Normal engine coolant temp

dbrinkmann

Observer
I have been using torque (android app) to check my engine coolant temp (1999 Range Rover p38 4.6 Bosch) via obdII port. I have a new radiator, new thermostat, and new coolant. I'm curious what other see as a normal temp when driving? I range between 201 and 206 F. It seems high since the thermostat is supposed to be open at 193 but I'd like to hear what others experience.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
That sounds correct. These engines run warm on purpose so the mixture can be leaned out a bit for better emissions...

I might consider putting in the "Freelander" 180* thermostat to cool it down a bit.

Mr. Pickles

Observer
I have the same setup. New warm climate t-stat and recent coolant flush. No coolant leaks on my 2001 Disco. with 113k on the clock. Torque free on my Droid with the BT adapter. I run around 198 degrees F. I top out at 203. Ambient temp hasn't gotten much above 45 here though in the North East, so we'll see how it goes in the Spring/Summer.

discomun

I've got a 2000 Disco II, 152k miles, with the 180* thermostat. I also have an Ultragauge (which I highly recommend for watching coolant temps among other things) and I usually sit around 190*. The highest I've seen it go up to is 198*.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online