Northern Colorado, July 2010

4Rocker

Observer
Since last spring, my dad and I have been planning on a trip out west to do some offroading and sight seeing. It was decided that northern Colorado could offer plenty of trails and destinations to enjoy and meet our goal of getting out in the wild and away from the confines of a schedule.

The trip began with a 16 hour drive from my apartment in WV to Winona, MN to my parent's house to pick up my dad and load the remaining gear that I had not already packed. Over the following two days, we made our way out to Fort Collins, CO where we stopped at the local ranger station to get maps and check on trail availibility. We set up camp that night at a campground on highway 14 west of Ft Collins.

Day 1: We began the trip with Old Flowers Road (FS 152). This was an easy trail but was very scenic and was a great way to break into trail driving after days of nothing but highway driving. The trail was not technically challenging, but dips and the occasional mud puddle made paying attention to the trail important. The road offered scenic views and passes by at least one old cabin.

P7190062.jpg

Next, we tackled Moody Hill (FS 513). I would call this a moderate trail, as it begins with a very steep and rocky climb up the mountain. At one point, the rear locker was necessary to get over a twisty shelf. The remainder of the trail is scenic and includes some great views of a nearby valley.

P7190064.jpg

The final trail of the day summited Crystal Mountain (FS ???). This was a very difficult trail with many large rocks and ledges. The trail began with a series of ledges and rock surfaces to climb, and continues steeply up the hill.

P7190081.jpg

Towards the top of the mountain there is a long and steep climb to the summit that is covered in loose rocks. Care needed to be taken to keep momentum and avoid slipping on the loose rock. The mountain earns its name from the large patches of quartz and mica that are exposed at the top. A short climb to the top of a rock allowed for some spectacular views from the highest point on the mountain. After carefully descending the trail, we found a campsite off the trail in the forest.

P7190068.jpg

P7190086.jpg

Day 2: The next day we continued exploring service roads in the area. We drove a loop consisting of FS 259/263 that was easy and scenic. We then continued down the road and drove FS 142. This trail looked good on the map, but in reality was a very narrow trail with many tight pine trees. By the end of the loop, my floor was quite full of pine needles that had been knocked into the car. I think about 90% of the entire trip's pinstriping came from this trail.

Once out of the pines, we drove a trail marked as FS 517. This ended up being an excellent but difficult trail. Most of the trail was a long, continuous rock crawl with many large rocks that required constant attention and careful driving. The only vehicles we saw on this trail were a couple ATVs that looked quite surprised to see us that far along the trail.

P7200091.jpg

A few miles in, there was an offshoot to the left that looked like an challenging hill climb, so we drove it and ended up on top of a small field near a peak with some great views. The weather looked about ready to downpour, so we drove back down and continued on with the remainder of the trail. We continued down FS 173, an easy gravel trail, and made camp for the night.

P7200096.jpg

Day 3: We continued west to the North Sand Dunes area north of Walden. The dunes were formed by sand depositing from the wind at the base of the mountain range. The dunes are open to trucks and ATVs and were an absolute blast to drive. Because we were there mid-week, there was no one else in the area save for 4 ATVs that we only saw once.

P7210114.jpg

P7210122.jpg

We drove the dunes for a few hours, and during that time we were driving an ATV trail near the fringe of the sand and in trying to get back to the main area, drove across a narrow ridge of sand leading to a hill up to the open area. While crossing the narrow ridge, the truck began sliding to one side, and I had to stop before the truck got any more sideways.

P7210126.jpg

After a bit of shoveling and an analysis of the situation, we decided that the best option would be to winch to get back on top of the sand. We ran a winchline off to the side to get the truck back on the ridge, and then reset the line straight ahead (almost at the limit of the cable) to pull the truck forward and up onto the sand where it was able to drive to the top of the hill on its own power.

P7210125.jpg

P7210130.jpg

We drove around a bit more, aired back up, and continued on over Rabbit Ear Pass to Steamboat Springs and north to the Steamboat Lake/ Hahn's Peak area for the night.

P7210132.jpg

...Continued in part 2.

4Rocker

Observer
Day 4: After a night of storms and lightning, we set out up FS 490 towards Hahn's Peak. This mountain was formed volcanically and the entire top of the mountain is covered in loose, porous rock. It was named after Joseph Hahn, a prospector who discovered gold in the area in the 1860s. During a very harsh winter, supplies ran out and he attempted to snowshoe over 100 miles to the town of Empire but died of starvation along the way. The area was heavily mined in the following years.

P7220015.jpg

We started up the trail and soon were surrounded by hundreds of free range sheep! Once the FJ had waded through the sea of sheep, we continued onward along the trail and up the mountain. After navigating a few intersections and driving a series of narrow, switch-backed mining roads, we had driven as far as the trail would take us, but this was only about 2/3 up the mountain. From here, we began climbing cross country up the side of the mountain on foot. The climb was extremely loose and steep and care had to be taken not to start rocks rolling down hill. A few hundred feet later, we had reached the summit.

P7220004.jpg

P7220007.jpg

At the top (roughly 11,800ft), there is a small structure that we later learned was a fire lookout station. We also later learned that the occasional wooden pole with steel wires near the top were for an old telephone system at one point. After enjoying the view for a bit, we decided that hiking down the back side of the mountain would be safer than trying to descend the steep rocky side that we had climbed. During the winding hike down, we passed the remains of a few cabins and mines.

P7220012.jpg

P7220013.jpg

Once we had made our way back to the FJ after hiking a series of trails and bouldering across a rock field, we drove back down the hill and through Hahn's Peak Village. Many of the cabins in the area were originals and are still lived in today.
Once through the village, we drove FS 409 up to nearby Farwell Mountain. The first half of this trail wound through valleys to the base of the mountain and was very muddy with many ruts and deep potholes along the way. After climbing into the trees and passing a few mines, the trail became quite steep with many large rocks along the way. At the top of the mountain, we enjoyed the overlook, took a few photos, and quickly began making our way back down to camp as weather began to roll in.

P7220017.jpg

Day 5: This was an easy day driving from the Hahn's Peak area down through Steamboat Springs and Granby. We drove FS 121, which was a nice easy trail, and camped at a site in the national forest. Parts of the trail were being heavily logged, most likely due to harmful bark beetles.

P7230018.jpg

Day 6: We drove down to the town of Empire, which was a mining boom town back in the 1860s. From Empire, we drove FS183.1 past the old Conqueror mine up to Bill Moore Lake.

P7240020.jpg

This was certainly a difficult trail with many deep ruts, loose rocks, and one very tough hill climb that consisted of many holes that alternated sides of the trail from people who have spun tires up the hill. Both the locker and ATRAC were needed for this section, and even then we barely made it up the hardest line due to the terrain (there is an easier bypass available). After driving some steep and narrow sections and passing some snow, we made it to the lake, which was very scenic.

P7240026.jpg

There were a few ATVs and a number of large Jeeps that had arrived at the trail's end before us. On the way back from the lake, we passed the only other FJ that we saw on the trails the entire trip.
Rather than follow the same trail all the way back down to Empire, we broke off about halfway onto FS 171.3 to drive the Empire Loop trail. This was also a very difficult trail with many large rocks and tight trees.

P7240028.jpg

We threaded the needle through the trees and eventually arrived at the luxurious Empire Hilton. This is an original cabin that is now owned by the forest service, but visitors are allowed to stay at the cabin on a first come/first serve basis. After signing the guestbook, we explored the cabin and surrounding area, and ate lunch at the site.

P7240036.jpg

P7240039.jpg

P7240037.jpg

We continued on down the trail through a few small stream crossings and over many more rocks until we returned to the beginning of the loop. Rather than backtrack down the mountain the way we came, we decided to drive down Red Elephant Hill (FS???) instead. This was also a very difficult route that was extremely steep with many large rocks, ledges, close trees, sheer drop offs, and numerous off-camber obstacles.

P7240042.jpg

P7240044.jpg

Great care had to be taken when driving this trail due to the steepness of the road. We eventually made it safely to the bottom and ate dinner. Nearby was a rafting outfitter that we scheduled a raft trip for the next day through. We also learned that they had camping space available, and decided that we might as well camp there for the night as well.

4Rocker

Observer
Day 7: We began the morning by hitting the rapids. The hour and a half long raft trip down the Clear River was a blast with many challenging sections that even sent a few people in the boat swimming!

P7250001.jpg

At the raft pull-out, we also noticed a number of rock climbers scaling the rock face of the canyon almost directly above us. Once dried off and back at the FJ, we continued north from Idaho Springs on 'Oh My God Road' past several mining remains.

P7250007.jpg

This was a very easy, yet scenic road which lead into Central City, a town once booming with the mining industry, but is now a popular gambling destination. Further down the road, we stayed at Columbine campground in the forest for the night.

Day 8: The goal for the day was to continue making our way north again. We began by driving Yankee Hill Road (FS175). This was a moderately challenging road, but contained many great views and passed by a number of mine sites. Route finding can be tough in spots, but a good map reader should have no problem. The end of the trail contains a great view of St Mary's glacier and the town of Alice below.

P7260011.jpg

Once in Alice, we navigated the switchback network of streets through town and connected to Kingston Peak Road (FS353). Another moderately challenging trail, most of the route was high above treeline, cutting across tundra for great views almost 360 degrees around. Near the beginning of the trail was the Rock House, an point of interest where visitors will deposit rocks from various exotic places. After signing the guestbook and enjoying the view of Loch Lomond (lake), we continued onward.

P7260013.jpg

The trail climbed to over 12,000ft and passed near the top of Kingston Peak. James Peak (13,294 ft) resides nearby the trail and offers spectacular scenery as well as a great hiking trail back to James Peak Lake. After descending below treeline again, we hopped onto Apex Road (FS 353/176) and drove north towards Rollins Pass.

P7260016.jpg

Rollins pass had been created as a railroad route up and over the mountains to connect the east and west sides of the range. By the time the route was completed, it was only in use for a few years before the 6 mile long Moffat Tunnel was created. The tunnel shortened the train's travel time from 2 ½ hours down to a mere 12 minutes and rendered the pass obsolete. The former railbed is now an easy 4x4 trail (FS149) that winds past Yankee Doodle lake up to Rollins Pass. Vehicles are stopped a half mile from the top on each side, as through traffic is no longer permitted due to rock slides at the Needle's Eye tunnel.

P7260024.jpg

It would be fun to explore the western half of the past sometime in the future as it contains many neat views including a number of very large wooden railroad tressels. After hiking up to the tunnel and over the ridge to the other side, we began making our way back down the mountain again before evening storms rolled in.

Day 9: This was to be the last day on the trail, and also one of the most difficult. We began with the Plane Crash. To reach the site, we followed FS105/115 to FS203. This was a very rocky and difficult trail. There were a number of high ledges to climb as well as some tippy areas. Once we reached the end of the trail, we hiked ¼ mile to the site of the plane crash.

P7270031.jpg

In the mid 1960s, a Lockheed T-33 trainer jet with two Air Force officers crashed on the mountainside, killing both airmen. All of the wreckage is still present and there are many large, identifiable sections of wreckage (tail, wings, landing gear, cockpit canopy). A hike to the bottom of the hill reveals what is left of the engine. Backtracking down 203 to 105/115 and continuing east brought us to the next trail; the Ironclads.

P7270034.jpg

The Ironclads is a loop that winds through the Ironclads rock formations. It is a very difficult trail (FS416) that has a very long, steep climb with many tough rock outcroppings. Once at the apex of the loop, the trail starts downhill over many rocks, ending with a very large ledge. Once back at the bottom of the hill, the road continues past Bunce School House and back to pavement.

P7270044.jpg

From here we began driving back towards Minnesota and the end of the trip. I spent a few days in Winona visiting with family and friends before continuing back to WV. The excursion from WV to CO and back covered just under 5000 miles and took us from 600ft to over 12000ft ASL. The FJ performed admirably and camping over a week straight allowed for some great insights into what gear is really necessary on this type of trip and what is not. All in all, it was an excellent experience and will be a trip my Dad and I will remember forever.

Full photo gallery here: http://s46.photobucket.com/albums/f140/4rocker/Colorado 2010/

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
Thats so neat. I have been thinking about taking my Dad out for a trip like that. Thank you for sharing. An entertaining read and gorgeous pictures! :)

Oh... and welcome to ExPo! :wavey:

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Welcome to ExPo 4Rocker!

Great Trip!.....:safari-rig:

Mr. D

Adventurer
thanks for the great pictures looked like you and your Dad had a good time. My brother in law and I drove to billmore lake in June. We met up with two FJ owners and us in my rubicon we all had to shovel snow several times to get to the lake but we made it with the help of the FJs.

RttH

Wonderful write up and pictures! This is where I live and ... embarrassingly...I have yet to see some of these trails. Looks like you had a great time! Thanks for sharing!

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
What a great way to introduce yourself to the Portal. Your trip report is a fine example of what one of these thread should be. Fun narrative, great photos and chucked full of useful info. There's some old timers here that could learn a thing or two by following your example. Thanks for sharing you and your dad's trip and welcome to the Portal! :elkgrin:

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Great trip report. Looks like some amazing country that offered both beautiful scenery and technical challenges at times.

That will be a father son memory trip for sure. :victory:

Firetacoma

Observer
You saw a good deal of our fair state! Great write-up! We lost our brakes on "Oh My God" road once... that was interesting.

Viggen

Just here...
This is a fantastic looking trip. You got rocks, dunes AND seriously wooded trails. Why dont I live in Colorado yet?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier