NM Pajero TPS adjustment. Help Toasty or other Gurus!

MoabRefugee

Observer
Monty Nobaru had a pretty rough idle when purchased, which at the time I attributed to plugs, and the other usual suspects.

I ran through the typical laundry list, have used Torque to datalog the O2 sensors, ST/FT, etc. all looks good.

Monty Nobaru, runs well when warm, but lumpily when cold and far too low in D even when warm. I have done an IAC cleaning and reset, verified it's function, etc. I am down at my folks at 8300ft and it runs better, so have begun to suspect a lean condition caused the TPS. There is quite a gap between the grub screw and linkage, and to be honest, I think removed the TPS while cleaning the throttle body back in '15. I returned it to the original position(I marked it), but I strongly suspect that the position had previously been monkeyed with as there was evidence of tightening at multiple poistions.

I have an 01 FSM, but seem only to be able to locate the GDI 6G74, and can't find squat on the TB adjustment. Autozone's Repair Guides has a tutorial on 3.5 TPS adjustment, checking/adjusting resistance, etc. but I don't want to piecemeal it, and I imagine Toasty or one of the other wisemen here can hopefully point me to the correct procedure. Help me Toasty One Kenobi!

MoabRefugee

Observer
Thanks for the suggestion. have a regular 6G74 non-GDI. I am muddling through it on my own. The TPS is way out of spec resistance in it’s current position, it’s off the manifold and I have rigged up a testing loom. Ran better with just a small tweak of position to “prove concept”. I was hoping for some wisdom of “don’t forget to check xxx”.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Well, i forget the feeler gauge blade size and i haven't done it the "old" way in a long long time. I'll find the information and post it if nobody else beats me to it, basically you put the feeler gauge between the throttle stop and with your multimeter hooked up adjust the TPS to 0. If it's aftermarket it won't zero out or if it does it won't stay so just get it as close to zero as possible. Tighten and you're done, It's not terribly hard. If you have a MUT-2 like me or an OBD-2 reader that reads TPS it's easier because you can sit the reader somewhere safe while you use both hands to adjust the TPS (helps so much)

MoabRefugee

Observer
Well, i forget the feeler gauge blade size and i haven't done it the "old" way in a long long time. I'll find the information and post it if nobody else beats me to it, basically you put the feeler gauge between the throttle stop and with your multimeter hooked up adjust the TPS to 0. If it's aftermarket it won't zero out or if it does it won't stay so just get it as close to zero as possible. Tighten and you're done, It's not terribly hard. If you have a MUT-2 like me or an OBD-2 reader that reads TPS it's easier because you can sit the reader somewhere safe while you use both hands to adjust the TPS (helps so much)
Hadn’t even occurred to me to use Torque Pro for this. Score for the future. Multimeter method worked ish. Is the T-stop factory adjusted? Mine was definitely moved. Any info on T. Plate position? Or just closed, then adjust grub screw to contact, then insert feeler gauge? Many thanks btw.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94