No more Toyotas

805gregg

Adventurer
Toyota has suspended sales of most models of their '09-'10 models, that's on top of 2 recent recalls, 4.3 million, and 2.3 million. I guess they don't want anymore runaway acceleration crashes (over 2000) or deaths (19).

ywen

Explorer
according to autoblog..

*UPDATE: Toyota has confirmed to us that the Camry Hybrid and Highlander Hybrid are not included in the sales suspension. Toyota has also reiterated that no Lexus or Scion models are included as these cars are built in Japan.

Oy... MADE IN NA.. I wonder who put that little spin in there..

laylow

Observer
Of course it wasn't the floor mats. Who believes that?
ah wait, they admit it now
Toyota has investigated isolated reports of sticking accelerator pedal mechanisms in certain vehicles without the presence of floor mats. There is a possibility that certain accelerator pedal mechanisms may, in rare instances, mechanically stick in a partially depressed position or return slowly to the idle position.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
my mother in law has a 2005-2006ish Avalon that they just bought. Its freaking me out, cuz every wednesday all three of my girls are with her during the day.

I called the toyota dealer here in kearny mesa, but they said that IF her car was involved with the recall that she'd get a letter. I was like, "ok, but ****** is she supposed to do in the meantime?" "just be prepared to stomp on the pedal?" He's like "yeah, basically"

I know that if this car was going to have issues, it probably would have had them in the 5 or 6 years that it was already in service, but a crash in her car with my kids is still an unbearable, gut-wrenching thought....

I'm going to try and call another dealer here in san diego (benefit of a large city) and see if they say the same thing.

-Brian

Of course it wasn't the floor mats. Who believes that?
ah wait, they admit it now

Look at this: "Toyota has investigated isolated reports of sticking accelerator pedal mechanisms in certain vehicles without the presence of floor mats. There is a possibility that certain accelerator pedal mechanisms may, in rare instances, mechanically stick in a partially depressed position or return slowly to the idle position. "

See, vehicles without floor mats... *** RARE INSTANCES *** That tells me that in most of these vehicles without floor mats, the mechanical sticking is not the problem. It's them computers!!! I knew car manufacturers shouldn't have taken it this far. EFI might be about as far as I'll go.

Stephanie

SeaRubi

Explorer
why don't people just shift into neutral and let the motor bounce on the rev limiter?

or did toyota engineers make a lock-out that guarantees death?

we had an old buick that liked to do this. the throttle would stick and start going crazy. Find "N" - cut the ignition and pull over, unstick throttle, get back underway.

people are dumb : (

why don't people just shift into neutral and let the motor bounce on the rev limiter?

or did toyota engineers make a lock-out that guarantees death?

You got that right! That's what killed that police officer and his family. The only thing he could have done was to spin out, and there's no telling what would have happened.

Stephanie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke