Non toxic, Anti-Seize recommendations ?

klahanie

daydream believer
Hey folks,

I'm finally done with the Permatex grey death stuff. Looking for something decent for general purpose but specifically for hub to alloy wheel use. Bonus if it doesn't get everywhere like hydraulic fluid or ... well, grey death. Thx

javajoe79

Fabricator
What is the toxicity concern? There are quite a few anti seize offerings and I've used them all but never really noticed much difference between any of them. Be careful using it and handling hardware once applied and it won't end up everywhere.

klahanie

daydream believer
What is the toxicity concern? There are quite a few anti seize offerings and I've used them all but never really noticed much difference between any of them. Be careful using it and handling hardware once applied and it won't end up everywhere.
Not really a concern, just sometimes would rather choose a product without a poison warning where possible (had plenty of exposure to harmful stuff in the workplace, and outside of)

Think I'l try a food safe formula. Understood the "get everywhere" part is on me (pun intended).

Thanks for all the replies.

WillySwan

For the wheel to hub application you mention I've also tended to use the silver anti seize because it is handy. I think that LPS 3 might be a good option though. I know a lot of boat owners swear by LPS 3 for corrosion protection. Looking at the safety data sheet, you don't want to suck the fumes, but otherwise it does not seem to be particularly hazardous (my opinion).

Louisd75

Adventurer
I use a dry moly spray: https://www.crcindustries.com/products/dry-moly-lube-11-wt-oz.html

I set the wheel on a piece of cardboard so that the hub side is up and spray the dry moly on. It doesn't transfer to your hands nearly as bad once it's dry. Use another piece of cardboard with a circle cut out to protect your brake rotors and you can spray it on the hub as well.

In other applications you can use beeswax. It works surprisingly well at bolts that have a bit of rust, like on the exhaust flanges and O2 sensors. Drive around, get the exhaust hot, park, shutdown and chock the rig, then crawl under with a lump of beeswax and just touch it to the hot bolts or on the threads. It will wick along the threads and help break things loose. I usually let things cool down and then go to town. Much more pleasant than PB, Kroil or the like.

I use a dry moly spray: https://www.crcindustries.com/products/dry-moly-lube-11-wt-oz.html

I set the wheel on a piece of cardboard so that the hub side is up and spray the dry moly on. It doesn't transfer to your hands nearly as bad once it's dry. Use another piece of cardboard with a circle cut out to protect your brake rotors and you can spray it on the hub as well.

In other applications you can use beeswax. It works surprisingly well at bolts that have a bit of rust, like on the exhaust flanges and O2 sensors. Drive around, get the exhaust hot, park, shutdown and chock the rig, then crawl under with a lump of beeswax and just touch it to the hot bolts or on the threads. It will wick along the threads and help break things loose. I usually let things cool down and then go to town. Much more pleasant than PB, Kroil or the like.

Capital idea!

I have some dry graphite spray, I’m going to try that on the wheels/hubs and back of the brake drums when I swap out the snow wheels/tires for the summer set in a few weeks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles