Noah's tarp and zip wall poles

AML

Adventurer
I have an REI gift card and was thinking of picking up the Kelty Noah's tarp 16. I have a couple zipwall poles and was wondering if anyone has successfully used them for car camping? I plan on getting better poles in the future but just wanted to see if anyone has had any success with them. BTW they raise up 12'

tarditi

Explorer
the noah's tarps are good, but there may be better options for car camping imho - the catenary cut is more for making peak-type shelters versus just an awning-type one.

I had a 12 and trading down to a 9 for hammock hanging.

Honu

lost on the mainland
curious why not get a actual hammock tarp then ?
since I am now hanging I can kinda see the idea behind the for hammock style setups ?
seen some that do the 12 then run it square to get the doors

the noah's tarps are good, but there may be better options for car camping imho - the catenary cut is more for making peak-type shelters versus just an awning-type one.

I had a 12 and trading down to a 9 for hammock hanging.

Honu

lost on the mainland
no idea what zip wall poles are is that a dry wall pole ? as long as they are strong enough can't see why not :) height could be good :)
as tarditi mentioned the cut makes them a bit sloppy if pitched anyway other than what they are done for but can be done and work

the downside to me is they are hotter under in some ways than without ? non UV ? but it offers sun protection and rain protection
I have the 16 and have used it in various forms with 2 and 4 pole setups for the price they are OK and I am happy with it on sale price
I do want a nice snow peak one day soon but waiting on a non imported model to be imported :) so also check out the snow peak tarps the UV etc... works quite well with there stuff

4 pole setup to corners
2014-08-30_(16-25-22).jpg

or two poles
attachment.php

not my pic but another idea for a 4 pole
IMG_1115.jpg

my 4 pole pitch is kinda like that but I only bring down the two edges toward the sun side and leave the others edges loose so I get more head room

get better stakes !!!! get some snow peak or other high quality stake so you can tighten it up some that way when a breeze comes along it won't come loose as easy

I have an REI gift card and was thinking of picking up the Kelty Noah's tarp 16. I have a couple zipwall poles and was wondering if anyone has successfully used them for car camping? I plan on getting better poles in the future but just wanted to see if anyone has had any success with them. BTW they raise up 12'

Last edited:

AML

Adventurer
Thank you for the reply. The zipwall poles are used for putting up plastic sheeting to contain dust during construction in a building. My concern with them is the spring loaded head on them. I am worried that the spring might in the wind might make the pole collapse.

My idea behind the tarp really is to have a dry place for the camp kitchen. I really like some of the things I have seen you do. I can't quite afford all of of the great ideas on here but I am trying. Over all I am happy with what we have so far. Really just need a shelter for the kitchen and an Aqua cube or something similar for hot water.

Btw I know this question has probably been asked a million times but what is the best way to post pictures in a thread? Do I still need to have the photos saved to a server and if so which one is a good option?

Thanks!

Honu

lost on the mainland
You can upload photos here to your gallery but best to host them somewhere then link them even some of the free hosting site will work

Honu

lost on the mainland
We have a Coleman hot water heater might sell it ? It's nice and handy for sure but trying to carry less and less
Great tip was get a chafing dish deep square one put it on the burner heat it up that way it's a dishpan etc.... Or wash face etc....
My metal one fits inside my plastic one but might ditch the plastic one in the near future use two metal ones ?
Till you can afford one works just as well really

One thing that is working awesome and we love is our water setup took the idea from river raft guides
Basically a syphon pump with nozzle on one end stick the other in a water jug
Reasons I am loving it is our kids can easily use it and often when I want to wash my hands they are dirty prefer not to touch anything so using your foot to pump water is easier also we use less water as it's easy to control the volume
In those pics you can see our water jug is black in the sun heats up pretty good
For showers just pour hot water in the black one till I am happy if it's full pour out heat put back in raise the temp pretty quick really

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/127051-primer-bulb-water-system?highlight=Pump

Last edited:

AML

Adventurer
I ended up getting 2 silicone collapsing tubs so I could do dishes. I liked the ones made by Companion in Australia but couldn't find a retailer here in the states so I went with another company. The metal pan seems like a good idea but for simplicity I will probably stick with the 2 tubs. I do like the foot pump idea. Do you have to buy the tubing and foot pump separately or does someone sell a kit already made up? I think that might tide me over until next summer.

Honu

lost on the mainland
they sell a kit but DIY IMHO pretty easy to do
the one thing I am going to be doing to mine is changing to silicone tubing so there is no memory to it

http://search.nrs.com/boating/Hand Wash Pump

that one has a really nice pump like I want to get and the pumps run about $40 for that style so the made up kit is really not to bad a deal ? they used to be about $99 but at that price with the hardware not to bad :)

even if you end up with a hot water heater the pump thing is really really handy as I say to conserve water and just handy for dirty hands to not have to touch anything
one thing we did when we brought both for rinsing off etc... was to just dump the hot water pick up into the jerry can and then put the output back in also and just recirculate till it was the desired temp then used the foot pump to wash the kids :)

AML

Adventurer
they sell a kit but DIY IMHO pretty easy to do
the one thing I am going to be doing to mine is changing to silicone tubing so there is no memory to it

http://search.nrs.com/boating/Hand Wash Pump

that one has a really nice pump like I want to get and the pumps run about $40 for that style so the made up kit is really not to bad a deal ? they used to be about $99 but at that price with the hardware not to bad :)

even if you end up with a hot water heater the pump thing is really really handy as I say to conserve water and just handy for dirty hands to not have to touch anything
one thing we did when we brought both for rinsing off etc... was to just dump the hot water pick up into the jerry can and then put the output back in also and just recirculate till it was the desired temp then used the foot pump to wash the kids :)

Thank you. I am going to look into this. Thanks for the idea

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94