Nissan Frontier Truck Bed Off-Road Trailer - The "Frontrailer"

Nd4SpdSe

Adventurer, eh?
Long time lurker, and registered only a short time ago. I'm finally starting my trailer project. This has been in my head for quite a few years, it was just hard to find an affordable truck to start on.
https://www.facebook.com/Frontrailer/

It kinda jumped up as a priority cause with the girlfriend, we both love camping, but it's a more complicated camping with an RTT on the truck as opposed to being single. I want to keep camping the way I/we do, but make it easier, more comfortable, and have a "base camp" setup so we don't need to tear it down to use the truck.

The irony is that my buddy's truck that I kind of based my idea off of ended up for sale for a good price. 350'000kms on it and she would no longer start. Here's our trucks together 6 years ago. My X up front, his Frontier in the back.

1901718_1517944601792882_3438071593168348733_n.jpg

And I got it towed to my grandmothers to get it rolling (as a trailer) so I can bring it back to Quebec, which should be at the end of the month. From there I'll start working on getting the details and accessories done. FYI, I've never welded, so this will be my chance to finally buy a welder and learn.
Dfb8xdh.jpg

And the rough concept would be this:
KTfinb6.jpg

And as for the plans for the build:

Rack + Top
A bit complex, but it’s for both style, form, security and function. I plan to keep the tonneau cover on the box, but remove the hinge and have the cover lift up with either pressurised hydraulic cylinders and/or electric actuators, inspired by “Luke111”, “bikemanx2” and “Box Rocket” trailer builds on here. Under the tonneau cover, a frame will be made for the lifting mechanisms and to support weight for on top, where the OEM roof rack from the Frontier will be used and bolted through the cover and into the frame. The roof top tent will get mounted to this of course. There will be locking pins used to secure it in its up position. One thing I want to do is to have the point of the rack joining to the posts, so have it attached with ball joints do that even if each post goes up at a slightly different rate, which more likely will, it don’t cause binding in the tubing.

Suspension:
One of my big issues with expedition trailers is the suspension; there’s little to no flex. I don’t think that this helps that they’re unsteady on the trails and have a higher chance to topple over than the tow vehicle. The truck suspension has plenty of travel compared to a standard trailer, and a good availability of aftermarket upgrades and support. I’ll leave the suspension as-is for the moment then down the road switch to some revolver shackles for some extra flex get the inboard shocks done, same as my Xterra. It’s not a high priority since she already comes with an upgraded suspension will be sufficient for a while, while I concentrate on its functionality as a trailer, or unless I feel otherwise as I use it.

Brakes
The stock drive axle will be kept, and with this, the brakes. The hydraulic drum brakes will be kept and used, eventually, for braking the trailer with a brake controller. There are electric/hydraulic brake actuators available to control them. So I’ll get some nice strong hydraulic brakes to keep the trailer under control, but not the inconvenience of surge brakes. I would especially love this for downhill descents. Also the advantage of getting replacement parts for the braking system at your local parts store and Nissan dealerships.

Also, the parking brake will be used. I haven’t figured out what to do for the manual system, but this would be perfect when parking the trailer

Wheels & Tires
I do plan to keep using stock OEM-offset wheels, hopefully a matching set of Desert Runners all around. At first I’ll keep the current wheel and tire combo until I get some dessert runners rims to match, then they may get my old MTR 32’s while the truck upgrades to 33’s, but in the long run I would love to see 33” MTR Kevlar tires all the way around, truck and trailer. I haven’t decided if the trailer will get wheel spacers.

Lights
A 2-wire to 3-wire converter will be used to use the stock Frontier tail lights with the separate signal light and brake bulbs; they’re inexpensive. With the 7-pin harness, I might use the 7th wire for the reverse lights.
Side markers will be added for legality.

Fuel Tank
Part of this platform is that I plan to keep the stock fuel tank. Although I’m undecided if I’m adding some jerry cans for ease of use and fill up, I have an easy 75L of fuel as my disposal and doesn’t take up any storage space. This also would be handy for use with a generator. And having the fuel tank means I’m keeping the fuel pump, for transferring but also it would come as a spare in the odd chance that the trucks fuel pump fails. It does have the OEM skid, but I'll get an upgraded skid at the same time I order one for my Xterra since that's the last one she needs.

Tongue + Storage
Although the dimensions aren’t measured or decided, depending on what I need for the fuel tank, I plan to have a storage box on the tongue of the trailer. I would like to include a small generator, and I don’t know where to put a bottle of propane. I know I put in the concept pic some jerry cans, which would be used for fuel, but could be swapped out for water or extra storage as per the trip.

The tongue, however, needs to have enough length for me to be able to jack knife the trailer to 90 degrees without hitting the truck. This means a single beam tongue with a length of 38 inches from the pivot point.

Water
With no exhaust (or drive shaft) to be in the way, I plan to put a water tank on the underside opposite of the fuel tank. How and what dimensions will remain to be seen with the space available. I'll get a skid plate made up to protect that as well of course.

Power
With the truck does well on just 2 batteries when being parked on camping trips, but because it is a vehicle, it will of course charge on the go and when used as a vehicle, but it’s done a 4-day stint with only a single fire mid-way through the long weekend to top off the batteries just in case. But batteries in the truck do have the benefit of being charged by starting the truck if need be. I don’t want to have to connect the truck often to the trailer and let it idle to recharge the batteries. I would like to have a battery bank of at least 4 deep cycle batteries onboard. A true isolator will definitely be used.

I’d like to mount a solar panel somewhere, maybe on top of the storage box, as a supplement to light-duty power consumption, or at least keep a trickle always on the batteries.

Spare Tire
Same as the truck, the under body spare will be kept in use. I may do something like have the crossmember for the spare tires/winch move upwards to take advantage of all and any available space underneath (with the added “body lift”) to get it tucked up in there further.

I do have my hitch-mounted spare tire carrier planned to be built (eventually, they’re supposed to start it in the off-season). Since the trailer is also to use that same 2” receiver on the bumper, that carrier will be relocated to the trailer in what would I would like to eventually get is a nice steel bumper with also a 2” receiver.

Yep, this would amount to 3 spare tires.

Electronic & Wireless Monitoring and Controller
Arduino. It’s an easy to use programmable controller that’s totally flexible and open sourced. I got my first exposure to it when a friend showed me it to make sensing and trigger to automatically activate an aquarium pump to empty an air conditioner, and stop when it’s empty. It’s very flexible and really opens limitless possibilities with outputs for controls and analog inputs to monitor data. The plan it to have it interface with the OEM fuel level gauge to give me the fuel level in the Frontier’s tank. Secondly, I’ll do the same thing with the water tank, get it to be my voltmeter to make sure that’s working ok. I will also as a trigger to turn on and off the Frontier’s fuel pump for fuel transfers. I’d also like to get it to control stuff like lights. And all this can be done remotely using Wi-Fi. It gets accesses using a web page it hosts itself. This could be accessed with my cell phone, but also it’ll help breathe new life into the CarPC which has been broken for a few years now (needs new motherboard and monitor). I’ll add a wireless router to the truck to create a Xan or NAN (Xterra or Nissan Area Network, I find myself funny, especially since I’m currently on a networking course) and have the Arduino wirelessly connect to that network, and its webpage would display as a gauge and controls on the CarPC’s touchscreen display in the truck. I’m kind of really excited for this part of the project to be honest.

The truck has recently been torn down last weekend to get the parts that I need. I've got a trailer guy building the frame and it should be rolling for the end of December to take it back to Quebec at the end of my Christmas break.

0024.jpg

0025.jpg

0008.jpg

0014.jpg

0026.jpg

0034.jpg

And the box is in need of a decent amount of TLC, just the rear panel and the floor, so nothing crazy in terms of the outer panels with curves and stuff, so easy-ish stuff to repair, but I will be learning to weld on this, which is a good thing, I think it's the perfect thing to learn on. I

0036.jpg

(Note: Edited to update dead image links, but the 10'000 character limit forced some changes to the text to accommodate the limit)

Last edited:

Nd4SpdSe

Adventurer, eh?
My dad torching off the bolts, where he caught the harness on fire which spread to the tail light.

He was under the truck, so I didn't want to spray him with the extinguisher (and get in **** for that), but he says he wasn't

I went inside to get water, cause when we talked about it last, he said the taps outside were shut off (for the winter), so I went inside to get water, and he got pissed off at me cause it took too long and why I didn't get water from outside....

That's my dad for ya...lol

calicamper

Expedition Leader
My dad torching off the bolts, where he caught the harness on fire which spread to the tail light.

He was under the truck, so I didn't want to spray him with the extinguisher (and get in **** for that), but he says he wasn't

I went inside to get water, cause when we talked about it last, he said the taps outside were shut off (for the winter), so I went inside to get water, and he got pissed off at me cause it took too long and why I didn't get water from outside....

That's my dad for ya...lol

HA!
Yes giving old dad a good blast from the hose might have resulted in some words.

Nd4SpdSe

Adventurer, eh?
Oh, I was damned if I did, and damned if I didn't...it's like that with him. I'm used to it by now...

CLynn85

Explorer
I love matching trailers! Will definitely be following. Also, don't think I've ever seen a tail light on fire before...

fortel

Adventurer
Love the pic with all the parts spread out on the lawn. I can see the ad listing now - "Do-It-Yourself Frontier kit (some assembly required)". I think this is going to be a really cool project, can't wait to see it finished.

Nd4SpdSe

Adventurer, eh?
There wasn't much to report besides dropping off the parts to the guy for the build back during Christmas. He also took the back section of the frame to get the mounting points as reference.

aJK7Wxa.jpg

RWch9aw.jpg

P9gvwup.jpg

And a few parts including 4x 17" actuators with 12" of extension. Good for 270lbs of lift each.

pnwdVB4.jpg

And a brand new trail light to replace the one my dad caught fire, along with a harness from a wreckers

FoQ8qD0.jpg

Finally some progress. My dad took the pics for me since that's getting done by a shop in my hometown and I'm now out of province. It should be done at the time I get there on Monday! I can't wait!

8ONoeRl.jpg

CADTLtU.jpg

CIGYNHT.jpg

7OBekjo.jpg

rXWJiz0.jpg

Should be rolling and road worthy in about 2 weeks.

Last edited:

11b4v

Adventurer
oramge stuff

don't see that orange stuff much on southern trucks. Good luck with the build.

Nd4SpdSe

Adventurer, eh?
Well she's finally put together and rolling! Still much work left, but the more complicated part (for me) is done. She's got a 1000km trip at the end of the week to come back to Quebec with me, but at least that is finally done! Gas tas isn't in yet. The guy says he can't, but it's just the poor positioning of the crossbeams, which I'll just get someone else to do, or even myself (maybe, haha) since I just picked up a Lincoln 180 this week. It's been YEARS since I've wanted a welder, and now I have one, and especially and specifically for this project which will be a good base to learn on. And yes the trailer is rear heavy, but this is just for now. I'll get it balanced out, just one step at a time, as I can.

pnwdVB4.jpg

TyZ9nmZ.jpg

rCci8H2.jpg

4dygBzA.jpg

YhPJITo.jpg

Cx2iDgo.jpg

4Sf9lnd.jpg

GKhLTWK.jpg

BA842oy.jpg

tEp9JDj.jpg

NoD23dl.jpg

TcsaJcQ.jpg

EKLqDA6.jpg

JwUAPzd.jpg

QNvxv11.jpg

GFERN8x.jpg

r0ARbyi.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: WVI

Nd4SpdSe

Adventurer, eh?
Got some significant time to work on the trailer this past Easter long weekend. I modified the frame to fit the fuel tank, as it was suppose to have been done initially.

The starting point
wHaGi1L.jpg

The crossbar that's supporting the bed is in the way. I'll have to turn them into body mounts and remove the section that's in the way. I want to get the tank as high up as possible and take advantage of the 2" body lift that I got done as part of the design.
TCSQDFM.jpg

Also added an extra section to attach the rear hanger of the fuel tank, but it also doubles as an extra support for the floor of the bed, and later on, may tripple for the upper shock mount.
hMiA5tt.jpg

n0y4lhH.jpg

And a test fit to get the placement for the front support
paCsk30.jpg

Hotched and welding it up
ZvYOYlw.jpg

And how she'll sit, minus the skid plate. It may be "hanging low", but it's far from being the lowest point, and plus the forward leaf spring hanger needs to drop down a few inches to where it'll probably end up being level with the bottom of the tank, like how it sits originally on the trucks...it's all part of the design. Actually that's how it was suppose to get mounted, but no matter, it'll get it fixed.
JSpDSuE.jpg

And after a several hours of work on a long weekend, this is the final result with most of the extra pieces that I don't need removed. I think I'll add some gussets (i guess it would be called) on the forward beam to help with lateral forces. The original one was put there for that reason, so with the new one being a bit lower and fowards, I'll add some strength. Plus there's the extra beam under the box that'll help for the rigility. What's left is to finish cleaning up and painting the fuel tank, put a coat of black paint on the trailer where there's primer and get some metric hardware to bolt up the tank. The filler neck will need to be shortened just a bit, but I'll also need to pick up new hose.
oh1skYh.jpg

AGibgAE.jpg

And those of you who were wondering how balanced she is. Indeed she's tail heavy, but at the moment all I need is to put the spare tire on the tongue and she sits nose down.
HrT9Ovm.jpg

Last edited:

Nd4SpdSe

Adventurer, eh?
I spent some time Sunday to work on the lift system for the cover and tent. This is a critical part of this trailer so I really, really, REALLY want and need to know if this will work. I've hashed this out in my head over the last few months, so now it's time to make it happen in real life.

eBH1b6G.jpg

O9twOsJ.jpg

a4yVu62.jpg

wdZU2Ty.jpg

2Ci1FbT.jpg

FbSjj1Z.jpg

iMWvnza.jpg

36Oz6WA.jpg

36Oz6WA.jpg

W2PRAYS.jpg

vSSScKK.jpg

kaqNElT.jpg

f2lV2Ol.jpg

o2uHGUF.jpg

TRSzIgY.jpg

JMaXq7n.jpg

VQklTSF.jpg

KNsGWlE.jpg

yOhzObZ.jpg

fCV1lT5.jpg

LEqWlQA.jpg

0J1ecaf.jpg

dqcnhZV.jpg

Ran out of welding wire, and it was about time I quit for the night, so this will get finished next time...

lw5Xkxe.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke