"No More Projects!", says I. And then...1972 Superior 2200. Couldn't pass it up.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Yup. Just refeshed new posts and saw this thread in the list.

Been taking it real easy the last 6 weeks or so due to an inflamed knee tendon. It's an old story that pops up every couple years and usually passes in a week or two. But not this time. Wandering around big yards full of trucks and climbing in and out of trucks a dozen times a day aggravated it way beyond previous levels.

A few weeks of short work weeks and lots of ice packs has led to some improvement. But not enough. I'm considering that maybe it's time to just lay off driving trucks for a while.

I did borrow a set of lock picks and opened up the hatch to the water fill on the Superior. Decided I need to just take one of the locks over to Grainger's (now open to the public) and order a 10-pack. Otherwise I'd end up with three different keys just for the bloody hatch locks.

Haven't dumped water in and tested the system yet. I can hear the water pump running, so I think it'll work, but the city water connection is broke so I want to cap it off (doubt I'll ever need it) before testing.

Still haven't finished up-armoring and outfitting the van. If I take a leave of absence from work, that'll be the first project on the list to get some attention.

In other news, my buddy Glen Heggstad was in the news again:

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/communities/north-county/sd-no-palomar-thief-20180227-story.html

I've seen the pics of the damned fool that tangled with Glen. Gruesome.

I might decide to go hang out on Mt. Palomar for a few weeks. Which would be a good reason to get this bloody tank of an RV running so I could use it there.

Last edited:

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole
In other news, my buddy Glen Heggstad was in the news again:

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/communities/north-county/sd-no-palomar-thief-20180227-story.html

I've seen the pics of the damned fool that tangled with Glen. Gruesome.

I might decide to go hang out on Mt. Palomar for a few weeks. Which would be a good reason to get this bloody tank of an RV running so I could use it there.

That's an awesome story, I'd like to see about 50 stories just like that in the news everyday!

G35Vortec454

Adventurer
Your story(ies) make me smile . . . been there, done that!

I don't know if I've missed it over the many pages, but it looks like you haven't gotten that Superior running, stopping where no fuel was getting to the cylinders. Maybe the float chamber is full but nothing is getting squirted into the throttle. My experience with the Carters, thermoquads, etc. in the 3 Dodge motorhomes that sit still in my property is that there is a piston pump in carburetor that get stuck and won't budge to priming by stepping on the gas pedal several times before starting. My routine is pinch the lever with a plier and slide it up and down a few times before starting.

Anyway, good luck with your projects and I'll be following your progress reports. I also like reading your very knowledgeable electrical posts in the 12V Power supply forum.

NATESHIELDS1005

How's this project going? I just bought a 72 Superior, everything works and works for $2,000. judging by your story, I got a great deal. But, I see this thread ended in July of last year. Hope all is well!

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
How's this project going? I just bought a 72 Superior, everything works and works for $2,000. judging by your story, I got a great deal. But, I see this thread ended in July of last year. Hope all is well!

Nice! Congrats, hope to see how it works out for you.

As for mine...all going according to plan - it sits there, I stare at it. :) Long term project. All things in their own time.

I've tried contacting the guy with the manual several times trying to get the second half of it...no reply. Even offered to come and take the pics myself. Nada.

I have a small manchester propane tank that an ex-roomate of my son's left behind, not sure what size it's supposed to be, but the only time I've had it filled, it took 1.7g before the OPD stopped it and I'm pretty sure it was empty when we started. I bought a cheapo POL regulator/hose for it and am planning to attach it to the propane system somewhere so I can pressure test it for leaks.

I went out and sat in it for a few hours during a heavy downpour and except for the clapped out roof vents, no leaks.

Otherwise, nothing going on. Still $100/yr to reg in Cali and $100/yr to insure (appx).

Unlike my cargo van which cost $277 to reg this time around. This has me eyeballing the old camper van and thinking over what bits I'll need to slap on the cargo van to convert to reg as an RV. Stupid commercial registration. Reminds me of the time some insurance co. tripled the rate on my camper van two months into the policy (with backdated billing), because they had decided it could be used for "artisan use"...whatever the hell that is. (And yes, I told tem to piss off.)

Hate@DMV and insurance "industry". But at least the Superior is, so far at least, a rather cheap project.

NATESHIELDS1005

Glad to hear you haven't given up! I had faith that you hadn't. Nice weather coming up this weekend, I'll take some photos and maybe a video of it running. Did sound like it had an exhaust leak and it sat all winter so I'll have to see how it moves. But everything is there and seemingly in good enough shape for a small project.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Glad to hear you haven't given up! I had faith that you hadn't. Nice weather coming up this weekend, I'll take some photos and maybe a video of it running. Did sound like it had an exhaust leak and it sat all winter so I'll have to see how it moves. But everything is there and seemingly in good enough shape for a small project.

Now that I think about it...if you want what I have of the manual, PM me an email address and I'll send what I've got. I mean the hi-res pics, not the reduced res I uploaded here.

Or...if you have any docs, I'd owe you a beer for sending pics my way.

NATESHIELDS1005

I found what I think to be the entire owners manual, along with a lot of other info that may come in handy. Although, mine is the 25 ft 72 with a 413. I'll do my best to get some good pics of it and any other document I think may help as soon as possible. It's the least I can do for all the help this posting has done. How're things?

Last edited:

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Oh crap. I forgot all about getting you what I had of the manual. Sorry...no excuse. I did try after we first talked about it and for some reason the email failed to reach you. Then I had to run and decided to figure it out later.

Then forgot.

As for mine, I finally got it running by shifting all the wires on the distributor cap..uh...I think it was counter-clockwise, but now I'm not sure. But yea, the two number 1s molded into the cap were both wrong.

I ordered the new low-profile galvanized roof vents, but haven't installed them yet. Also ordered a bunch of LED light fixtures. Singles and doubles.

41NEdfQEFEL._AC_SY400_.jpg

411BMgBpCaL._AC_SY400_.jpg

But OMFG they are enormous. I didn't even notice when I ordered them. The singles are 8"x5" and the doubles 11"x5".

It's not an issue for the doubles as they are all in the front and on flat surfaces with lots of room. But the singles are too wide to fit between the upper cabinet doors in the rear. Which is fine actually...I'm going to mount them facing down on the bottom of the cabs and leave the originals in place for now until I find something suitable.

Same in the head. There is already power in the ceiling for the vent, so I can use that the install a double up overhead. And eventually find something to put in the original vanity spots.

In the front over the dinette, on the bottom of the overhead cab is a double, which a switch by the door turns on one half of. Haven't decided yet what I'm gonna do there. I'm thinking a double over the dinette, then pickup that extra wire and put a single nearer the entry to give more light on the steps.

But yea, I'll take what you can give of the manual. I only got half of the one from that one guy and he never answered after that.

KGOSVENER

Just joined and just picked up a 73 Superior 2500, everything is there and in good shape. Didn't get to hear it run because the negative cable came into contact with the positive post. I am assuming that it only needs the fusible link replaced but who knows.......but I have to thank you greatly because this thread has helped me a ton!

I just joined also and have enjoyed reading this thread.. I also recently purchased a 73 superior 2500. I am hoping to share information that I have found or have in hopes of the same from you guys as well.. I do have a complete copy of the owners manual but its a copy of a copy that came with it so the images are a little grainy.

Attachments

• 20200514_154916.jpg
    20200514_154916.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 50

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles