NorNv Desert Heat

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Heh Heh, here in the Nv desert (4200 ft) it gets pretty hot during the summer/w nice temps at night-

This pic I took last summer after I put the TEPUI RTT on top my jeep and went out in the forbidden land-
003_zpsee7c635f.jpg

Now this pic is what happens when the EL NINO runs amok, California gats a LOTTA rain and we get--
(same spot)
Feb%202016%20025_zpssktqkgax.jpg

Heh Heh, no camping for me in 28 deg F

Getting to/from was a lotta fun today, instead of just driving between tumbleweeds
Feb%202016%20023_zpsf0djuidr.jpg

Feb%202016%20028_zpsez2qcesd.jpg

The avg snow is about 8"/w burms up to 2'--fun/fun/fun and a lotta mustangs running around (horses not Fords)

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
That's awesome! :beer:

Last time I camped in 20* weather, I slept inside the Jeep, and the dog kept me warm.
The best part was auto start to warm things up, before I got out of the bag. :elkgrin:

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero:heh Heh, of the many things I wanted to be-------

That's awesome! :beer:

Last time I camped in 20* weather, I slept inside the Jeep, and the dog kept me warm.
The best part was auto start to warm things up, before I got out of the bag. :elkgrin:

An ESKIMO, wasn't oneofem--

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
Oh yeah, I totally agree, but as old as I am/w minor body fat--I don't like cold and-

:iagree:...:clapping:

Really is beautiful in its stark ruggedness.

Even though my wife and I have a "0" degree sleepoing bag--it's very warm--it's that morning getup/breakfast chill I just don't like anymore--I did for many decades, but not now--

So now I'm a "fair weather" camper-

I love driving my jeep in snow/photo/challenges, but not camping --

This is fun, the desert is full of frisky Mustangs and roaming coyotes---we watch and photo from a nice warm jeep-
snow12-2010079.jpg

Maybe I'm justa wuss any more !

Whatever

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
Oh yeah, I totally agree, but as old as I am/w minor body fat--I don't like cold and-

Even though my wife and I have a "0" degree sleepoing bag--it's very warm--it's that morning getup/breakfast chill I just don't like anymore--I did for many decades, but not now--

So now I'm a "fair weather" camper-

I love driving my jeep in snow/photo/challenges, but not camping --

This is fun, the desert is full of frisky Mustangs and roaming coyotes---we watch and photo from a nice warm jeep-
snow12-2010079.jpg

Maybe I'm justa wuss any more !

Whatever

we got about 8" in the north valleys over the weekend. I wouldnt be complaining about 28* though! When I got in the car yesterday morning is was 17* at the house!

12631513_10100873597271098_4657366932493332683_n.jpg

Last edited:

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Was talking with a buddy of mine in the Northeast about running. It was in the low 40s and foggy when I was running that morning. He laughed and said "...quit yer bitchen, it was -18*F this morning when I went running".

I guess it's all perspective. How anybody can survive in weather colder than 50*F is confounding. Really makes me wonder why the early settlers left their home lands, only to move to a place... just like their home land. I'd have kept on going, right to Hawaii.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: WOW--- -18 deg, if you stopped to smell a rose--

Everything would freezeup !

I can't stand the cold-

Whatever

GetOutThere

Adventurer
I worked at a remote gold mine for a year, and we had our own weather station. The coldest day we recorded was -45c (-49f). With the wind chill it was -55c (-67f).

Spent as little time outside as possible, obviously. Outside time was limited to 15 minutes maximum at a time, and no one went outside alone. Frost bite and hypothermia within minutes if not adequately dressed. Our gasoline pick ups ran, but the temp needle never moved, and anyone who touched the heat controls got a swift whack to the head... the vents were blowing in straight -45c air, no matter how long you left the truck running. Running at high RPMs in an attempt to heat the engine enough to provide warmth was a lost cause.

It was the most intense temperature I have ever experienced, and I'm ok with just the once. That wasn't even close to the record breaking temperature for the date either.

Pretty thankful to have moved on from that place.

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
Was talking with a buddy of mine in the Northeast about running. It was in the low 40s and foggy when I was running that morning. He laughed and said "...quit yer bitchen, it was -18*F this morning when I went running".

I guess it's all perspective. How anybody can survive in weather colder than 50*F is confounding. Really makes me wonder why the early settlers left their home lands, only to move to a place... just like their home land. I'd have kept on going, right to Hawaii.

I hear ya. I'm from NH originally and this Reno weather is cute to say the least. 8" of snow was a big deal, 18 is considered cold.

I been backpacking through -40 degree weather up in the white mountains.

But yes, its all relative, cold is cold, just like hot is hot. Here everybody bitches about it being over 100, in vegas we would ***** if it crossed 110 or 115. Its still just plain hot!

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Yeah, imagine the Army Corp of Engineers building that Alaskan Hiwy, during the WWII war/winter-

-SHAZAM---not for me !

WyoCherokee

Adventurer
The colder the better. A person should not sweat while sleeping. i havent seen a day above 50 since maybe last october?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior