Nissan Frontier Suspension Help

Topgun514

Adventurer
Hey Guys,

I may post over on clubfrontier but I am trying to get all my ducks in a row on something. I am going to pick up a new 2014, Nissan Frontier SV (deciding on value truck or not still) but want to get your take on lifts. I only want/ need 2 inches. Going with 32 inch tires probably but travel Utah- no rock crawling.

Should I get UCA's and what lift should I get. I am looking to do a bumper in front like an ARB or Shrock but do not want a winch, just the protection. I am hoping a local fab can do it in aluminum to save weight, and I will be putting my RTT in the back. I am torn between OME (kits on Nisstec lifts, is this good?) and PRG, and still up in the air on which to get and what to get and if I need/ should have A-Arms.

Thanks

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Haha you might get ripped apart if you post this on CF.

I'm planning on going OME with mine, and I'll buy from Nisstec. Lots of people like them. It's a really super simple and reliable lift system that has been engineered to death. It's pretty much a bolt in job that doesn't require too much faffing around, which is nice. I've had OME suspension parts on two previous rigs and they performed awesome. Hard wearing, nice ride, good articulation. Fit and finish were phenomenal. The downside is it doesn't actually increase travel. Depending on the kind of stuff you like to do, this might not be an issue at all. 32" tires look pretty good with this lift. The HD kit will hold the weight of the RTT really well too. You can go with aftermarket arms and such, but this is more cost and more work. The upshot is you get increased wheel travel, which will aid in traction.

ARB and Shrock bumpers are both a good choice. While you can get an ARB within a week or two, you'd be lucky to see a Shrock bumper within three months. Their wait times are absurd. ARB is great protection but it is a little bulbous. Again, this might not be a problem depending on what you like to do.

Good luck with the truck and I hope this helps!

humz

OME is great riding and would go with the HD springs if you plan on the RTT, aftermarket upper arms aren't really needed unless you plan on doing alot of wheeling. Have a look at Boulder Ironworks, there a new Nissan Fab company based out of Colorado that is using aluminum for armour. I saw there aluminum roof racks and skids first hand and they are amazing quality. There products will be available through Nisstec by the sounds of it but I would contact them directly to see if they can do a Aluminum bumper.

skibum315

Explorer
Sound advice there ... and one could always add arms after the fact, to an OME front setup, if more travel is found to be a need ... or if the coil-bucket contact is excessive.

ETA: Sound advice reference was to Wreckdiver's post ... though Humz is on-point as well. I hadn't heard about Boulder Ironworx coming to Nisstec, though that's not surprising given that they're both local CO companies. Boulder Nissan was the only 'storefront' vendor for BI gear that I had been aware of so far, but they're (BI) very new ... this GONE event that just passed was their official launch.

Topgun514

Adventurer
I would like to avoid coil bucket contact but is this something I should be aware of if I do NOT prerun? I want to do this lift right the first time.

SpongeX

Rust does a body good.
UCA replacement is the only way to avoid contact. I have the nisstec ultimate extended travel and its a lot better than stock.

Sent from my VS950 4G using Tapatalk

DesertFront

CONFUSED!
My 2013 Fronty has a nisstec kit on it. Radflo coilovers front, AAL's rear with emulsion shock option. I like it, it's two inches.
The spacers are ok and cheap but tend to have the upper control arm clang on full droop so if you go that way you'll hear that on the trails. Mine doesn't do that, I have stock UCA's on it still.

SpongeX

Rust does a body good.
The nisstec kit is spc arms and radflo coilovers

Sent from my VS950 4G using Tapatalk

KiwiKurt

Explorer
I'm having a hard time deciding what to get as well.

I like the ome kit for its durability, simplicity, etc but is 1.5" of lift once armored enough? If it was 2-2.5 with armor I'd jump on it.

Other options I'm considering is the 'go big or go home' with remote radlfo at all corners and custom alcan leafs...

Or maybe tjm long travel with UCA in the front and tjm gold in the rear with a Dakar spring pack and 2 HD leafs. That would be almost same cost as the ome kit...Trying at this point to figure out if tjm gold is quality or garbage. Its low price point makes me apprehensive.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

KiwiKurt

Explorer
Just learned in another thread that TJM's are likely sourced out of China. Which is an absolute no-go on my rig.

So, its either a OME which doesnt have enough lift, or big money on the big boy toys.

KiwiKurt

Explorer
I dont think the OME needs or benefits from UCA's, does it? My understanding is that the OME kit has a low lift amount because it was intended not to require UCA, and does not increase front wheel travel?

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Topgun, the OME setup will fit 265/75R16s without issue, even with a bumper. I haven't heard about UCA contact issues with the OME setup.

Here's my plan:
Full HD OME setup
PRG 1/2" front spacers
Rob a leaf out of my old pack OR add a 1"/1.5" shackle to retain a bit of rake.

With this setup, I should be able to get 2" front and back with bumpers, winch, and RTT. I might get a little coil bucket contact, but we shall see.

Topgun514

Adventurer
I am wondering if I get the HD OME coils (608) vs 607's...what the ride difference will be before I get a bumper?

I don't want it to be a jarring ride in the meantime before I get the bumper, but I dont want to get 607's and a bumper and lose all the lift too.

Also, probably leaning PRG 2.0, with SPC UCA, and the 2 pack Deaver AAL all from PRG though...unless someone can sway me towards the OME without UCA's...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94