No longer dual purpose or AKA how to improve a 400 dollar lowes trailer

indiedog

Adventurer
Hey Oscar, have just stumbled across this one again, great build. Your trailer ended up very similar to my layout, including the awning and how I link the RTT fly over it. How's it treating you? Only problem I have with mine is I have to fit 2 adults and 3 kids in it. We add a large tarp over the lot when staying put for a few days and then use a double swag for extra bedding.

Also haven't seen TJM in your neck of the woods before, are they readily available? They put out a good quality product on the whole but find it hard to compete with ARB here. Something I was warned about was having no ventilation between the RTT floor and the roof of the trailer as it tends to trap moisture. No issues there so far?

Ive been very happy with it. still have a few modifications to make. Only 2 people in mine so its plenty of room. Our local Summit store had the TJM brand. This one was on a scratch and dent sale so I picked it up cheap. been very happy with it.

Long time with no updates here. My apologies it's been a busy couple years with a daughter turning two and a son due shortly I havent been out alot.

I did finally get around to replacing the tounge I bent.

20181014_152247.jpg
20181013_123810.jpg

J!m

Nice work.

At the end of the day, it might be easier to design and scratch build something, but I fully understand the "I'll just do this for now..." mentality and the ensuing evolution.

I may someday do the same with a Sankey, although those are getting expensive now. Tons of aerospace fabricators around here, and iron shops with ex-aero welders on staff. But our labor rates are significantly higher than other parts of the world!

Nice work.

At the end of the day, it might be easier to design and scratch build something, but I fully understand the "I'll just do this for now..." mentality and the ensuing evolution.

I may someday do the same with a Sankey, although those are getting expensive now. Tons of aerospace fabricators around here, and iron shops with ex-aero welders on staff. But our labor rates are significantly higher than other parts of the world!
Yeah this has been a long time build. Little here and there as necessary. All the time its been worked on was to make room for the growing family. Well now #2 is due soon so ill need to expand the sleeping area. Im thinking of getting a oz tent to attach to the end of the awning and some bunk bed cots for them.

J!m

I like the idea of "dumping a trailer" at the site and being able to roll in, take a hot shower and crack a cold beverage and not worry about dealing with a tent.

I have my roof tent but usually set up a ground tent "shed" to store stuff at my site. Still have to open the roof tent each night, which also provides the shower "room" with access ladder... but it beats going to bed muddy and sweaty and (sometimes) bloody!

I had even thought about using a Rover rear axle and drive an alternator off the diff to charge everything while driving. Which is probably not needed at all but it seemed to make sense to me.

I dont have a shower setup yet. Its on the agenda. Looking at a tank above the axle and one of the on demand hot water kits. I'll get one of the stand alone enclosures. I do like being able to leave camp without breaking down a bed. Alot of times Ill spend a few days in an area and base-camping is preferred. At the same time it keeps up well enough to do the sleep somewhere new every night deal. The trailer is great altho there are times I wish I was in a taco or something with more vehicle room.

J!m

I put a plate heat exchanger under the hood and use a demand pump (boat pump) to draw from the ~11 gallon stainless tank I had made behind my left rear wheel. (It fills from inside the truck to avoid surprises) the pump draws through a sediment filter (I broke one freezing it... oops) and then to a tee- one side goes to the heat exchanger, the other to the “blue” hose connection on the side of the truck. From the heat exchanger, it goes to the “red” hose connection.

I took a home shower control and plumbed it with red and blue washing machine supply hoses. A braided hose goes up to the shower head, with a couple PVC hangers attached do I can hang it on the roof rack or roll bar.

Stand under shower and adjust water temp as desired. The hot is DAMN hot- like make tea hot. It’s quite an indulgence but makes the worst travel day much better. (Burbon helps too)

I have a stainless tube in the tank for pick-up. I placed it so that it is accessible from the (1/2” NPT) drain plug, so if it gets really funky I can run a bottle brush up there. Vent line for the tank goes to the top of the interior. It will probably leak if I roll the truck onto the left side, so I try to avoid that, so I don’t get the interior wet...

I put a plate heat exchanger under the hood and use a demand pump (boat pump) to draw from the ~11 gallon stainless tank I had made behind my left rear wheel. (It fills from inside the truck to avoid surprises) the pump draws through a sediment filter (I broke one freezing it... oops) and then to a tee- one side goes to the heat exchanger, the other to the “blue” hose connection on the side of the truck. From the heat exchanger, it goes to the “red” hose connection.

I took a home shower control and plumbed it with red and blue washing machine supply hoses. A braided hose goes up to the shower head, with a couple PVC hangers attached do I can hang it on the roof rack or roll bar.

Stand under shower and adjust water temp as desired. The hot is DAMN hot- like make tea hot. It’s quite an indulgence but makes the worst travel day much better. (Burbon helps too)

I have a stainless tube in the tank for pick-up. I placed it so that it is accessible from the (1/2” NPT) drain plug, so if it gets really funky I can run a bottle brush up there. Vent line for the tank goes to the top of the interior. It will probably leak if I roll the truck onto the left side, so I try to avoid that, so I don’t get the interior wet...
Might need some help with mine.
My current plan is a 20 gal tank and a Triton style lp water heater. Not sure how to get the water pressure I need or even how much pressure I'd need. It's just an idea at this point. I only know I want it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles