Non Generic Drawer Latches?

nvrfollow

Looking for a push to close or slam latch that is not generic and like the ones everyone else uses. I'm all for tried and true, but a boat slam latch or a generic paddle latch does not get me very excited. There are a few intersting off the shelf retention latches, but would like to retain a push to close mechanism. I think ARB currently has the most functional latch on the market even though it is bulky, plastic and likely made in some gloomy overseas factory.

nvrfollow

while you're waiting for the perfect solution, you can decide what you don't like about these: drawer latches | McMaster-Carr

McMaster never copy pastes address very well. You would have to post a specific part number. They have some decent options for paddle latches black/chrome/keyed, they also have the southco latches up to the large size but I think the XL would be the way to go. The cam compression latches are my favorite option so far on McMaster as far a aesthetics and function go, they just lack in the convenience dept.

Attachments

• latch cam.gif
    latch cam.gif
    48.6 KB · Views: 35
  • latch southco.gif
    latch southco.gif
    44.9 KB · Views: 34
  • latch paddle.gif
    latch paddle.gif
    46.2 KB · Views: 31

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
because nobody is going to get rich making a new latch that works just as well, but only looks slightly better

I totally understand the frustration, but the market just isn't there to reinvent such an item.

Reactions: plh
Looking for a push to close or slam latch that is not generic and like the ones everyone else uses. I'm all for tried and true, but a boat slam latch or a generic paddle latch does not get me very excited. There are a few intersting off the shelf retention latches, but would like to retain a push to close mechanism. I think ARB currently has the most functional latch on the market even though it is bulky, plastic and likely made in some gloomy overseas factory.

If the tried-and-true options don't float your boat, check into aerospace latches.

This brand is used by the racing world. Tons of pitboxes and cabinets are made with SouthCo latches. In my experience, we only had one fail on our pitbox, and it was a careless user error.

hg1027

Maybe call around or visit some boat restoration yards/old car resto shops? Depending on your location and other interests, maybe find something that's not typically seen on a camp drawer.

La-Z-Boy recliner latch, computer case quick release, old leatherman or other tool for the handle, aircraft seat belt, porcelain roses, race car fire extinguisher remote pull...

If the tried-and-true options don't float your boat, check into aerospace latches.
You reminded me of these. Don't know if it is something usable. Would take some creativity for drawers but would work for doors or hinged panels.

s.e.charles

Maybe call around or visit some boat restoration yards/old car resto shops? Depending on your location and other interests, maybe find something that's not typically seen on a camp drawer.

La-Z-Boy recliner latch, computer case quick release, old leatherman or other tool for the handle, aircraft seat belt, porcelain roses, race car fire extinguisher remote pull...

sort of the "rat rod" of the latch industry

nvrfollow

This brand is used by the racing world. Tons of pitboxes and cabinets are made with SouthCo latches. In my experience, we only had one fail on our pitbox, and it was a careless user error.

Interesting, I used to work in aerospace I actually know a guy who makes the door latches on a pretty sweet turboprop plane.

Great ideas.

You reminded me of these. Don't know if it is something usable. Would take some creativity for drawers but would work for doors or hinged panels.

Hadn't thought about hood latches and whatnot, they have some pretty cool stuff on their website thanks for the share.

New invention from Australia , made in Australia! We use them in our camper and loving them. https://www.expeditionupfitter.ca/c...or-hardware/products/finger-pull-drawer-latch

Hey this is a great idea for a drawer latch, thanks for advancing the latch market.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94