Nissan Frontier overheating after electric fan install.

adrenaline503

Explorer
I might just switch back to the stock clutch fan. I like the benefits of the e-fans but reliability is probably more important.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
I have been running LS1 e-fans on my truck for five years now. Tested in the high desert of SW Oregon to central Utah. 100+ temps crawling the trails. They work better than the stock clutch fan for my application. I do tow a 4000# car and trailer from time to time. A 2000# boat on the weekends and a 1500# offroad trailer on trips. My truck can gross 5995# expedition ready. I went to e-fans since I wanted to improve low speed cooling and also lower the operating temperature. The stock clutch fan does not lock until 235 F and that is just too late. There are not lower temp clutches available for the s-series. A Ford Explorer fan and clutch is an option, but it has draw backs too, as it is smaller.

This is mine: LS1 fans conversion

AC stays cooler, warm ups are quicker. I have a manual override to activate or deactivate if needed. The VSC softens the load applied to the alternator, but as with any additional load, upgrading the alternator was necessary. It is a combination, not just adding fans that made the "whole" work properly. Controller, fans, t-stat, extra capacity radiator, alternator. It all must work together.

These fans were designed to keep a V-8 Camaro cool. They do just fine to keep my little V-6 running cool. The twin fans give some redundancy a double failure is not as likely. While the controller could be a problem, it is easily bypassed. I have not had any worries about failures. There are quite a few Camaros out there not losing any sleep over it either.

I will agree that the stock clutch fans are hard to beat. They are simple and at rpm they do move lots of air. Hard to beat that combination. The idea e-fans are going to save mileage is going to be hard to justify. The money spent in the conversion may never be recovered. If your stock fan is working, leave it alone.

In my case I wanted to lower the operating temperatures. This was my answer and it has worked very well for me.

Last edited:

BiG BoB

Adventurer
I would have to respectfully disagree sir, here is a list of my experience with my cars, family and friends' cars.
89 Buick lesaber 3.8l v6 with a 10” Hayden fan and 8” junk yard fan from cutlass or fire chicken or something, way more then adequate (even when the AC actually worked).
89 Isuzu trooper 2.2l turbo diesel with 12” Hayden fan, more then adequate.
93 Isuzu Amigo 2.6l I4 with 12” Hayden fan, more then adequate and far superior then stock mechanical fan.
88 F150 with 2 12” summit racing fans, adequate even for medium duty towing.
90 or 91 mustang 5.0 with 2 10” fans, adequate for armature drag racing and daily driver (although he did have to upgrade his alternator).

The only reason a Nissan Frontier v6 CAN’T have an electric fan would be the addition of other electric accessories out running the alternator. We could easily theorize a Maxima fan isn’t up to the task due to its variable speeds.
When you by a fan it should say how big of an engine it can cool, for example 14” Hayden fan should cool up to a 351 cu engine.

Where abouts are you in the world? The ambient temperature these vehicles are operating in would have a big impact on this.

While you might get away with driving at highway speeds in winter with your electric fan, it might not be as good working hard in soft sand at the height of summer.

roninjiro

Explorer
i tried using 2 12" summit racing electric fans myself with the a variable speed controller when i was living in utah. i have had nothing but trouble with it when i removed my stock clutch fan. but it did keep my a/c cool at stoplights better. but when i used those and the clutch fan..... it worked out great. i actually took one of the fans off and now just have one electric fan and the clutch fan. works wonderful still, but with less amperage draw and load on the alternator. i don't think i would wanna try to rely on just electric fans again, just too risky when your miles and miles from the most remote civilization. just my .02 :ylsmoke:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94