 235/85r16. These were my parameters.

1. Keep the stock rims. I just didn't want to have to buy new ones if I didn't have to. Either tire would have worked with the rims that came with the truck.
2. No fender trimming. The truck is almost new and I didn't want to take a hatchet to it. I MAY have gotten away with no trimming with the stock rims with the 255/85r16's but I knew for sure I would not have to trim with the 235/85r16's.
3. Keep factory gearing. It seems like about 50% of the people out there with 255/85r16's feel the need to regear. I regeared my Chevy Colorado. It was expensive and I would rather spend my money on other upgrades at this time.
4. Maintain fuel economy. Any increase in tire size and weight will start to cut into the MPG's. The 235/85r16's should be just slightly less worse.
5. Full size spare tire. The 235/85r16 will fit without modification.
6. E rated. I feel more comfortable with the weight of the camper with an E rated tire and the extra (10) plys should make the tire more puncture resistant. Both tire sizes are made as E rated.

After taking everything into consideration I decided to go with the biggest 235/85r16 tire I could find. Mathematically the 235/85r16 should measure 31.7 x 9.3 inches. I decided to go with the Toyo Open Country M/T's. These tires measure a full 32 x 9.4 inches. The drawback is that they are also about the heaviest tire of this size weighing in at 52 pounds. All things being relative, they weigh 2 pounds less than the 265/75r16 (31.8 x 10.5) BF Goodrich All Terrain KO's that I had grown accustom to on my Chevy Colorado.

[URL=http://s983.photobucket.com/user/NorthernExplorer2/media/2015%20Tacoma/235%2085%20r%2016.jpg.html] [/URL]
And I think they look good. :)

Up next...mild lift, camper mounting and a few odds and ends.

Last edited:
Mud Flaps

I also took the mud flaps off. I think the tires would have fit with them on. I just haven't had any luck with hard plastic mud flaps. I may put some back on if a can find a shorter/more flexible mud flap that looks half way decent.

justrom

Adventurer
I put Husky front flaps on my '13. A couple inches shorter than the stock ones and bolted straight on with no modification. They're about as rigid as stock, but the shorter length stopped them from dragging over every speed bump...

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
I also took the mud flaps off. I think the tires would have fit with them on. I just haven't had any luck with hard plastic mud flaps. I may put some back on if a can find a shorter/more flexible mud flap that looks half way decent.

Put the mudflaps on Ebay. Its ridiculous what you can get for them!

Why did you decide to go MT? I would have went with that "in-between" Open Country RT had I known they were coming out a couple months after I bought. I have to say, I have been quite happy with the ATs though.

Looking good Jason!

It's the little things that mean so much

1 inch seat lift from 4Crawler Offroad Products
Better, more comfortable driving position in my opinion.
seat lift kit.jpgseat lift kit installed.jpg

Mirror riser from BirdDawg Industries
Mirror is now out of my line of sight. It came with the RAM ball mount but I don't have that installed at this time.
Mirror Risor.jpgMirror risor installed.jpg

Weathertech Floor Mats
I like the ones I have in my Colorado. Decided on grey this time. Just in the front.
Weather tech floor mats.jpg

Center Console Organizer
I could see that area becoming a black hole without this.
center console organizer.jpg

And last....I switched out my headrests. The ones that were in the front (like so many other new vehicles these day) gave me a neck/headache. The amount it leaned forward was torture on even short drives. The ones from the back fit good and the problem is solved.
headrest.jpg

Last edited:
Firestone Ride-Rite airbags...check
Daystar airbag cradles...check
Camper mount and wiring job...check
Giant branch across my roof and hood...check
IMG_3468.jpg
and double check
IMG_3454.jpg

I'll know in a day or two if it's totaled. The adjuster said something about damage to the firewall that cannot be fixed. So at this time I will be surprised if it's salvageable. The truck concerns me less than the camper. The camper roof has a hole in it and the underlining roof framing is bent a little. FWC needs to have the camper in their shop in California to do the repair.

T2cr

Oh, man. Bummer. Sorry this happened to you. I have the exact same truck. Hope you find a replacement soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles