Northbound Tundra, building a 5 speed manual transmission swapped 2001 Toyota Tundra with 2uzfe 4.7 liter engine into an overland adventure vehicle

Update:

Got the driveline hooked up and this thing feels amazing to drive! So far I’ve gotten to do reverse, 1st and 2nd. Once I have the transmission mount fabricated I will be able to do a complete road test.

As far as the ADD system goes, I completely removed the 4wd control ecu and now my blinking 4wd lights are gone with no additional errors codes. From what I can see from the FSM on manual transmission / transfer case setups, I should be able to activate the ADD with a relay which will in turn activate the dash light 4wd indicator. Looking good and I’m excited :)

smokeysevin

Observer
Update:

Got the driveline hooked up and this thing feels amazing to drive! So far I’ve gotten to do reverse, 1st and 2nd. Once I have the transmission mount fabricated I will be able to do a complete road test.

As far as the ADD system goes, I completely removed the 4wd control ecu and now my blinking 4wd lights are gone with no additional errors codes. From what I can see from the FSM on manual transmission / transfer case setups, I should be able to activate the ADD with a relay which will in turn activate the dash light 4wd indicator. Looking good and I’m excited :)
The manual transfer case still has the position switches in it, you just need to figure out the i/o positions and set it so when its in 4 anything the add relay is triggered. Its a pretty simple circuit.

Sean

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

I just found this thread and it definitely sparks my interest as I may be searching for something else to build soon-ish. How does the 4.7 feel with the manual trans?

As far as the ADD, I think I'd try to make it operate off a separate switch so I could use the transfer cases LO as a 2wd Low as well.

Just finished wiring up a rocker switch to control the add manually. It works flawlessly so far.

any updates? I am considering a 5 speed in my 03
Sweet, it would be cool to see another one get built! So far it has been working great. Last weekend I think I broke something after getting stuck in the snow. I got high centered and had one wheel in the front and one wheel in back spinning because I don’t have lockers. I guess it was a bad idea but I put it in low range and applied the brakes and gas at the same time to try to get the other wheels to spin. I heard something break in the front, maybe an inner front cv? And started digging my way out after. Seems bound up but I was able to disengage the front diff with the switch I installed and limped it out 20 miles back to cement. I don’t think it had anything to do with the 5 speed conversion, just bad driving.
Now I’m looking into doing the locking hub conversion but I need to take it apart to find out exactly what’s going on.

thor316c

@northboundtundra awesome setup and build thread, I have 2000 Tundra that I would love to do this conversion to. I noticed you have OEM shift knobs and I assume got an OEM clutch pedal too right? Any chance you could create a parts list with Toyota part numbers for this conversion?

Again really awesome stuff man! Toyota should have totally offered this from the factory!

Yeah, just about everything is stock Toyota in this build except for the adapter plate and throwout bearing, including the clutch pedal. A list with oem part numbers is a good idea that I will work on. Now that I have some miles on it I’m thinking about building kits for people who are interested in the swap.

On a side not, the problem mentioned earlier ended up being a bad ring gear on my front diff. I replaced the whole front carrier and diff with one out of a totaled truck and it is working better than before. The ADD used to stick and give me problems, but not it’s smooth and doesn’t stick. Still would like to swap in manual locking hubs though.

toastyjosh

Adventurer
[

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[/QUOTE]
Yeah, just about everything is stock Toyota in this build except for the adapter plate and throwout bearing, including the clutch pedal. A list with oem part numbers is a good idea that I will work on. Now that I have some miles on it I’m thinking about building kits for people who are interested in the swap.

On a side not, the problem mentioned earlier ended up being a bad ring gear on my front diff. I replaced the whole front carrier and diff with one out of a totaled truck and it is working better than before. The ADD used to stick and give me problems, but not it’s smooth and doesn’t stick. Still would like to swap in manual locking hubs though.

The Kit would be epic, especially the adapter plate!
If you wanted extra credit, would be to come up with a adapter plate for the RA 60 6 speed as well!

Last edited:
[

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Kid would be epic, especially the adapter plate!
If you wanted extra credit, would be to come up with a adapter plate for the RA 60 6 speed as well!
[/QUOTE]
I’ve got another friend who was asking for a kit too I’ll see how quickly I can get it done. The RA 60 6 speed would probably be an easier swap since it would retain the electronic transfercase switch. I’ll see what I can find in regards to that setup but I went with the 5 speed because I wanted the manual transfer case. I think you can a manual transfer case swap to the 6 speed too though, so maybe it’s possible to have it all. An extra gear is always welcome :)

digitalferg

Adventurer
Its almost like your setup was designed for the tundra and never put into production.

Well, technically speaking, the Extra Cab and Regular Cab 1G Tundras were available with the R150F--just only behind the V6. It would make sense that the trans tunnel and firewall areas would be quite accepting of a manual trans setup.

And this is an awesome swap/build @northboundtundra ! Having owned a V8 1G Tundra DoubleCab, two V8 LX470s, two V8 GX470s, two 1G V6 Tacomas (an auto and a manual), and two V6 3G 4Runners--I always wanted to combine the best of all those worlds into one of them: V8, 5-spd manual, manual tcase, and manual hubs. :cool: Going manual hubs would make yours just about the ultimate setup. Do it! :) (IMO, the only thing better would be adding front and rear 80 series Cruiser axles... :p )

I looked heavily into doing it on my last GX470. But in the end, the GX470 is just too fugly, IMO, and I had to get rid of it. But it woulda been not too bad. I'm fairly certain there is actually factory manual trans and 2UZ equipped 100/LX470s that were available in the Middle East. I dont think they got the R150F though. EDIT: they got the H151F. But there is (or was...) at least one Cruiser shop in the US that sells a bolt in swap kit for 100 series Cruiser. Lemme track down my notes on that (just for future reference since I brought it up. Haha -- Cause your swap is already pretty damn cool without my ramblings. :p )

Edit: CruiserParts is the place that offers the Cruiser swap kit parts with the H151F behind the 2UZ. Note: I suggest anybody google their reputation and become informed on their M.O. before going and ordering from them. I personally much prefer ordering from other Cruiser shops like the top quality Cruiser Outfitters. But CruiserParts seems to be the only place that has this swap parts list online anywhere (and might be the only one thats [currently] got this list put together).

I'd love to see somebody put together a kit for the R150F behind the 2UZ too, though. (Especially cause I might need a 2UZ in front of my R150F in my 2003 Tacoma one day... :p ) I say go for it @northboundtundra !

Last edited:

Hathaway

I'm super excited to have found this thread; thank you for doing the leg-work to figure this out, and thank you for putting it all in writing! I've got a 5spd 2nd gen 4runner that the Michigan salt has been eating away at, and I'm not sure how much longer it's going to hold together... I've been browsing Sequoias for sale, but they obviously never existed with a manual, but this thread gives me hope! I love the idea of a full-size suv with a manual; so 5spd swapping a Sequoia is on the short-list of project cars in the near future, and I've already got the donor trans in the 4runner whenever the body decides to fully let-go, lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles