Non-Combustion Heater in Camper Shell

Smith

Howdy!

Looking to take the gf up to the Catskills for a long weekend of camping and beerfesting, but she's a tad worried about the cold...I tried to explain that it'll be fine since we have a bag to crawl into together inside the cap on the sleeping platform, blah blah, but she's not buying it!

Long story short - Does anybody run any type of heater in their camper shell setup? I have a 10ga DC line running to the back where I have an auxiliary fuse block with two lighter plugs, but always thought a heater would destroy a battery overnight?

I also have two Buddy Heaters, the tiny one and next size up, but wasn't too keen on running a propane furnace in such a small, confined space. :snorkel: No ventilation means no waking up in my opinion.

Worst case I bring the small Buddy and just tell her 'it doesn't seem to be working tonight...' hehe

Side Note...working on a build thread... :safari-rig:

FordGuy1

Adventurer
My wife is a very cold sleeper, and we spend a lot of time tent camping out of our Jeep. Solution, I bought her a 25deg below zero Grizzly sleeping bag, problem solved!! She overheats in 20 deg now

Quasimoto

Observer
I use a Big Buddy but I also run a Dac tent on the back so venting is not a issue, but I am thinking of trying one of these or something like it and set it on the roof rack, then plumb it into the window beside my bed.

Zodi Hot Vent Tent Heater
■20,000 BTU High Performance Hot Vent tent heater
■Provides unlimited SAFE heat instantly (Heater stays outside)
■Comfortable - increases input air temperature in seconds
■Case lid detaches to hold propane cylinders
■Powerful 12 volt blower provides great air flow (requires 12 volt battery)
■Connects to all 12 volt batteries or power source
■3 ft flexible input & output accordion style hoses delivers hot air
■SAFE design - heater stays outside and no carbon monoxide enters tent
■Enjoy 3 to 8 hours of heat with one 16 oz propane cylinder
■With heater outdoors no water vapor or moisture is trapped in tent
■Convenient gear bag stores system between use and transport
■Stainless steel burner construction for extra durability
■Great for tents, ice fishing, RVs and 4 season use

billy2

Buddy heater on dead low and a battery operated co detector. I usually just warm up the cap and shut it off before sleeping.

burt

Observer
I think if you guys have good bags (or bag) you will be too warm in no time with the buddy on in a truck shell. I have the little buddy that I have used many nights in my grandby and even in that much space I leave the roof vent open and the doors to the turnbuckles open and I still can't get it off low without it getting to warm. That's with outside temps around 30f. I'd be more concerned with placement of heater for fire hazard than co poisoning in that space (with ventilation of course). I can never figure how to set it up far enough away from me in a regular shell. Other than that the pilot will be warm enough after a preheating.

Lynn

Expedition Leader
IMHO people often overlook the value of an insulated sleeping pad. Don't forget that even with a good bag your body weight compresses the insulation below you, minimizing its effectiveness.

If you don't have good insulation between your bag and the bed of the truck you could get cold no matter what heater you have. And an air mattress is not insulation.

In short, if you haven't already, get good insulated sleeping pads.

Smith

Q - Interesting Zodi heater and idea...sounds like a fun little build and keeps it contained to the cap/shell. My big sticking point is the ability to remove the camper shell and use the bed for huge items/mulch/etc. I might have to look into that more in the summer months ahead.

Glad to hear most of you guys have good luck with the Buddy Heaters. Extra CO detector for peace of mind isn't a bad thing either...

Clutch - trying to stay away from the loud generators during the evenings/mornings. Not my style, and the 'quiet' ones are still too loud for me. I'm a 'serenity now' kinda guy. haha

Lynn - Totally agree with the pad idea. I have one for backpacking, I guess I'll have to shell out the $20 for one more for her. Good thinking...I completely disregarded it because I'm on a platform in a truck, but you're right, the carpeted board will sap away heat just as fast...

Chime in if anyone's ever used a Zodi before like mentioned above!!! Super curious how it works out, life of the cylinders, thermostat regulated, etc.?!

mdmead

Adventurer
My vote is the Buddy Heater. I've used one in my camper when the wall mount one was on the fritz. By itself it *should* be safe. But I also have a CO detector mounted and I keep the window open a crack.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz