Nissan Xterra Discontinued in U.S.

Fzzt

Observer
Sad but understandable with all the new emission regulations they have to meet and the impact a 16mpg vehicle has on Nissan's fleetwide mpg numbers, especially if they are only selling < 2000 of them a year!
Won't effect me driving mine for the foreseeable future though I don't expect to see much in the way of new aftermarket baubles now that production has been rolled up. Time to get all those upgrades done before supply runs out!

lizardking

They sold 17K+ a year for the last 5 years. Last 2 years the beat the Titan and were neck and neck for the previous 3 years. The frontier beat them both by a large margin... but the went ahead and revamped the titan anyway and killed the X. This is disappointing Nissan.

GetOutThere

Adventurer
Understandable, but it's always sad to see a good off road platform go.
Here's hoping there's a replacement in the works.

Dake21

Adventurer
Emission regulation are killing all the best vehicle on the market...All the good offroader are falling one after one. Hopefully something good will replace the Xterra.

jhberria

Adventurer
*pours some of his 40oz malt liquor out on the sidewalk* Another one bites the dust. Can't say we didn't see it coming, glad I got the 2014 when I did.

RG5384

Observer
Ouch..didn't realize the new pathy was so problematic? Doesn't matter for most of us anyways as it is now not a very good expedition vehicle platform.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
On could hope Nissan is going full monty on the new Frontier. They are in a great position. GM and Toyotas cards are on the table. Nissan could mop up the mid sized market with the right options packages and platform.

702krawler

Adventurer
So what is left for someone who wants an off-road capable mid-size SUV in 2016? Seems to me that the JK is it. Maybe the 4runner, but is a little big, and doesn't offer a manual transmission.

I'm sure the decision to drop the Xterra was made some time ago, but the timing seems poor on Nissan's part. For one, they appear to be keeping the Frontier platform on which it is based, and for another, the discontinuation of the FJ probably meant more buyers for the Xterra.

Silver dude

Xplorer
Sad but maybe like the Chevy Colorado it will come back after a few years break. If gas prices keep dropping and some new technology comes out that improves emissions and fuel economy maybe it will. Sad how all the trucks are being replaced with cars and everybody is labeling cars as the SUV's. I hate the new CUV term just wanna punch some city snob in the face. I almost think Nissan may be in crisis in the future the company really banked on the Nissan Leaf to turn the company profit and I don't see any of them on my commutes. That minivan called a Pathfinder should NOT have been called Pathfinder. The company has been on the decline for me for a long time I don't feel they have turned great products since the D21 series.

swestenzweig

Like everyone else, Nissan is trying to strike the right balance between consumer appetite, regulatory requirements, and profitability. New models and redesigned models don't just happen overnight, so satisfying those three at any given time becomes quite the challenge as they have to plan years in advance. As someone in another forum posted, I'm glad Nissan discontinued the Xterra rather than live on as some neutered version of its former self (see: Pathfinder). No doubt we have the Juke to thank for fulfilling the crossover segment so well.

Unfortunately, regulatory requirements are beginning to significantly overrule consumer appetite. Toyota saw the costs associated with adapting the FJ to meet the upcoming regulatory requirements and, given the limited consumer appetite, decided it was more financially sound to discontinue the model. Nissan tried to soldier on a few more years with the Xterra, but the writing was certainly on the wall. As one report mentioned, Nissan has no other SUVs in development to replace the Xterra, so clearly Nissan can't see profitability in the SUV segment.

My only hope is that some of these manufacturers continue making a reasonable enough amount of legitimate SUVs destined for places with more relaxed regulatory standards, which would at least provide the option of acquiring the vehicle through private import. Although, with Land Rover finally calling an end to the Defender after 67 years of continuous production, that hope, too, is fading.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94