Nobo 10.6 vs InTech explore

Agfadoc

I just pulled the trigger on the Explore... site unseen... It's a standard 1 tip out kitchen, foxwing, lift They want to use it for an upcoming RV show at the end of the month... Will tow with a Chevy Colorado v6 with tow package, which can pull way more, I just don't want to tow way more.
I was going to build a cargo trailer out but I have no time for that...
So I was thinking of putting the dometic inside, put my yamaha 2400 generator in the slide space, they are just about the same size. I won't know until I get it, but will just use a Wave 6 or buddy heater if needed initially.

I was thinking of using the ramp as a patio- Get like a Thule straight awning coming off the back... huh...the possibilities are endless.
Will have to find a cover for winter, but man... I am excited!

Grassland

Just found a company called Trail Marker Outdoors that makes a trailer more along the lines of the discontinued tall trailer that Dreadlocks has, but so far no tip outs.
Can have awning style lift rear door, or ramp door.
Plus they have a smaller one for offroad that's more the Explore size.

dreadlocks

its been over 2 months since I used mine, I'm itching to get it back out..

My only concern about genny on the slideout is exhaust seeping into the cabin, if you search on ebay you can find kits that weld on a bung so you can use flexible exhaust extensions.. mebe you can run an exhaust stack up to the roof rack or dump it under the trailer where air flows better..

We were camping in Redwoods many years back, we start hearing a faint beeping noise in camp.. I go off and take a shower and find the source of the beeping was coming from a big RV with a genny running right by the front door.. go up and can hear its an alarm from inside so I beat on the door, took a few mins but I got an old retiree to come to the door.. he had been sleeping, and his carbon monoxide alarm was going off and he could not hear it.. he complained of trouble breathing all day long so I got the park ranger, and they took him out of there in an ambulance.. dude was lucky I needed to take a shower or he'd of been dead.. he came back the next day and we checked in on him regularly while we were there and moved his generator as far away as we could get it.

since then I been pretty paranoid about running my own generator, I carry a 100ft extension cord so I can hide it out in the woods and not hear/smell it.. my plan has been to get one of those lockdown security plates, weld it to a hitch step and carry it on the back receiver.. then I can just chain that hitch step to a tree/rock in the woods and it wont add any weight to the tongue.. ultimately I want enough solar on the roof that the generator only gets used when the dogs need air conditioning.

I've been wanting an awning off the back, I kinda want a batwing that swings to the drivers side. we've used it as a patio and I've ran a tarp off it for shade a few times.. Need to get a screen door for the ramp first.. I also like that the tipout provides a nice protected area outside, we put the firewood, kids bikes, lawn chairs, stroller, under the tipouts and they stay nice and dry without having to load em up..

Agfadoc

I agree about generator exhaust and intended to only use the space to store the unit.

After reviewing many videos of the 2019 Intech Explore model in comparison to the 2018, they look like they made some big changes. I'll find out on Tuesday when I go to see it.

This is the latest 2019 model from what I can see

1. The 20lb propane bottle and regulator doesn't appear to be on the tongue and the burner stove is a single 1lb bottle attachment below the stove. Hence the new cubby pockets under.
Propane bottle.JPG
2. The Stereo is a Din style moved to the lower cabinet above the converter along with the speakers
3. The storage box up front
4. The stove appears to be a different stove, higher output? Its a Dometic, but not identified in the Dometic lineup, so I can't be sure yet
5. the removable kitchen table is a solid piece instead of a folding down wire leg support.
6. Upper storage area has larger openings

I'm not sure I like the missing Propane tank. I can always add one, and a regulator, but for now it will be fine. I do want to plumb in a Wave heater as I am in WI and it is chilly in Spring and Fall.

Agfadoc

I've been wanting an awning off the back, I kinda want a batwing that swings to the drivers side. we've used it as a patio and I've ran a tarp off it for shade a few times.. Need to get a screen door for the ramp first.. I also like that the tipout provides a nice protected area outside, we put the firewood, kids bikes, lawn chairs, stroller, under the tipouts and they stay nice and dry without having to load em up..

I see that they didn't make a screen kit for the Discover, I will be ordering the screen kit for the Explore
Explore Screen Kit

It would be nice to add another Batwing to the other side and have a full surround.. maybe not for $700 but It would cover the ramp area on the explore like this:

Double Batwing.jpg

That would be cool...

Agfadoc

My new Explore arrived yesterday to the dealer, they gave me a pretty good deal so they could use it for an RV show next weekend, so I am going to go see it today and take plenty of pictures... It's almost like loaning it to a friend.. (you had better be more than just a friend). Everyone touching my new toy.. man...
I think I read somewhere that you need to wet down the bed material so the fabric can shrink to be waterproof... Are there instructions on that when you get it?

dreadlocks

Congrats! Get used to everyone wanting to checkout yer trailer.. I didnt think aluminum was magnetic but i'll be damned if it dont attract a lot of lookie loos

yeah it comes with warranty cards for tipouts that has instructions, mine had been on dealer lot for over a year and this had already happened, naturally or not.. the cards were faded (they were left in the screen).

Wife and I started planning this season last night, going to take it out for a week over spring break to visit the Grand Canyon for the first trip of the year.. about to pickup a 50cc KTM for my oldest boy, better get my DR350 fixed or start looking for a replacement.

STREGA

Explorer
Congrats! Get used to everyone wanting to checkout yer trailer.. I didnt think aluminum was magnetic but i'll be damned if it dont attract a lot of lookie loos

yeah it comes with warranty cards for tipouts that has instructions, mine had been on dealer lot for over a year and this had already happened, naturally or not.. the cards were faded (they were left in the screen).

Wife and I started planning this season last night, going to take it out for a week over spring break to visit the Grand Canyon for the first trip of the year.. about to pickup a 50cc KTM for my oldest boy, better get my DR350 fixed or start looking for a replacement.

Too bad Intech doesn't make your model anymore it's what I like/need. Going down to Phoenix in a few days to check out Intech trailers at Tom's Camperland looks like they have a Explore in stock as well as a couple of Pursues and Lunas. They look interesting don't know if they will work for us or not, also kinda like the Sol but there not readily available yet.

If you make it down to the Canyon maybe we could meet up while you are here, would like to do a little "lookie loo" at your trailer.

dreadlocks

seems we are planning on visiting the north rim right after the camps open up for the season, we are going to swing through arches and zion on the way.. If you can get across to the other side your welcome to check it out, I'll try to remember to DM yeh once we've concreted the plans..

I too am disappointed in the loss of the Discover, seems like it was a space issue on their assembly line.. mebe with a few more years of growth they can expand their facilities and bring it back.. alot of ppl want em now (seems a dozen ppl on this forum wanted one) but they did a crap job of advertising em.. cant believe mine sat on a lot for a whole year without getting purchased, I have a feeling they didnt make more than a dozen of em and most of em were still on market when I bought mine.. they still had some on lots 6mo after they 'discontinued' em.. just nobody knew about em, took me almost a year to find it and my i'm a master blackbelt at GoogleFU.

Agfadoc

I am 5'10" and would have loved the Discover, I looked at them early last year and came close, thinking they would be here this year.. Nope, eh life lesson 38,462...

I have to bend my head to stand in the Explore, but I don't plan on staying in it long enough to be a problem. I love the idea of teardrops, but I'm an old dude, my knees wouldn't like it and my bucket list buddy would have to have his own.

I think the Explore fits a good balance. Solid to the core, not enough stuff to have to repair like in my 10 year old popup... which was an awesome popup, it had everything... . As I get older and find myself working all the time, I am in search of the easy button. I think it fits that need where the simplicity is better than the complexity. That's what the outdoors means to me anyway.

dreadlocks

I'm 6'4 and quite prize the ability to stand up, I rented a camper that didnt have full height doors and I concussed my self carrying a pot of boiling water to the sink.. ugh that coulda ended alot worse than it did, luckily i can take a hit to the dome heh.. I've got alot family in the PNW and have spent a week solid stuck in a tent because of rain, that kinda steered me away from teardrops, as they would be little better as far as comfort those circumstances.. popups simply did not have the required floor space for my 120lb Pyrenees, originally I had my heart set on an A-Liner hard sided popup, til I showed it to my wife and she pointed out there was no place for dogs to turn around let alone sleep.. also all the ones with toy hauler decks would be so tongue heavy to require a 3/4ton+ truck.

I looked at an explore before I put deposit down on discover sight unseen, I really liked everything about it but the extra headroom and tandem axle made the discover a no brainer.. it checked off everything and then some.. fits my tow vehicle perfectly, and its been virtually trouble free.. feels so roomy compared to anything I've ever seen, even growing up my dad had a 30ft TT and it felt smaller.. Feels like we got a cabin in the woods, if I had to spend a week trapped inside reading books I would still consider the expedition a total success :)

I've got a 75 Westfallia project we took out for a few seasons when first was just born, but I realized my kids were growing up too quickly and the safety/reliability on that thing is questionable at best.. so instead of spending the money fixing that all up in a hurry I opted for a camper trailer.. I'll take smaller chunks out of the Westy project and we'll revert to it when we have an empty nest and simpler needs.

Last edited:

STREGA

Explorer
seems we are planning on visiting the north rim right after the camps open up for the season, we are going to swing through arches and zion on the way.. If you can get across to the other side your welcome to check it out, I'll try to remember to DM yeh once we've concreted the plans..

I too am disappointed in the loss of the Discover, seems like it was a space issue on their assembly line.. mebe with a few more years of growth they can expand their facilities and bring it back.. alot of ppl want em now (seems a dozen ppl on this forum wanted one) but they did a crap job of advertising em.. cant believe mine sat on a lot for a whole year without getting purchased, I have a feeling they didnt make more than a dozen of em and most of em were still on market when I bought mine.. they still had some on lots 6mo after they 'discontinued' em.. just nobody knew about em, took me almost a year to find it and my i'm a master blackbelt at GoogleFU.

Might be able to get to the North Rim, just depends on work schedule. We love to go over to the north side so much calmer than the south rim. Even though it's only about 10-15 miles away as the Condor flies it's a 4+ hour drive to get there, but most everything is a 4 hour drive away, the Grand Canyon is fairly remote. Also recommend camping outside the park in the forest service lands tons of places to camp for free, our favorite spot is in the forest on the rim.

Being 6' tall the Discover would be great for me which is why I'am not sure the Explore will work being only 5'9" in interior height. My thought on how I want to set up the Explorer is to order one without tip outs and with barn doors instead of a ramp. Then build a permanent bed with storage under the bed with access from the front (inside) as well as the rear thru the barn doors. I do like the fact that this layout allows for windows on both sides of the trailer as well as on the barn doors which will reduce the claustrophobic effect and allow being able to enjoy the view outside during inclement weather which seems to always happen about half the time we go camping. Also wanting to eliminate all the origami so many trailers/pop ups etc. require, no more tent material or moving parts for me. The Luna Rover model might work as well, we did own a home built teardrop about 10 years ago and for the most part liked the concept but being a home built unit it had some flaws. The Luna Rover addresses most of the issues we had with ours, one being the large window on the front the other being a much larger cabin. It also comes with a couple things I don't want like a TV and AC. Guess I will know in a couple days if one of these will work for us or if I need to continue my search.

xaman

Thanks for all have contributed to this helpful thread. For you Intech owners, can you power the AC with a Honda 2000 generator?

I am drooling at an Explore, deliberating between one with or without the tipout bed. I’d prefer the tipout for space, seems helpful and comfortable, but I’m seeing some used units without the bed for around 10-11k, whereas the tipout units are still around 15k (used prices). I don’t need the slide out kitchen and in fact would prefer the storage space instead. Wondering if I can live without it for $5k.

Thoughts or advice appreciated.

dreadlocks

I've got a 2200 Honda and it runs the aircon just fine, I'm pretty sure a 2k would do it also..

The thing about tipout for us is provides quick and easy place to sleep, fully loaded.. like pull over in a big parking lot when you get tired, sleep for a few hours and hit the road again.. If you have to take stuff out of the cargo hold to setup your bed.. where are you gonna put that stuff? If you can setup a bed and storage for all your stuff permanently in the space provided then you might not need a tipout and then your hard-sided which is easier to heat and better in bear country.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne