Nissan Patrol Y60/GQ Import

Patrollife

Explorer
Has anyone on here imported a Nissan Patrol Y60/GQ. If yes, can you tell me what was the truck valued at for paying duty?

Thanks,

Vince

nickw

Adventurer
I'd look at the LC70's for a starting point and probably take 25%+ off of that figure.....Patrols are super cool rigs and I know those suckers are built really well but they are fairly unknown here in the states and don't have the following you'd find with the Toyotas, nor the parts supply. I bet if you do a search of Bring A Trialer one may have sold in the last few years....

*Edit - here I did it for ya:

Patrollife

Explorer
I'd look at the LC70's for a starting point and probably take 25%+ off of that figure.....Patrols are super cool rigs and I know those suckers are built really well but they are fairly unknown here in the states and don't have the following you'd find with the Toyotas, nor the parts supply. I bet if you do a search of Bring A Trialer one may have sold in the last few years....

*Edit - here I did it for ya:

Great, thanks. I decided to use the value for which I paid local taxes on the Patrol in Guatemala. This is an official valuation corroborated through State paperwork. The vehicle has been titled to my name for 6 years and the taxable value was around $6,000, so not far off from the starting bid price of the Patrol you sent. My Patrol was not in that good of shape when I bought it, though.

My shorty is currently on its way to the East Coast. Fingers crossed entry and vehicle state registration all go smoothly! Please send me your good vibes and thoughts!

Jc1986.carter

Good luck with the registration. Patrols are awesome, but the north American market never saw then. The new armada should of been the fuel to start the fire, but Nissan made it the fugly soccer mom Vic that nobody wanted. The ROW patrol was the land cruiser peer that North America never got, they are all over central and South America though and part should be easy to get.

Patrollife

Explorer
Good luck with the registration. Patrols are awesome, but the north American market never saw then. The new armada should of been the fuel to start the fire, but Nissan made it the fugly soccer mom Vic that nobody wanted. The ROW patrol was the land cruiser peer that North America never got, they are all over central and South America though and part should be easy to get.
Thanks. I'll take all the good luck and good vibes I can get with the registration. Praying for a smooth process.

thebmrust

I think Nissan Patrols were imported (into the West coast only) from early 1960’s to 1969/1970. The last 1969 import was listed as a 1970 (I literally read that on a Nissan USA forum post over Easter weekend). I think that actual vehicle is/was also for sale recently.

Any idea how many Patrols exist here on ExPo? The forum Nissan description doesn’t say “Patrol”.

Jc1986.carter

I
I think Nissan Patrols were imported (into the West coast only) from early 1960’s to 1969/1970. The last 1969 import was listed as a 1970 (I literally read that on a Nissan USA forum post over Easter weekend). I think that actual vehicle is/was also for sale recently.

Any idea how many Patrols exist here on ExPo? The forum Nissan description doesn’t say “Patrol”.
I think there is a member from somewhere on the Arab peninsula that shows some his mods but that’s a late model two door that they got, I think it is the y62 models. Other than one the OP posted and a new gen armada/ infinity variant that is on 35s or 37s, I haven’t seen any. I haven’t been active in the Nissan page since I traded my frontier last September for a Jeep gladiator.

those early patrols would be cool though.

seetomgo

Currently lost

I've got a '92 high-roof y60/GQ (JDM Safari)...TD42, 5-speed, etc. Happy to answer any questions about it or the import process (it isn't my only JDM 4x4 so I've been through it a few times).

Patrollife

Explorer
I've got a '92 high-roof y60/GQ (JDM Safari)...TD42, 5-speed, etc. Happy to answer any questions about it or the import process (it isn't my only JDM 4x4 so I've been through it a few times).
Thanks. The issue I'm running into is with the original title. To export from Guatemala, the license plates and title needed to be dissolved. To do this, the export agent had to hand in my original title to the appropriate government agency. I only have a copy of the original title with an authorized English translation from a certified translator in Guatemala. Even if I were able to reproduce the original title, Guatemala now only issues electronic titles, so any reproduction would be a printed copy. I resubmitted my paperwork to the Virginia DMV HQ in Richmond, VA pointing them to the Government of Guatemala's website for export requirements. I understand from the DMV branches that only HQ can make a determination on whether to accept a copy of the title. If they don't, I may need to see if I can get the original, original title back or contract the services of someone who deals with what are termed, "gray vehicle" imports. Or something along those lines. A colleague of mine dealt with something very similar, only she imported from Rwanda. That said, if you've got ideas or knowledge to share, I welcome it!

Patrollife

Explorer
And just for added conversation, the shorty arrived with a broken oil cooler housing. The thing was cracked in a million different places. I know for certain it didn't leave Guatemala that way. I've owned the truck since 2014. Long story short, I replaced the oil cooler housing (my first ever major repair). I had a replacement shipped up from Guatemala and after many failed attempts at making a good gasket, I finally ordered one from Australia only to discover the gasket was made in the USA (go figure). After getting the housing repaired, I noticed there was a lean in the suspension. I had the shorty repainted and a few other things done to it before it was exported, so I figured maybe the coils weren't installed correctly. That was exactly right. I had the coils switched out here in Virginia, all the adjustable rods reviewed and, well, adjusted. I also had a magnaflow exhaust installed with a turn down 2.5" stainless steel. When I got the shorty back from the suspension work, exhaust, and alignment, I started having issues with the electrical. There was no reaction from the ignition switch, nothing in my dash turned on, but my lights worked. It ended up being a bad ground wire. This is all to say, that the shorty's been giving me busy along with the DMV, so even if I had my plates, there's been reasons for not being able to drive it and I take that as a sign. She's running great now, and so every now and then I'll take her around the block in my neighborhood just to keep that engine healthy and to put a smile on my face. P1170247.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke