Nobo 10.6 vs InTech explore

Jeepnick

Hello
Looking for opinions if anyone has any real world experience in either once of these trailers
I was about to pull the trigger on a nobo 10.6 but the slide out beds on the InTech explore intrigue me
I do have a roof top tent already
And was planning on using it with the nobo but togo the Intech route I could ditch the rtt
Any advice is appreciated
Thanks
Btw
I have 3 kids that will sometimes be with me

ratled

Adventurer
Also consider the VRV Flyer and Runaway's 6' wide Range Runner - @6' you can sleep sideways or have mini bunks

ottsville

Observer
Having owned another Forest River product, I would stay away from the NoBo. The quality is not great for what you are spending. The RV industry is hot right now and manufacturers, in an industry that was already plagued by poor workmanship, are understaffed and still building campers as fast as they can to capture the current demand. I don't know about InTech, but I have seen a VRV product up close and was impressed.

dreadlocks

My wife and I nearly bought a Forest River Wolf Pup, but instead found the InTech at the last moment.. build quality is night and day difference.. InTech is aluminum framed and has axle-less suspension.. I've been pretty amazed that after roaring down a washboard road with a tandem axle trailer everything inside is exactly where I left it, even the stuff just sitting on the counter unsecured.

was going to spend ~$13k for the forrest river, the intech I got for $22k and it was worth every dollar more IMHO.. my 7yro and 1yro sons have been loving the hell out of it.. had it out about 8 times this summer, and I still have a few more trips planned before the year is up.

Jeepnick

My wife and I nearly bought a Forest River Wolf Pup, but instead found the InTech at the last moment.. build quality is night and day difference.. InTech is aluminum framed and has axle-less suspension.. I've been pretty amazed that after roaring down a washboard road with a tandem axle trailer everything inside is exactly where I left it, even the stuff just sitting on the counter unsecured.

was going to spend ~$13k for the forrest river, the intech I got for $22k and it was worth every dollar more IMHO.. my 7yro and 1yro sons have been loving the hell out of it.. had it out about 8 times this summer, and I still have a few more trips planned before the year is up.
22k wow did you get the discontinued discover model? I do like the construction and axle on the intech.

dreadlocks

yeah mine is a Discover, they discontinued it right after we bought ours.. they were hard to find so I bought mine sight unseen after crawling around and inspecting the quality on an explore that a local dealer had.

The fridge sucks, it pulls 4A non stop and barely keeps food cold.. the crap battery it came with would hardly run a day off it, and it overheated in that location and shutdown ruining our food.. The power source is not hardwired (just a cig plug), also had an instance where some gear in the kitchen cabinet slid around and unplugged the fridge... I gave up, yanked it out and have an Engel MT80 coming on Tuesday.. Its going inside under the sliding window and I'm going to put a sink where the fridge used to be.. The only thing it didnt have that my wife really wanted was a sink, I'll put a pump and pantry under the sink and have it drain right through the bottom into a fire bucket.. just hook up a normal 7g water can and go.. might add a hot water heater since it'll be outside anyhow.

Other than that the other issues I've had was one speaker cut out, took 5mins to take it out and reseat the wiring and its been fine since.. the FM reception sucks, there is an antenna hidden somewhere between the body panels (an antenna wire disappears into the wall) but I get alot of static in town picking up strong stations.. camping I cant find anything.. I filled up a thumb drive with music and im mostly over it, but we went to the pikes peak hill climb and it'd of been nice to tune into the race on the radio.. so I'm likely going to add an external antenna eventually.

Felt like it was kinda of a downgrade on the stove at first, its an indoor burner (even though its outdoors) so the output is limited for safety reasons.. compared to my camp chef stove it took a long time to boil water, but we've gotten used to it, and come to find out the lower heat output is easier to cook on honestly.. yeah it takes longer to boil water but its not burning eggs on its lowest setting either.. had to rig up a wind block though.. I still carry the old stove around incase we need more output or burners, but its not been used once all season.

now onto the things I absolutely love about it,
I love the roof racks, will be so easy to install tons of solar that wont catch shade from AC or Power Vent and I have a place to carry fuel cans externally..
I love the AirCon.. it kept my camper 68F all this last weekend in Kansas where it was hot (mid 90's) and humid (50% RH).. its not a high output one but it still does very well and runs just fine off my Honda 2200 generator without needing a soft start.. The Electric Heat strips are not the greatest, I'm going to install an in-wall electric space heater to make up for it.
I love the high ceilings, I'm 6'4 and even the aircon vents dont come close to hitting my head.. didnt like the low roof in the explore honestly.. I tried a short camper and got tired of the concussions (usually the door).
I love the wider than normal entry door, I can take a pack-n-play in and out without tearing it down..
I love that it has no bathroom or plumbing worries, finding a large camper w/out a toilet was way too hard, to us its a bunch of dead weight that takes up alot of space, turns out its cheaper to insure a camper w/no plumbing..
I also loved that it was minimally outfitted, I gotta install my own battery monitor that is great quality (Victron) instead of some dumb display that tells you little, I getta install my own propane heater that is quiet, and sips on electricity and propane (Propex) instead of a cheap one like the forrest river that will empty a propane tank and battery in quick order... Most campers come with crap appliances IMHO, like the fridge that came with the Intech.. good in theory but worthless in the field..
I love the wheels are external, easy to see when driving and if one blows out its not going to take anything but the fender with it.. the Intech is skinny enough I dont need towing mirrors on my SUV..
I love the suspension and clearance (with no plumbing, no axles and independent wheels w/shock absorbing built in its quite capable on rough terrain)..
I love how roomy it feels with the popouts out, suddenly your trailer becomes as wide as it is long (or wider in your case)
I love that its simple yet so functional, and looks so good too..
I love that my boys and I can get some toys now and take em with us.

Last edited:

Jeepnick

Nice! Jealous of the discover
Appreciate the real world comments
I’ve had an aev fridge for 12 years was interested to see if the dometic was worthwhile or not

i64X

I know this is an old thread but with so few information out about both of these trailers someone (like me when I was searching) might find this via a search, so I'll add my two cents.

I looked hard at both of these trailers, side by side in the same lot. I went to look at the Nobo first, which is what drew me to the lot. I have a JL Wrangler Rubicon, which only has a 3500 lb towing capacity, so my options for trailers is extremely limited. Still, I wanted something that I could camp in with the wife and two small kids, and though that the Nobo 10.6 was a cool solution. It didn't have enough room to sleep all of us, but I was - like you - planning on throwing an RTT on it and letting the kids sleep up there. I'm sue they would have loved it.

Negatives Re: The NoBo

When I pawed around the Nobo I noticed a few things immediately. The first is the small size of the rear door. It's only a 50" opening, so that drastically limits what "toys" you can put in it if you plan on doing that. I've got a Yamaha Grizzly on 27" tires and it measures 52" at the tallest part of the handlebars. I also have a cargo carrier on the back for storing helmets and things, and that's right around 58". I would have to remove my carrier and air the tires way down every time I wanted to put the quad in the Nobo... that is, if I could even get it in. The rear entry ramp is STEEP since the trailer is so high off the ground and the ramp is so short. It was like a 40 degree angle to the ground when the trailer was sitting level. Since there's literally 0" to spare, forget riding the quad up in to the trailer. Not gonna happen. I'm sure 2 or 3 good sized guys could manually shove it up in there, but if you wanted to do it alone... not gonna happen. If you have a dirt bike, forget it... unless it's something really small like a Yamaha TW200. A WR450, for example, won't fit. Considering they market it as a "toy hauler" this was a big negative to me.

The second issue I had with it was the build quality. I immediately noticed when the sales person put the rear ramp down that the opening around the rear door were somewhat crushed (for lack of better term) where the mechanisms used to keep the door closed were located. I wish I would have taken a picture since it's kinda hard to explain what I mean, but because of this issue I questioned the water tightness of the door... especially over time, given the fact that the engineered tolerances weren't great at all. I also noticed that one of the handles that closes to lock the rear door in to place was broken and it was obvious that the handle was made of pot metal. All of the handles and closing mechanisms on the rear door and tip-out of the Flyer are steel and are very strong.

The third thing that I thought was a pretty big oversight was the floor storage compartment, which is in front of the "couch" when it's folded up. It's cool that the Nobo has floor storage, even though it's not very big, but the cover that covers it is not fixed in place or on any sort of hinges and is just supposed to lay over the storage compartment. When we were looking around in the trailer this cover was constantly sliding around and coming out of place and it seemed like an afterthought design-wise. I can see getting pissed/frustrated over time and either ditching the cover completely, losing it, or having to come up with some other solution.

Adding to the cheapness in build quality, there are two vents on the road-side of the 10.6 that are supposed to pop out. These are very cheap plastic and when the sales guy was showing them to us he was being overly cautious with them because I could tell he thought he was going to break them trying to pop them open. If you go and look at one, check these and the floor storage cover out and you'll see what I mean.

The under-side of the NoBo is "finished" with what can only be described as a plastic cardboard type of material. Think the same thing that political yard signs are made of. Because of this you can't see anything under the trailer when you look up at it from the bottom. If you tap on this material though you will see that it moves a lot and makes a lot of noise when it moves. I can't imagine that this doesn't flap around when you're going down the road, making all sorts of noise. I also question the long term reliability of it. It just felt cheap.

Fit and finish of the interior was extremely cheap as well. There were little trim pieces that were screwed in to the wall above each of the side exit doors. I backed in to one and hit it with my elbow when we were looking around inside and it literally fell off the wall. The screws that held it on were only protruding about 5mm from the board, which isn't much, and it was immediately obvious that it wasn't screwed in to anything of substance, just the thin wall board material. I would have preferred that they just left these things off, since they serve no real purpose, don't look that nice, and it's obvious that they are just going to fall off anyway, leaving two or three holes in the wall.

i64X

Positives Re: The NoBo

The negatives far outweigh the positives on the NoBo for me, but there were some positives. Unlike the Flyer Explore, the NoBo 10.6 does have onboard water storage. There is a hose near where the kitchen pops out on the side that you can use to cook with or spray off yourself or the quad that you can't fit in the back. This is a good idea. On the flip-side though, it is more expensive to insure a trailer with plumbing vs one without plumbing. If onboard water is really important to you, you aren't going to get it with the Flyer Explore.

The second thing I liked about the NoBo was the wheel and tire package. I just think that the all-black wheels look better than the off-road package wheels that come with the Flyer Explore. That is just personal preference though and I'll probably just paint the wheels that come with my Flyer Explore when I take delivery anyway, so it'll be a non-issue.

I also like the fact that the fenders on the NoBo are made to be stood on when accessing things on the roof. I don't think the Flyer Explore fenders are meant to stand on just because of how they're attached, though I could be wrong.

Positives Re: The Flyer Explore

It is IMMEDIATELY apparent that the Flyer Explore has higher build quality in all respects vs the NoBo. Bonus that the entire frame of the structure is aluminum and each connection is welded all the way around. This means that the larger Flyer Explore is only slightly heavier than the NoBo WITH the tip-out and the interior is much larger. I think it's actually lighter than the NoBo if you don't opt for the tip-out. There's no problem riding a quad up in to the back of the Explore, though you'll have to duck going in. Since the rear opening is much larger (66" vs 50") that means the angle on the rear door when used as a ramp isn't quite so ridiculous either, even when optioned with the off-road tires and the lift kit as mine is.

The Explore can be optioned with some nice things as well, including a built-in stereo that's already wired to 12V. In 2018 and older models they used to do a small around Jensen stereo that wasn't great, but as of 2019 they're doing a full din-sized stereo, which means you can easily upgrade it if you wish. In the NoBo you can option a JBL Bluetooth speaker and a little plastic hook to put it on the wall, but no real stereo. The built-in stereo is nice when it comes to wiring up a TV though, which the Explore is pre-wired to accommodate (either 12V or 110V). I found a $115 Element 1080P monitor with an HDMI input at Walmart that I'll be mounting to the wall in the Explore, in conjunction with a Raspberry Pi for games and movies, and I can get sound through the factory stereo, which will be cool.

If you're short, the 16" difference in interior height when going from the NoBo to the Explore can be a big deal, since someone my height (5'9") can ALMOST stand up in the Explore. Granted, most of the time spent in these will probably be sitting or sleeping, but when you look at them side by side, the Explore feels MUCH bigger inside, especially if equipped with the tip-out.

As mentioned above, the Explore when equipped with the tip-out can accommodate 2 adults on the tip-out and two on a queen-sized air mattress on the floor, thus negating the need for a roof tent to sleep extra people. You CAN equip the Explore with a roof tent, but the weight rating on the rack is limited to 300 pounds, so it's likely a one-adult affair. If you have kids that want to sleep up there that's an option, although now that I can have them sleep inside on the floor that saves me $1500-$2500 since I don't have to buy the RTT.

Another cool feature of the Explore is the 2" hitch receiver on the back. This allows you to put an aluminum carrier back there and haul a few totes, some bicycles, your generator, etc. with you. They rate this at 200 pounds, so you could pile up a few totes full of stuff, strap a waterproof bag around them, and have a lot of extra storage say your Explore is full up with an ATV or a couple of dirt bikes.

I also like the fact that the fox-wing awning on the Explore covers the kitchen area when it's open. Since the kitchen is outside, it's kinda nice to be able to cook in the rain without getting wet and having your food rained on. On the NoBo, the kitchen slider is behind a door. On the Explore, there is no door, which gives you the ability to have additional food prep space via the included extra counter section that packs away on top of the fridge, giving you an L-shaped kitchen whereby your prep surface, fridge, and stove are all immediately accessible. On the NoBo the stove is on the end of the pull-out and faces away from the trailer, so there's no real prep surface to speak of without walking around a lot. The whole kitchen is just more well thought out on the Explore.

Lastly, the Flyer is available in 4 color options, which I like since the silver option matches my Wrangler. :)

Conclusion

I know this is a rather large write-up that may never get read, but I just though I'd share my thoughts on the two since I recently went through this decision process myself. This segment is becoming more and more popular as well so I can see the potential for a lot more people attempting to find information on this in the coming year, and to be honest there really isn't a lot of information out there about either of these options, as they're a very niche segment. I ended up going with the Explore for all of the reasons above, and even when optioned to the max the Explore was still nearly the same price as the NoBo out the door at my local dealer. I custom ordered mine with the exact options I wanted and I take delivery in 2 days. I can't wait. Intech really hit it out of the park with these cool little campers, and I can see the price going up as the segment heats up so if you're looking, now might be a good time to snap one up.

Last edited:

i64X

Just an update - picked up my Explore. It matches the Jeep better than I hoped it would. Having spent a few days with this thing, I still absolutely love it. I can't wait for spring so I can actually use it. ;)(y)

jeep.jpg

dreadlocks

awesome, looks great.. might look into putting some tow bags on that rubi, looks like its a lil squatty and these toy haulers tend to be heavier on the tongue than you'd expect.. (im at about 20% currently).. I had em on my last vehicle that was not really designed for towing and loved em so much I hadda get a full air suspension on the next tow vehicle.

thats the color I wanted, but I didnt get a choice on that.. I like those have fender guards on em, I smashed mine into a road cone and now its a lil messed up.. u could kill a whole family of road cones with those step-guards.

Last edited:

Agfadoc

Awesome write up, I have been going back and forth on the Nobo vs Intech for months without being able to see the Intech Explore. I noticed that the Nobo has that rubber roof material that looks like it will require some serious maintenance over time, I love the looks of the nobo, it would fit in my garage, and has the small water capacity, but I can build in a water system or just bring a 5 gallon jug with me on the Intech and put a cover on it for the winter.

The additional height and the drop out bed is the real reason I want the Explore, that leaves the entire floor for another mattress allowing a buddy to come along. I am thinking of the Road shower 4s and a Thetford toilet for necessities only. Should be more than enough.

Anyone know the insulation type of the Intech Explorer? I think the Rover has the bubble foil insulation according to their facebook reveal, but I haven't seen it in person. Would be great to know.

Thanks for all the info everyone!

dreadlocks

its got Reflectix insulation aswell.. my discover does, I believe all intech's do.. I got some extra to insulate the tipout beds

you wont be able to tell this without taking outlet covers and stuff off.

and trust me when I say run away from everything forest river, unless you intend on using it 3-4 times and then letting it rot in your back yard for a decade or two before hauling it off for scrap.. and if thats the case, go rent a friggin airstream 3-4 times and u'll still have saved a ton of money.. putting it in your garage wont prevent it from falling apart with all the shortcuts they took..

Running water is over-rated, just raises your insurance, maintance and isint as space saving as you'd think.. if FR says it can hold 20 gallons, your lucky to get 15 gallon capacity because they use voodoo or something to keep you from ever getting that much.. you search their own forums and nobody can get advertised capacity out of any model.. Also you cant move water tanks, so if your too tongue heavy and the tank is up front you might not be able to use it.. whereas you can strap down water jugs as ballast wherever its needed, actually use it to take weight off the tongue by putting it in the back, or put it right over the axle where a couple hundred pounds of fluid weight travels best.. You can also replace jugs if they get contaminated or start tasting bad, your onboard tanks will forever taste like plastic cistern water, any chemicals you add you'll never be certain you flushed out completely.. lastly you dont need to carry around a hose and move your trailer to refill water, you can toss your jugs into your TV and drive all the way into town if needed without packing up camp, which allows you to travel lighter and acquire water as needed instead of towing with tanks full.

Last edited:

Agfadoc

So my local guy is an intech dealer and I am asking for pricing on the Explore with double doors with 2 popout beds. Will see what it will take to get one. Thanks Dreadlocks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz