North Texas Excursion Project

TrailLite

Could anyone recommend a good shop within a short day’s drive (<4 hours) of Dallas to do an ‘06+ axle swap on my ‘03 Excursion? Ideally someone would own the whole process and have experience with this mod. If necessary I could get axle but again I would move it if I could find turn key solution.

nitro_rat

Lunchbox Lockers
It's best to get a whole rolling frame as
you need lots of frame brackets and the matching rear axle as well. I have considered doing the swap on my Ex but I am actually pretty happy with it the way it is. I'm about 4 hours South of Dallas. PM me if you're serious.

d-lewis

Truck Source Diesel in San Antonio. See below for a link to an instagram post where they are doing a little more than just the axle swap. Wont be cheap but they can handle turn key from the looks of it.

To go along with this what is the difference on the 04 down and 05 up rear axle width? Ive thought about the front axle swap but the rear being a different width would drive me crazy.

nitro_rat

Lunchbox Lockers
B9849A36-4028-47C5-8B3B-CE6BB3E9F56A.jpeg

The red brackets are the ones required for the swap. The two on the inside of the frame behind the cross member require engine removal and welding to properly install. If you don't add these brackets the frame will crack behind the cross member! The ones up front where the leaf spring hangers went are for the crash bar.

The rear axle is about 4" wider total IIRC to match the new front track width.

TrailLite

Is the indication here that you must remove the engine to do a safe swap of an 05+ coil spring axle to a 99-03 EX? There are several right ups of this swap and nothing is mentioned about that.

nitro_rat

Lunchbox Lockers
Is the indication here that you must remove the engine to do a safe swap of an 05+ coil spring axle to a 99-03 EX? There are several right ups of this swap and nothing is mentioned about that.

I'm not doing the swap without adding the inside brackets. I'm not adding the inside brackets without pulling the motor. They need to be cut out of the frame and welded in to be done properly. I'm sure the swap has been done without adding the inside brackets. The frame WILL crack. How do I know? FOMOCO tried it and it didn't work. So they designed the inside brackets. They prototyped the coil suspension on a leaf spring frame and that's why it's ALMOST a bolt in.

Nobody wants to mention this but they'll be happy to take your money and do a hack job swap on your truck. It's your problem after it leaves their shop. Like I said before, PM me if you're serious.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94