Nissan throws in the towel, ending US production of NV and NV200

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Can you imagine a time where a NA manufacturer would ever publish a pic of their van doing this on their website?
I would purchase one of these if made available in the US market.

Epic!

And no. :unsure: Unless that pic said "Professional driver, closed course, special conditions, 2 safety helmets and a wrapped in bubble wrap in an 8 point safety harness. Do not attempt like ever".

grizzlyj

Tea pot tester
Probably not related at all, but a few weeks ago Nissan said they were pulling out their factory in Barcelona, and so in large part out of the EU. The UK Sunderland factory was going to be a focus despite Brexit, hooray for UK jobs, skilled workers etc etc.
Some had commentated that with the chat about how the UK will go at least 100 years backwards after Brexit and how many firms are supposed to be leaving. the market left behind will be ripe to exploit so Nissan were being astute to an opportunity.
One week after that Nissan said they may pull of out of Sunderland instead.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Can you imagine a time where a NA manufacturer would ever publish a pic of their van doing this on their website?
I would purchase one of these if made available in the US market.
View attachment 591395

I don't get it. Why? I see a van doing nothing but being tossed down a hill that it has no right being on in the first place.

A Dodge HD or Ford Superduty with a box would have all 6 tires flat on the ground there. Not only could it go down, but going up that, would be cake.

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
Has anyone driven an NV here? If so how does it drive? Is it more similar to an E250 or a Ford Transit?
They are quite cheap in the Northeast.

broncobowsher

Adventurer
Has anyone driven an NV here? If so how does it drive? Is it more similar to an E250 or a Ford Transit?
They are quite cheap in the Northeast.
Have many miles on them as a company truck. Love them. They eat miles on the highway. That long hood pushes the engine forward and you have footroom. I will say it actually drives better than most full size trucks. Way better than the old Econoline (those were always all over the place even when new). We had a transit when they first came out. Better than the Econoline. Everyone who drive the NV prefered those. That is what the company van is. The only gripe is they tried a few V6 engines. They are underpowered. It is an engine from a Frontier. The 1-ton only has the V8. The V8 gets the same fuel economy as you are not hammering it to keep up with traffic. I think they are all V8s now, nobody liked the V6. They do try and keep us happy in what we drive. The latest ones got a new V8 and 7-speed. Empty they are a rocket, hate to say it but almost too much motor. Until you have to tow the service trailer, then just right.

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
The latest ones got a new V8 and 7-speed. Empty they are a rocket, hate to say it but almost too much motor.

Yes, the Nissan V8 is one is best. It's such shame that even the Titan has not been a successful truck, given the fact it's amazing V8 and factory locker.
I wonder if one gets an NV decides to convert to a 4X4 how hard it would be? maybe it can take the transfer case and axels from the Titan?

Vandit

Observer
Yes, the Nissan V8 is one is best. It's such shame that even the Titan has not been a successful truck, given the fact it's amazing V8 and factory locker.
I wonder if one gets an NV decides to convert to a 4X4 how hard it would be? maybe it can take the transfer case and axels from the Titan?

Ian Johnson converted one a few years ago with a solid front axle for his show Xtreme Off-Road. Some details here and more via Google:

https://usa.nissannews.com/en-US/re...-van-goes-where-no-cargo-van-has-gone-before#

Also, there are a couple of dealerships in the US that worked with Nissan USA to offer conversions that used factory Nissan parts in order to be able to stay within factory warranty.

https://www.kengarffnissanslc.com/nv-passenger-vans/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles