No refrigeration needed

frans

Adventurer
Part of the fun of consuming these nasty, old C-rats was they often had no labels on the OD cans (these were so ancient that the labels had come off of them), so each meal started out as a mystery and was a complete surprise until you opened up the cans with your included P-38, to discover whatever delight was in them.

We called them 'man cans'
What you opened, you ate lol

PPCLI_Jim

Adventurer
I wasn't in the military back then, but I did join the Canadian Forces in 87. Med retirement in 2013, so I've had my share of rations. Brit, French Norwegian, German, US, and of course Cdn. What a spread of taste and quality,I did 3 of 5 tours eating whatever came in the box or bag not enjoyable.

trae

Adventurer
CLICK HERE
Here's a fairly simple way to do individual portions

That’s pretty cool. I wonder what the shelf life is with no desiccant packets. It’ll probably last a camping season a figure. Great idea. Could do the same with pasta or dehydrated potatoes instead of rice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PPCLI_Jim

Adventurer
That’s pretty cool. I wonder what the shelf life is with no desiccant packets. It’ll probably last a camping season a figure. Great idea. Could do the same with pasta or dehydrated potatoes instead of rice.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, without other methods this is about a 1 year shelf life. I've already done fully prepped and dehydrated spaghetti and chili, so I'm looking for other meals , ie some chicken or beef slices. Potatoes already come in the bags, so its simply pour out 1/2 and start cooking. Thanks for checking it out!

Alloy

Always bought skim milk powder but recently bought whole milk powder from Medallion Milk. What an improvement.

PPCLI_Jim

Adventurer
Same I use it for baking and cooking. It will improve the taste over me putting a little butter in to make it have the same flavor .

geojag

Nestle Nido milk, often found in the Hispanic grocery section, is decent and widely available.

Also, honey is always good to have and never goes bad.

Ragman

I posted this on another topic but think that it fits here well also. We did a fair bit of dehydrating meals before a month long trip last year and we put up a quick video showing how we did it and the resources we used. Have a look if you think it would be helpful. We have also used a lot of dried milk, dry mustard etc that can be reconstituted at the camp site.

PPCLI_Jim

Adventurer
That looks awesome! I'm really thinking hard about a freeze dryer. But at 5 k I'm looking to see if other people are interested in going in on a purchase

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles