No Defender for the U.S.

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
. . . at least not this year.

I've read two reviews of the new Defender 90 and 110, and there has been no change in the chassis to accommodate SRS air bags, and none of the test models has had an air bag steering wheel. So it appears we're out of luck for this year at least, and probably several.

There is a very nice new turbodiesel engine and transmission, a new facia and air conditioning, and (gasp) the cowl vents have been eliminated. Otherwise it still looks like a proper Defender, with a butch hood bulge.

Sigh . . .

I've always felt that pollution controls should be mandatory on all vehicles, since pollution affects everyone. But I wonder why safety features such as air bags can't be left to the free market - you want the extra safety, you pay for it; you don't, you skip it and take your chances. No lawsuits allowed!

articulate

Expedition Leader
Nothing says, "Nice Jeep!" like a cute girl in a Jetta looking at a Defender 90. The shame. True statement.

My brother used to have one, and I wish I had a photo to share. A D-90, not a Jetta. What a cool little machine. You wouldn't happen to have a photo of this new version would you? My saliva glands need something to do.

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
Jonathan Hanson said:
I've always felt that pollution controls should be mandatory on all vehicles, since pollution affects everyone. But I wonder why safety features such as air bags can't be left to the free market - you want the extra safety, you pay for it; you don't, you skip it and take your chances. No lawsuits allowed!

:iagree:

I love your thinking there!

Robthebrit

Explorer
I could not agree more but its unfortunate that its not going to come to the US. The same laws stopped to Lotus Elise sports car from coming here and when it got here it was nothing like the original.

If they did bring this to the US they would have to wreck it, add airbags, put an automatic in it, put IFS on it and up the horse power far above 120HP.

Rob

darthrover

cant really see the bump. the new motor has only 60Nm more torque than the outgoing TD5:mad:

64a2137ce08909f8766e.jpeg

cheers phil

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
No more horsepower, but it peaks much lower, and the torque curve is flatter.

While 120 hp might not seem like much (and you're right, it probably wouldn't sell here), I applaud Land Rover for resisting the silly horsepower war that American truck makers succumbed to. A friend of mine just replaced his old Dodge Cummins with a new one, with which he tows a large horse trailer. He says it actually has too much power and he is disappointed with the mileage, which took a dive from his old truck.

The concept of an expedition vehicle that can achieve 30 mpg is far more attractive to me than one that can run a 16-second quarter mile! Graham averaged over 18 mpg in his 110 on his entire journey through Africa, fully loaded, off-track travel included. That's phenomenal.

cameltrophy3

Defender...ever, ever...

Hey guys. Most of the time I sit quietly and just read and I hate to only post bad news, but the Defender in its current form will never come to the US. The vehicle is just not modern enough to meet US safety standards. It does not have airbags, or meet roll over requirements not to mention the emit ions. I have had three of the D90s and while they rate really high on the 'cool index' it really is a niche vehicle. On this thread we are the nuts who would drive a fully expedition ready D90 with roll cages, winches and bull bars on a daily basis and can deal with the 10 MPG that the 4.0 or the 3.9 would spit out. BUT Soccer Mom ain't havin it and that leads me to believe that until Rover/Ford does a ground up revamp of the Defender, we just ain't gettin it. Not to mention if they do revamp, will the base clientele respect and like it? Jeep has a done a great job with the Wrangler. Heck, they even listened to what their clients wanted... The New Uni/Rubi is a way cool machine. If Rover could do that and not loose the rest of the world client base that they already have...
I know, I know...You don't want to hear that and you just want to do this to me for saying it...
:ar15: :box:
Here is one of my old D90's in Uwharrie NF.
sunD90.jpg

Last edited:

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Cameltrophy3, we're going to start calling you Mr. Sunshine. . .

Seriously, I understand what you're saying. But a Defender, while simple, is really no more crude than most pickups - separate frame and body. I think the chassis could be re-engineered for an SRS system - in fact it would probably be less involved than doing the same on a unibody vehicle. I just think Land Rover doesn't believe the market is there (here) to justify the expense, and they might be right.

gjackson

FRGS
It looks pretty cool. Obviously since it is still the same body apart from the hood. Engine doesn't interest me much, but the 6 speed transmission is way cool. Apparently out of a Ford transit van. I may investigate the possibilities there. But I HATE what they did with the dash. The Defender has always had a terrible dash, and I think they just made it worse. I like that it has a real instrument binnacle, but the loss of the air vents is the worst! Tom Sheppard made the coolest dash ever for a Defender. They had the design, all they had to do was put it into production. Instead they made it just like all the other crappy overlander-unfriendly dashs out there.

Just my 2c.

cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles