Noob TLC Questions

Nick B

Observer
This question is from a long time Jeeper . What was the first year Toyota went with the IFS in the LC ?
Also are the models with the IFS any good for light to moderate off roading ?
Moderate as in exploring off the beatin path, not Moab or the Rubicon .
I ask because in my town there's a ton of stock 6-9 year old LC's running around town and I'm seeing them starting to pop up for sale .
TIA, Nick

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
The 100-series Land Cruiser that came out for the model year 1998 was the beginning of IFS.

brentbba

Explorer
100 series in 1998 was the first year with IFS and a V8. Light to moderate would be a walk in the park. It is a LandCruiser!:victory:

Cypher

Full Time Traveler
From my research, yes I am in the market as well, you may want to stick with a 2000 or newer model. The 98-99 100 series have a 2 pinion gear front diff which is a little weak. The 2000+ have a 4 pinion which is significantly stronger. for the 98-99, a rear locker was an option and not on the 2000+. However, the 2000+ have the TRAC system standard and Vehicle Stability Control (VSC), which are both worth their weight in gold. There are lots of good deals out there right now. Good luck!

dclee

Observer
If you omit the light duty Land Cruisers (which I do), then yep, 1998 was the year. I do agree on the assessment to go 2000 or later. You can always add ARB air lockers to both axles to make up for losing the rear factory e-locker, but you cannot (very easily) add all that electronic traction aid goodness to an earlier truck.

ShottsCruisers

Explorer
1998-2007 Cruisers are quite Moab-capable. They are Rubicon-capable though barely because of their large size. I'd run the Jeep through there. Everywhere else (almost) you are well prepared and with extreme reliability.

http://shottscruisers.smugmug.com/F...n-Spike/611082_rttHs/1/233793356_ehofQ/Medium

(With my current suspension setup I'd a not even lifted/bounced my rear wheel)

For only light to moderate...I cannot imagine a better vehicle ever made for that purpose (except the 2008+ Cruiser if you stop at light-to-medium moderate. For moderate+ the 100-Series wins out).

Last edited:

ginericLC

Adventurer
From my research, yes I am in the market as well, you may want to stick with a 2000 or newer model. The 98-99 100 series have a 2 pinion gear front diff which is a little weak. The 2000+ have a 4 pinion which is significantly stronger. for the 98-99, a rear locker was an option and not on the 2000+. However, the 2000+ have the TRAC system standard and Vehicle Stability Control (VSC), which are both worth their weight in gold. There are lots of good deals out there right now. Good luck!

Actually it doesn't really matter on the front diff. Even the 2000+ break. Replacing it with an ARB in the front gets rid of that problem though. I would also skip 2000 and go right to 2001 due to a tranny problem in the 2000s. And if I could afford it I'd start looking at 2003s to get the 5speed tranny, that is worth quite a bit more $ in my opinion.

Cypher

Full Time Traveler
Actually it doesn't really matter on the front diff. Even the 2000+ break. Replacing it with an ARB in the front gets rid of that problem though. I would also skip 2000 and go right to 2001 due to a tranny problem in the 2000s. And if I could afford it I'd start looking at 2003s to get the 5speed tranny, that is worth quite a bit more $ in my opinion.

Ahh yes good call! 2001 is my preferred year as of right now, and the front diff will indeed be replaced with an ARB. Now, is it only the 2000 that has the tranny issue? Meaning the 99 and 01 do not? Thanks for the info guys!

Shotts, awesome cruiser man... I have drooled many-a-times over the pics. :drool:

ShottsCruisers

Explorer
NickB....2000+ 4-pinion front diff breakages are insanely rare. Do not give it a worry even when you fall in love with the new Cruiser so much that you DO end up taking it to Moab. :sombrero:

And you do get more perks by going ot a 2001 and for very little cash over a 2000.

Nick B

Observer
One last question . Whats the difference between lets say a 03 LC and an 03 GX470 ? We have lots of the GX470's running around here .
And thanks for all the replys .

a.mus.ed

Explorer
The GX's are a different platform. Basically a Land Cruiser Prado (90 or 120?). It's closest relative here is the 4th gen 4Runner, I believe.

ShottsCruisers

Explorer
One last question . Whats the difference between lets say a 03 LC and an 03 GX470 ? We have lots of the GX470's running around here .
And thanks for all the replys .

Totally different vehicle and in almost every way (except that they share the V8). Lexus-wise it's $50K vs $70K comparison. Made for different applications.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles