No more Toyotas

805gregg

Adventurer
I have to wonder if you can't design the speed control on your vehicles, what about the other design issues?

Explorer
Apparently Toyota Cambridge & Woodstock Ont. plants are keeping the hourly's working on, for in-plant projects and training. Woodstock was in the process of ramping up the second shift for the Rav4 line.

I work for a parts supplier for Toyota. Our work ground to a halt at 2pm.

LOL... this is a new job for me.
I came from a parts supplier for GM and Ford. That gig went south before the depression hit. Our work was sent down to Mexico. The corp. filed for chapter 11, emerged, the Mexican plants took a $1hr concession from their $3 wage, workers became disgruntled and management quit (go figure!)... Now the work that was sent down there, is coming back to my former plant. Apparently based on our performance and quality... OMFG! what a waist of time and money, meanwhile 1/2 of the plant took a severance. There's going to be a lot of P.O. former employees, many of which are working ****ty jobs due to the economy. But thats the game we play. :coffee:
So, now I'm on layoff from 2 jobs. :lurk:

No worries, once Toyota ramps up job #2 will be super busy, meanwhile job #1 will ramp up in April, I'll get my seniority back, holidays and pension.. 15yrs worth. Job #2, I have zero.

It's all timing. The industry is cyclical, in order to survive the auto worker has to roll with the punches. It's always been that way, that will never change.

Interesting :)

kweetech

Observer
Lose your *** when the price goes to 0. Who would buy a possible death trap? It's not buzz when 19 people die.

hmm..firestone still sells a lot of tires. I still see Ford Explorers on the road. Life goes on.
people die in every car on the road...how many are from failed parts? mechanical things break..fact. You take your life in your hands everyday when you wake up.
Anyway..I've heard that 19 people is an exaggerated number as well...

MGRS

<snip>

we had an old buick that liked to do this. the throttle would stick and start going crazy. Find "N" - cut the ignition and pull over, unstick throttle, get back underway.

people are dumb : (

I had a Ford Ranger plagued with constant IAC problems that would do this all the time. Taking your foot off the gas would bring it to 4k RPM. I guess it was the closest thing to cruise control that pickup ever had....

Clutch, flick the shift lever to "n," turn the ignition, and coast to the shoulder. That was my first reaction and the runaway idle never caused any harm.

I agree that the AT has divorced people somewhat from the driving process. My former room mate had no idea how to drive a MT and thought the park brake on his Envoy was redundant.

AlexJet

Explorer
By the way, this wouldn't happen in a standard shift vehicle. Consumers need to learn a lesson from this: they should be in control of the car - not be controlled by the car.

Agreed - less electronics better. Best Toyota is '76 FJ40 (it only had radio as an electronic device :)

ywen

Explorer
Woo-Ha, 4Runner is the safest vehicle....:wings:

Wouldn't be too sure of that.. recall extends to Europe and China.. Obviously not using CST pedals.. My hunch all along has been design deficiency rather than manufacturing defects.. The 4Runner very well could be recalled, as well as the LC.. heck.. this story changes every day!

Agreed - less electronics better. Best Toyota is '76 FJ40 (it only had radio as an electronic device :)

Yes for Toyota apparently, less electronics/computers, the better..

jh504

Explorer
I just hope that Toyota makes things right with all of this and is able to recover from it. They are a very good auto maker who still puts reliablity high on their list. Its time for them to get back to the basics.

FJ_Viz

Observer
Another factor I didn't see anyone mention, at least regarding the CHP Lexus fatal crash, was that the vehicle had "push button" starting; no ignition key. I read that if the vehicle is being driven, the button must be pressed and held for several seconds before it will turn off the engine. It is designed so a simple press or bump, won't kill the engine. Not sure many folks with this feature know this.

Not a fan of the "keyless" system. Sister has MB E320 with it. She dropped off her husband ("key" was in his pocket), and was able to drive off without the "key" and got stuck at the store. Thank goodness (for him) she had a cell phone. Could have serious implications in the field.

Electricity = scary magic therefore I refuse to use any electronic device! Well except maybe a computer, tv, gps, cell phones, radio, microwave oven, mp3 player, frig, heated toilet seat.... ok there might be a few, but you get my point, electronics are evil. ;)

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Wouldn't be too sure of that.. recall extends to Europe and China.. Obviously not using CST pedals.. My hunch all along has been design deficiency rather than manufacturing defects..

You sure about that ;)

"CTS also makes pedals for Honda Motor Co., Mitsubishi Motors, Nissan Motor Co. and Ford Motor Co. in China, but the company said pedals made for those manufacturers don't have the same design. Still, Ford on Thursday halted production of some full-sized commercial vehicles in China because they contain CTS gas pedals."

and

"All the Toyota vehicles in the pedal recall have CTS assemblies, a fact widely published and discussed. In just a week, CTS has become so synonymous with sticking gas pedals that a Chinese company suspended production of a commercial van because it has CTS-made pedals — but not the Toyota design"

Krut29

What I dont understand is everyone keeps calling it a pedal problem, it's really an electronic issuse with the transducer or LVDT/RVDT the pedal is actually attached to. Commercial aircraft have been using these systems for many years (Fly by wire) if you will. And the military even longer. Use common sense, if you expeirence a problem through it in nuetral :smiley_drive: and shut it down. Toyota builds a fine product and I am sure this will be corrected.

See news release from CTS below.

Doesn't it figure, the week link in a problem with a Toyota was made in the US. ha

January 27
http://www.ctscorp.com/publications/press_releases/nr100127.htm

January 29
http://www.ctscorp.com/publications/press_releases/nr100129.htm

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier