Non-Vehicle Specific Auxiliary Tanks/Fuel Cells

Strider

Observer
I want to add auxiliary fuel tanks to my 2008 FJ Cruiser and 2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road. Been looking at some fuel tanks from Summit Racing that fit the dimensions under the FJC; where the charcoal canister is (would relocate it). Anyone done that?
The Tacoma should be easier, especially if I swap out the OEM bed for the tray. I could possibly even use a simple rectangular tank.
I would have them set up as transfer tanks I think, with a pump to transfer the fuel to the stock gas tank when needed.

There are fuel tanks designed for other vehicles that would fit, and there are fuel cells that would fit. Some of the fuel cells are steel with a bladder inside. Thinking the good thing about the bladder is no rust to the cell walls and it can be replaced if needed. Fuel cells seem safer than fuel tanks.

I'm thinking something like this:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-576-153

or this:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/jzp-200-032-nf

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rci-1302yd

Comments?

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
Subscribed

A google search brings up only diesel truck options.

Last edited:

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
I am interested in what you learn too... I have my spare on a 2016 Tacoma on a swing out and would love to add a transfer tank in that space

Strider

Observer
Subscribed

A google search brings up only diesel truck options.

The links I put up will open to gas tanks.

Also, I read that diesel tanks can be used but I think you have to have them vented. Would have to look deeper into that.

Strider

Observer
I am interested in what you learn too... I have my spare on a 2016 Tacoma on a swing out and would love to add a transfer tank in that space

Hoping for some good information. It's going to be a bit before I do this, so it will allow me time to gather info.
If/when I do it, I will do a write up/video.

F350joe

these will hold fuel but are not yet rated to do so. When then get back in stock i will be ordering one but for water.

I think this is what you actually want though... check your state regs.

Strider

Observer

these will hold fuel but are not yet rated to do so. When then get back in stock i will be ordering one but for water.

I think this is what you actually want though... check your state regs.

Interesting. Thanks!
I have looked at the long range fuel tanks. They are great. However, fuel cell is about 1/4 or less of that price. They are used for racing, including Baja racing, so they are obviously safe. That's why I am looking into the fuel cells (even over the tanks from other vehicles).

trae

Adventurer

If you have a swing out maybe something like this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Strider

Observer

Strider

Observer

Thanks. Those are great and I have been looking into that. What I am considering though, is the use of a 30 gallon or more fuel cell in addition to the stock tank. This would give me 50 gallons or more of fuel at about 1/4 the cost or less. Maybe it won't be viable, but I want to find out. Fuel cells are used in Baja/Off Road racing so they are definitely safe. It's just a matter of fitting them. Of course, then there's the issue of weight...

billiebob

Thanks. Those are great and I have been looking into that. What I am considering though, is the use of a 30 gallon or more fuel cell in addition to the stock tank. This would give me 50 gallons or more of fuel at about 1/4 the cost or less. Maybe it won't be viable, but I want to find out. Fuel cells are used in Baja/Off Road racing so they are definitely safe. It's just a matter of fitting them. Of course, then there's the issue of weight...
not sure what the laws are where you are but lots of places put limits on the amount of gasoline you can carry in a "tidy tank" or fuel cell aplication and it is usually the equivalent of two 5 gallon jerry cans. The reason gasoline tidy tanks are so rare is due to the lack of fuel evaporative control systems. Closed circuit racing might get a pass but vehicles on the highway don't. Likely your only legal option is the replacement tank.

Here in BC our ferries won't let you board if you have a gas tidy tank or more than two 5 gallon jerry cans. But there are no restrictions on diesel.

Strider

Observer
not sure what the laws are where you are but lots of places put limits on the amount of gasoline you can carry in a "tidy tank" or fuel cell aplication and it is usually the equivalent of two 5 gallon jerry cans. The reason gasoline tidy tanks are so rare is due to the lack of fuel evaporative control systems. Closed circuit racing might get a pass but vehicles on the highway don't. Likely your only legal option is the replacement tank.

Here in BC our ferries won't let you board if you have a gas tidy tank or more than two 5 gallon jerry cans. But there are no restrictions on diesel.

Is there a way to plumb the fuel cell into the regular evap system? The replacement tanks they sell and the auxiliary tanks are legal, so there must be a way to do this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior